Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No other way of putting it - the blackest British team.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No other way of putting it - the blackest British team.

Sorry about this but, after 10 minutes today, we noticed that Dulwich Hamlet had 11 black (or Afro-Caribbran mixed race) players in their starting line-up. Anyone known this to happen before. (If anyone is concerned about me bringing this up, can I mention in my defence that I was concerned that, for a period that I supported them, Cardiff City had no black players in their squad).

This happens loads at much lower levels I'd imagine. There's at least one team in Cardiff composed only of Somali lads.

Comment

Ah, good point. There are a lot of Asian-only teams as well like Sporting Khalsa and Sporting Bengal United. Perhaps, I should narrow it down to pro or semi-pro teams. We can't prove it anyway but, anecdotally, someone might come up with another team.
      Last edited by Bored Of Education; 18-08-2018, 20:08.

Comment

back in 2003-4, a relatively small number of strategic injuries, and man utd could have played arsenal, and jens lehmann could have been the only white player on the pitch. It's also not inconceivable that this season liverpool or man utd field a team of non-white outfield players, playing in their positions. The tricky bit is goalkeepers. English clubs don't really tend to go for black goalkeepers very often.
        Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 18-08-2018, 21:02.

Comment

Arsenal were the team I was thinking of, except for the keeper, of course. Which brings about another delicate thread as to why black keepers are only recently becoming more commonplace?

Comment

Why does this need to be discussed?

Comment

I'm with Sits on this. No need.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                Ah, good point. There are a lot of Asian-only teams as well like Sporting Khalsa and Sporting Bengal United. Perhaps, I should narrow it down to pro or semi-pro teams. We can't prove it anyway but, anecdotally, someone might come up with another team.
                Nigeria. Seriously, what is this about?

Comment

It doesn't need to be discussed, it is just notable. There is no judgement call either way (aside from, obviously, it being nice to think that Tommy Robinson and his ilk would be pissed off). We have had discussions in the past about the first Asian/British footballer to break it into professional football and, as I remember, a discussion on black managers (or the lack thereof due to discrimination in clubs). We were also talking about Albert Johanneson on the "Paul Madely" thread. These are just facts about football and, more generally, about Britain. I am sure a lot of us saw the meme that The Migration Museum put about the England team without immigration pointing out a similar-ish fact.

I mean, if I have offended people, I am genuinely sorry as that was not my intention but, as I say, it is an area that we have, generally, discussed in the past.

Comment

Working...
                  X