Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My spirits grow Dul(wich) - Weekend matchgoing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bollocks. The first goal in Lane's new world is scored by Ampthill. Leaving a Lane player flat out. Looked worrying for a moment.

Comment

Daft fucking penalty for the mob.

Comment

Scored. 0-2.

Comment

And Lane keep missing chances.

Comment

Cardiff 0 v 0 Newcastle
            Better game than you'd think. Newcastle had a man sent off in the second half but should have had one sent off after 3 minutes. Their game plan seemed to be to out-bastard Cardiff and they succeeded.

Cardiff had plenty of chances but in the 96th minute gave away a harsh penalty. Everyone around me groaned. Typical! But then the keeper saved it. Everyone cheered as if it was a winning goal, then the ref blew as Cardiff broke downfield.

A few minutes earlier I'd told my friends that I wasn't convinced by the keeper. His kicking wasn't great. But with that penalty save he made me look a bit of a chump.

Comment

Yay! Ball touch!

Comment

Nowt much happening this half, so I'll mention that it's yellow - green - yellow v orange - black - orange...

Comment

Non electronic substitute boards. Not seen that before.

Comment

Sorry, that's board singular...

Comment

Some serious grumpiness amongst the Lane fans and entourage leads to a sending off from the bench.
                      Still ten minutes to go...

Comment

Second, less impressive, ball touch...

Comment

And a third...

Comment

Finishes 0-2. And I've got a minute to drink my 80/-...

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Cardiff 0 v 0 Newcastle
                              Better game than you'd think. Newcastle had a man sent off in the second half but should have had one sent off after 3 minutes. Their game plan seemed to be to out-bastard Cardiff and they succeeded.

Cardiff had plenty of chances but in the 96th minute gave away a harsh penalty. Everyone around me groaned. Typical! But then the keeper saved it. Everyone cheered as if it was a winning goal, then the ref blew as Cardiff broke downfield.

A few minutes earlier I'd told my friends that I wasn't convinced by the keeper. His kicking wasn't great. But with that penalty save he made me look a bit of a chump.
                              That team losing to a 96th minute penalty from a 10 man team at home would have made my fucking day.

Comment

Onto nicer matters, we had the visit of Ver Hamlet and their hipster hordes. Matchwise, Dulwich Hamlet scored within 3 minutes and looked like they could have got 1 or 2 more first half as they continuously put through the ball that split our centre-halves that led to the goal. Bath City's first half performance was the worst 45 minutes I have seen them play this season. After the half time break, a judicious substitution to shore up midfield, a quick goal to equalise and it was all Bath but not quite enough so that, even after our second goal, we looked secure. DH are good value, a good side with an away support much bigger than I had told to expect but as noisy as I thought. They are a good addition to the league and I hope they stay here. A couple of things though, for all their hipster credentials, there was a loud admonishment for one of our players for being a "ponce" from their supporters and one of their very affable supporters had pwoper naw'ee Stone Island in the pub after. Ironic, I expect.

Comment

One of those days where no fixtures particularly stood out. In the end I decided to go over to Huddersfield to watch the West Yorkshire Division Two game between Huddersfield YMCA and Glasshoughton Rock. YMCA play a couple of miles (uphill) from the town centre at a sports complex where rugby union is clearly the dominant sport - the main rugby pitch has an impressive stand whilst the football pitch is railed but otherwise only has an overgrown dugout.

The game was rather one sided with Glasshoughton (who won the Wakefield League as Rock Inn last season but have had to change their name due to league rules) taking the lead about fifteen minutes on. They got a second before half time and another three in the second half. I suspect YMCA would rather I don't come to see them again - they lost 4-0 when I saw them previously and never looked like scoring this afternoon.

Comment

I purloined a wheelchair and took my dad down to Foxton rec to watch the cricket match between Foxton's second team and Wisbech. The relative sizes of Foxton (nondescript small village) and Wisbech (major regional hub albeit in the fens) suggest that the fact that Foxton II are in the same division as Wisbech is already a bit weird. But not only this but Foxton II are top of the league with (before today) 14 wins out of 15. We showed up after Wisbech had posted a par-ish 223 from their 45 overs and Foxton were already 41-3. Worse was to follow as the 5th wicket fell at 62. But a scrappy partnership of 110 for the 6th wicket and the stereotypical fat slogger in at number 8 saw Foxton home by 4 wickets with 9 overs to spare. And gave me the opportunity to hang out with my not-long-for-this-world dad and actually get him out of the house. All in all a good day

Comment

That's a really moving post, Ad Hoc.

A footballing first for me yesterday, as I experienced my first ever floodlight failure. It happened around 70 minutes into Zilina vs Sered, with the score at 1-1. Someone had obviously brought along a toolbox, as the problem was fixed within about 10 minutes. Zilina went on to secure a 2-1 win with a goal from 18 year-old striker Robert Bozenik.

Sered were the better side for most of those first 70 minutes though. The turning-point of the game was probably not the lights going out, but Zilina scoring a rather soft equaliser 10 minutes or so into the 2nd half, and just 2 minutes after Sered had taken the lead.

Lubo Michalik, rather like the Sered team as a whole, was assured for much of the game, but a bit ragged towards its end. He got himself a last-minute booking for a crunching foul on Bozenik. Besides their matchwinner, Zilina had two other 18 year-olds in the starting line-up, with a fourth coming on as a half-time sub. They should get better, and I'm sure there'll be worse sides in the league than Sered.

Comment

Continuing the move back to Blighty and the old and the new at Lviv, with the scene for the last forty years on the right with a very thirsty soviet era 2M62 arriving in from Ivano-Frankivsk, whilst on the left, my first sight of the new electric railcars, fresh off the boat from Rotem in Korea. The latter was my rather unspectacular ride across the border to Przemysl.

A shambolic stagger across south east Poland eventually deposited me in Katowice, where a tram ride to the Upper Silesian Legendia theme park also took me to the evening game of GKS Katowice, a product of the merger of a host of local clubs in the 1960s.

They currently play in the second tier of Polish football, and were entertaining Suwalki from the north east extremes of the country, on the Lithuanian border. The ground has a very large, and very steep stand on one side.

However, I was in the smaller enclosure opposite, with the obligatory ultras in residence, led by a fiery looking individual shouting into a microphone, accompanied on the podium by a smaller bloke playing a variety of instruments. A bit like Yazoo.

In a not that dull but not that exciting game, the home side scored twice, everyone took their tops off and twirled them round their heads, and the game finished 2-0. I went back to the tram stop using the chair lift across the adjacent theme park.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                          I purloined a wheelchair and took my dad down to Foxton rec to watch the cricket match between Foxton's second team and Wisbech. The relative sizes of Foxton (nondescript small village) and Wisbech (major regional hub albeit in the fens) suggest that the fact that Foxton II are in the same division as Wisbech is already a bit weird. But not only this but Foxton II are top of the league with (before today) 14 wins out of 15. We showed up after Wisbech had posted a par-ish 223 from their 45 overs and Foxton were already 41-3. Worse was to follow as the 5th wicket fell at 62. But a scrappy partnership of 110 for the 6th wicket and the stereotypical fat slogger in at number 8 saw Foxton home by 4 wickets with 9 overs to spare. And gave me the opportunity to hang out with my not-long-for-this-world dad and actually get him out of the house. All in all a good day
                                          Agree with James, a very nice post.

My sister lives in Foxton and her son plays for them. My parents are over there this weekend, and they always go and watch him play at the cricket, so possible that both our dads were at the game!

Comment

Small world. If your nephew plays for the first team they were away yesterday (not sure where). But I will happily imagine that somewhere nearby to me yesterday was Mr. &Fire Senior. (it's not like there was a vast crowd)

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
                                              a fiery looking individual shouting into a microphone, accompanied on the podium by a smaller bloke playing a variety of instruments. A bit like Yazoo.
                                              This made me giggle a fair old amount.

Comment

Braintree Town 3 Havant & Waterlooville 4

Conference National

An excellent start to the English season for me from what was a random choice due to it’s proximity to my evening commitment. My decision was vindicated once I realised H&W still feature 36 year old OIHSP? candidate and former Welsh internationalist Brian Stock whose midfield promptings I always enjoyed watching. Sadly he wasn’t joined by Paul Robinson of the same age who signed for The Hawks from Wimbledon in the summer.

Both these sides came up for the Conference South last season, H&W as champions and Braintree via the play-offs (the final of which I saw when they overcame Hampton & Richmond at their place on penalties). The visitors continued their superiority from the last campaign, taking the lead in the very first minute and dominating the game for half an hour but somehow found themselves 2-1 down soon after when The Iron took advantage of two set pieces to take the lead.

Parity was restored in the last minute of the half (it’s always satisfying when a team’s goal times are listed as 1 and 45, isn’t it?) when constant pressure on the hosts box resulted in an H&W defender forcing a header home when Braintree couldn’t get a cross cleared after multiple attempts.

The second half was far more even, Braintree probably even shading it which comes as no real surprise as H&W ran out of steam especially as their play was controlled by the aging Stock. They looked like they’d lost it when they let an aimless ball through to home striker Grant who got his second of the game in the 72nd minute and they then huffed and puffed to little effect for the rest of the ninety minutes.

However, with neither team having won a game since promotion, nerves set in during injury time and H&W nicked an equaliser in the 94th minute from a long punt upfield by the keeper landing at their striker’s feet for a relatively simple finish. Worst/better was to come two minutes later when Stock stepped up for a free kick quite far out and despatched a deep ball of trademark golf shot accuracy on to the head of a team mate to score unopposed. Cue bedlam for the visiting support and players (especially after being on the wrong end of a 4-3 at Dover earlier in the week) and fury from the rest of the crowd.

The only real downside was the very poor crowd of 407 which, combined with Braintree’s neat but rudimentary ground, gave much of the the game a bit of an Isthmian feel even if the finish would have graced any match.
                                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 19-08-2018, 15:35.

Comment

1-1 at half time here at Turf Moor. Watford went ahead after 90 seconds through Andre Gray. Only surprise was they hadn’t gone ahead even earlier.

Tarkowski equalised on five minutes from a corner. Fans have exchanged “Hoof!”s through some particularly agricultural moments.

Watford’s kit makes them all look 7 feet tall. So Troy Deeney looks like a very tall... fat bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                    Watford’s kit makes them all look 7 feet tall. So Troy Deeney looks like a very tall... fat bastard.
                                                    The word 'goalscoring' somehow got missed out of that description, Snake.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X