Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My spirits grow Dul(wich) - Weekend matchgoing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My spirits grow Dul(wich) - Weekend matchgoing.

I am on a roll after last night's display at Fortress Twerton and we welcome new boys Dulwich Hamlet this Saturday. Although we lost out on Hereford and their massive away support, the promotion of Hamlet seems to had added some enthusiasm. Maybe it's hopes of large numbers of travelling "Rabble" (although I hear they don't bring a lot) or the pink change kit. We are meeting with some of their Supporters' Trust beforehand as I think they are looking at our community ownership as some sort of model for a way forward for them. Football-wise, they are supposed to be a large-ish team who aren't very mobile which should suit us down to the ground (quite literally).

Battle of the B Towns on Sunday. Barry Town v Bala Town. Barry got tonked 5-1 away last week so need to bounce back.

Comment

We "entertain" Carlisle.

A lot of my family are making their first appearance in some time so I'm very much looking forward to the social side of this weekend. My twin cousins are also having their 21st birthday party in the Robin's Nest (club bar) a couple of hours after the game, so it should be a decent day if nothing else.

Let's just hope the football itself doesn't ruin it.

Comment

To the Turf for the last time until Christmas for Clarets vs Watford.

Comment

I have to be in Chelmsford for a work thing Saturday evening so hoping to precede it with a local game.

Braintree Town v Havant & Waterlooville or Maldon & Tiptree v Brentwood Town are my two most likely options. Does anyone have any thoughts on either or other recommendations (I’m not going to Billericay unless there is a very good chance they’ll lose, which doesn’t seem likely).

Comment

Last Dublin derby of the season for me,Shamrock Rovers v Bohemian fc.
            I should be confident as a Bohs fan,this season we've played three times so far,we've won two and drawn one of the games despite being behind in all three games and only ahead for 14 minutes in total,plus they were beaten in the cup last week so morale must be on the floor with another trophyless season,that being said I feel we've used up all our luck for this year,I'd take a point right now

Comment

Contemplating a trip to Aldershot Town v Harrogate Town, as the former's ground is one of those I've always liked the look of but never visited.

Comment

Should be Rayners Lane v Ampthill Town for me. Will they bring their mob?

Comment

Travelling to Scarbados on Saturday - so that's flat cap Saturday for the Kiddy game scratched.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post
                    Contemplating a trip to Aldershot Town v Harrogate Town, as the former's ground is one of those I've always liked the look of but never visited.
                    I think you’ll enjoy it, I went there with The Boy just before Xmas when nothing else suggested itself and really liked it. Like a late eighties/early nineties Division Four theme park.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                      I have to be in Chelmsford for a work thing Saturday evening so hoping to precede it with a local game.

Braintree Town v Havant & Waterlooville or Maldon & Tiptree v Brentwood Town are my two most likely options. Does anyone have any thoughts on either or other recommendations (I’m not going to Billericay unless there is a very good chance they’ll lose, which doesn’t seem likely).
                      Ironic that Chelmsford City themselves are playing just around the corner from your house.

Comment

Just been offered a ticket for Cardiff v Newcastle tomorrow. Games in 2 different premier leagues in the same weekend at this rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                          Ironic that Chelmsford City themselves are playing just around the corner from your house.
                          Ha, I hadn’t spotted that. I’ll wave as we pass on the M25.

Comment

My only game so far this season has been Albion vs Bolton. So I'm looking forward to my first Slovak game tomorrow : Zilina vs Sered. The visitors are newly-promoted to the top division, and have never played in it before. Their home ground has been deemed unfit to stage league games, so they're playing in exile at Spartak Myjava. But they've signed a few players with plenty of top league experience* and have started the season well (7 points from 4 games) so it looks like being a close one.

*One of these is Lubomir Michalik, formerly of Bolton, Leeds and Carlisle among many, many others.

Comment

Ah well.

Scarbados are away to Hednesford tomorrow.

Comment

Ray lives in Hampton? Fancy. Might actually be going to that Hampton-Chelmsford game meself.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                                  *One of these is Lubomir Michalik, formerly of Bolton, Leeds and Carlisle among many, many others.
                                  Ah, Lubo - how we could with a defender like him these days.

Comment

Yes, I had the impression he was well thought of at Carlisle. He was a bit unlucky not to be in Slovakia's Euro 2016 squad, having been part of the 22 throughout qualification. He was never a threat to Skrtel or Durica as first-choice centre-back but never let the side down when he did play. Then Milan Skriniar emerged that spring and Lubo's chance was gone.

He was captain of Dunajska Streda in the Slovak top-league for a couple of seasons, till they let him go to Sered last year. It looked like he'd play out his career at the lower level, but then, to everyone's surprise, Sered got promoted.

Comment

A rare double header for me.
                                      Tonight, it's Godmanchester v Histon if it has survived the recent rain. Should be a great game, both sides having 100% records after three games.

Tomorrow, it's Cambridge City v Corby in the opening round of he Southern-Central division. City are back to ground-sharing with Histon after the three previous seasons at St. Ives. The last ground share with Histon ended with some acrimony, hopefully this will be different. The experience of ground-sharing with St. Ives may hopefully give some City fans a better understanding of the damage playing 40+ games can do to a pitch, instead of blaming the landlords for everything.

Comment

So, photobucket finally kicks in as I work my way back across the continent.

Firstly, this is the reason I head to the ex Soviet countries for diesel haulage.

Anyway, to the football, and Friday afternoon third tier U19s football in Lviv.

Except after ten minutes everything goes dark.

We then experience the most violent thunderstorms and torrential rain I’ve ever seen at a game. Despite the lightening landing all around us, play carries on.

The ball boys had long since given up, cue the farcical sight of players paddling through the running track as the ball was floating away in the lake that it now held.

A short lull in the weather, and I made a break for it, only for the city to suffer a power surge which imobilised our tram, resulting in the rarest diesel haulage of the whole trip.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                                          Ray lives in Hampton? Fancy. Might actually be going to that Hampton-Chelmsford game meself.
                                          Bored exaggerated a tad, I’m just over the river (by delightful bijou ferry trip) in East Molesey.

Comment

I would always make sure I took the ferry (except I seem to always miss the H & R away game).

Comment

New 3G pitch at Rayners Lane. The old car park is now a building site surrounded by yellow and green hoardings. The new social club is under way. And we haven't got a fucking referee...

Comment

Finally kick off twelve minutes late...

Comment

Disadvantage is the moving of the dugouts to this side. Still, at least they're see-through...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X