Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ebenezer Cobb Morley, footballs's origins and the Barnes connection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebenezer Cobb Morley, footballs's origins and the Barnes connection.

The Google Doodle thing today is about Ebenezer Cobb Morley, the first Secretary and then President of the Football Association who also drafted its first set of laws, who formed what appears to be the first 'football' club called the Barnes Club in 1839. I say "football club" but, although they played the first match - against Richmond - under the new FA rules running with the ball, holding or hacking an opponent, they later, at some unknown date, became and still are a rugby club. They were a founder member of the Football Association, competed in the first ever FA Cup and the first three secretaries of the FA were members of Barnes. Barnes forward Charles Morice represented England in the first ever international match between Scotland and England in 1872.

The reason I am interested is that I used to live next to and knock around in Barnes a lot especially on Barnes Green where Barnes played their first matches and I have played rugby at Barn Elms Park where they played after that.

Historical Football Kits have got a kit

Last edited by Bored Of Education; 16-08-2018, 15:13.

I have long had a plan to see the current Barnes RFC play as part of my travel around the fringes of SW London & Surrey rugby, at least partly due to their early history. Though their claim to date back to 1839 is undocumented.

Comment

Yeah, it's all based on a match report from their match against Richmond. When is the book likely to come out, do you think?

Comment

Morley was born here in Hull, and a local chap is campaigning for a statue in his honour.

As you were.

Comment

Working...
        X