New Frontiers in Charitable Giving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Frontiers in Charitable Giving

After getting shellacked 8–1 at Needham Market on Tuesday night, Hitchin players have offered to repay traveling supporters the cost of admission. Generally there aren't more than about twenty go to midweek matches, so it won't mean anyone has to remortgage their house. A couple who did travel have already declined, making the point that it's the price you pay for following a football club, I suspect others will follow suit. Still the gesture is appreciated, and unusual. I've never heard of it happening before. Anyone else?

Sligo Rovers players gave part of their wages back last week after going out of the F.A.I cup meaning the fans have nothing but a relegation battle for the rest of the season,it obviously worked,they beat fellow strugglers Limerick 3.1 tonight

Comment

When H&Y won the Southern League Cup final in 2017, the players paid for a few drinks for the travelling fans, a) to celebrate and b) by way of an apology for relegation from the Premier Division, which had been confirmed a week earlier.

Comment

Are we just talking non-league here? Sunderland and I think Wigan have both done it in the Premier League in relatively recent seasons, haven’t they? Pretty sure an EFL team did it last season as well.

Comment

Hold your nose, it's the Express (sorry).

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...ng-Southampton

https://www.theguardian.com/football...rs-refund-fans

When Shrewsbury got tanked 7-1 at Chesterfield a couple of seasons ago, there wasn't a peep out the shower of shite that 'played' that day.

Not that I went mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
            After getting shellacked 8–1 at Needham Market on Tuesday night, Hitchin players have offered to repay traveling supporters the cost of admission. Generally there aren't more than about twenty go to midweek matches, so it won't mean anyone has to remortgage their house. A couple who did travel have already declined, making the point that it's the price you pay for following a football club, I suspect others will follow suit. Still the gesture is appreciated, and unusual. I've never heard of it happening before. Anyone else?
            The QPR players today should know about this precedent

Comment

Heh! There have been a certain number of polite suggestions in that regard.

Comment

Working...
              X