Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kerala Floods

This is horrific.

More than 324 people have died in the worst flooding in nearly a century in the south Indian state of Kerala.

Roads are damaged, mobile phone networks are down, an international airport has been closed and more than 220,000 people have been left homeless after unusually heavy rain in the past nine days.

Last edited by Gerontophile; 18-08-2018, 07:38. Reason: possibly bad taste, and I am sorry.

Comment

I hope the man in the video got rescued. It feels like it's raining all over the world. Is it climate change or just some kind of 1000 year cyclical weather pattern?

Comment

Incredibly sad but at least the Indian government is responding with some sense of urgency, unlike US cases like Katrina and Puerto Rico. The Chief Minister's Office has the most authoritative info and a donations page:

https://twitter.com/CMOKerala?ref_sr...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Comment

Wrong thread, I know, but you can have floods of protests and other stuff so I'll stick it here. Where the hell do you start with these events?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-of-temple-ban

Passages such as this one just beggar belief:

The women, Bindu and Kanaka Durga, who are in their 40s, left after offering prayers to the deity Lord Ayyappa, who is celibate. It is this celibacy that is cited by Hindu traditionalists as the reason women under 50 should not enter the temple. The fear is that the women could “tempt” the deity.

I despair.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
            Wrong thread, I know, but you can have floods of protests and other stuff so I'll stick it here. Where the hell do you start with these events?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-of-temple-ban

Passages such as this one just beggar belief:

The women, Bindu and Kanaka Durga, who are in their 40s, left after offering prayers to the deity Lord Ayyappa, who is celibate. It is this celibacy that is cited by Hindu traditionalists as the reason women under 50 should not enter the temple. The fear is that the women could “tempt” the deity.

I despair.
            This is a religion that has racism hard baked into the religious doctrine........ even more so that the Catholic church, which is saying something.

Comment

What is the racism baked into catholic doctrine TG? I was under the impression that the great strength of Catholicism was that it was a thin veneer to paint over whatever bullshit you had going on in your own local culture. An infinitely malleable tool for the powerful to use against their own people and others. I don't really know of too many aspects of it that were like the more exciting aspects of Mormon scripture that they had to change to keep their tax exempt status.

Comment

Misogyny seems a more obvious parallel.

Comment

well every organized religion is into industrial amounts of that. That's historically been big in every culture. My point was that if the people in a certain culture, in a certain time and place needed Catholicism to mean something specific, it would step up and fit the bill. Hell it even managed to have liberation theologists, and priests who blessed the groups that killed those liberation theologists.
                  Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 05-01-2019, 02:22.

Comment

Working...
                  X