No announcement yet.

Game 39 threat comes to Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now we'll find out whether the players will go through with that threatened strike, then, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
      Well, they've gone and done it - Girona will 'host' Barcelona in Miami in January. 1500 fans will be given free flights and accommodation and other season ticket holders will be refunded the price of that ticket. Girona reportedly being paid €4m for agreeing to it.
      So - I'm assuming that this is the fixture that 'would' have been played at the Montilivi? (Therefore, not actually 'Game 39' - the existence of which would obviously add an extra advantage [or disadvantage] to either side over the other eighteen teams that aren't having money thrown at them to honour this nonsense.)

Comment

Sid Lowe is reporting that they've also been told that the whole thing has to be as Spanish as possible - national anthem played, flags handed out to everyone and no symbols visible of Catalunya. Never mind the players, are the clubs going to agree to this?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
          So - I'm assuming that this is the fixture that 'would' have been played at the Montilivi? (Therefore, not actually 'Game 39' - the existence of which would obviously add an extra advantage [or disadvantage] to either side over the other eighteen teams that aren't having money thrown at them to honour this nonsense.)
          Yeah, we covered earlier in the thread that this is not actually a “Game 39”.

Comment

It must be Girona's biggest home match of the season too. What an utter farce

Comment

Typical OTF luddites. The future is here. Like the Jetsons we'll all be getting space cars to Miami to watch Girona soon. And you "traditional" football fans will be left behind in the crumbling ruins of Brexit watching AFC Bovril v Sheffield Nothingness while I'm banging models on a yacht with T-Pain and Flo Rida, and champagne, and Josep Maria Bartomeu, and that ginger div from CSI who puts his sunglasses on when the music goes WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW.

Comment

I have no desire to go see it but it would be easy for me to do so - only 90 miles from my house. Ironically La Liga is not part of my cable package.

I think the next step will be Champions League games in the US but bribing a minnow to accept a home leg on neutral soil will be harder because they'd be risking future revenue in the competition.

Choosing Barcelona is an incendiary move for the reasons stated above.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                  Yeah, we covered earlier in the thread that this is not actually a “Game 39”.
                  I figured you probably had. For whatever reason, I've only just got here.

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                  Typical OTF luddites. The future is here. Like the Jetsons we'll all be getting space cars to Miami to watch Girona soon. And you "traditional" football fans will be left behind in the crumbling ruins of Brexit watching AFC Bovril v Sheffield Nothingness while I'm banging models on a yacht with T-Pain and Flo Rida, and champagne, and Josep Maria Bartomeu, and that ginger div from CSI who puts his sunglasses on when the music goes WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW.
                  Not so much a 'luddite' here, as one who likes there to be a semblance of reason for doing such things.

Unless they're genuinely innovative, like. There's nothing progressive in this.

Edit: Not sure I'd want to risk being a part of Flo Rida's food-chain, either.
                  Last edited by Jah Womble; 06-09-2018, 11:47.

Comment

I thought the post was realistic until the part where EIM got laid.

Comment

Let's keep this friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        Sid Lowe is reporting that they've also been told that the whole thing has to be as Spanish as possible - national anthem played, flags handed out to everyone and no symbols visible of Catalunya. Never mind the players, are the clubs going to agree to this?
                        Of course Girona is Puigdemont's hometown.

Comment

Let's keep this friendly.
                          I trust that that isn't your opening gambit in the bedroom.

Comment

The bedroom? How 1950s of you!

Comment

Girona will not only be not playing this at home but, I'm guessing, most of the Miami crowd will be supporting Barcelona, so, in effect, Girona will be the away side.

Comment

Sid Lowe has an interview with the current head of the Spanish FA in Grauniad that makes it very clear that the Federation is anything but on board with this.

La Liga's "90 percent certain" estimate looks to me to be highly aspirational, and they seem to be completely clueless as to the fact that serious FCB supporters in the US tend to be much more supportive of Catalan autonomy than their counterparts at the Camp Nou.

Comment

The bedroom? How 1950s of you!
                                  It was a euphemistic bedroom.

In which one might find a surrealistic pillow.

Comment

Javier Tebas (president of La Liga) now wants to bring an Ecuadorean first division match to Spain

Comment

Are we seeing a long overdue Athletic revival? Deservedly lead Real 1-0 at the break, and tyro Unai Simon looks a readymade replacement for Kepa.

Comment

Is this the spanish league thread?

if so, here's luis suarez speaking about a narrow win at real sociedad.

“I think you have to see a game like this to see how tough La Liga is,” said Suarez. “Last year we also came from behind to win here and eight or nine years ago we wouldn’t win any games here. It’s a huge win for our confidence.”

He is correct. 8 or 9 years ago they completely failed to win any games at the anoeta in the league, back in Barcelona's doldrum days of 2008-9 and 2009-10. then again Sociedad were in the second tier at the time,

Comment

And Luisito was at Ajax

It appears that we do not have a "proper" La Liga thread for this season.

Comment

Might as well have this be it, then.

Valverde starts without both Messi and Busquets and Barcelona can only salvage a late draw at home to Athletic Club.

That's seven points in La Liga dropped in seven days.

Messi came on after an hour and caused carnage (creating the winner, hitting the posts, setting up excellent chances that were spurned), but Athletic did save themselves a goal by employing a new tactic against free kicks, leaving a defender inside the small box who was able to head Messi's shot off the line with the keeper well beaten.

Comment

For the second time this week, Madrid cannot capitalise on Barca's misstep, only being able to get a goalless draw at home to Atleti.

Comment

And yet Barcelona are still (joint) leaders. Also, if Huesca win tomorrow, they will be only 7 points off the top of the table.

Comment

Not only were Real Madrid held scoreless for the fourth straight match, but Alaves conjured an injury time winner at the Bernabeu.

Comment

Does this show the importance of Zidane or of Ronaldo prior to this season?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X