No announcement yet.

Vuelta a Espaņa & Tour of Britain 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was indeed grim. At least he maintained consciousness.

Comment

Ah, that's good. I had a suspicion that he may have actually crashed because he'd passed out in the saddle.

Comment

There have been a rash of punctures in the last 10km (including S Yates) and I'm wondering if the anti-uranium mine protesters in the area may have spread tacks.

Comment

And that's sixty even for Quick-Step, as Viviani gets the perfect lead out from Mørkøv and Sabatini.

Comment

Pinot among the 19 riders in the break, which means that they are unlikely to be allowed to maintain their current lead of 3:45.

Bouhani has left the race.

Comment

13 seconds gained by Pinot...still- he had to try.

Noticeably more green in the region around Salamanca than last week in cordoba

Comment

13 seconds gained by Pinot...still- he had to try.

Noticeably more green in the region around Salamanca than last week in cordoba

Comment

LottoNL - Jumbo win the uphill TTT on the Whinlatter Pass and Roglic takes the race lead.

Comment

In Spain, an 18 man break have more than ten minutes with about 60km (and 3rd category climb) left.

Herrada is the virtual leader by several minutes.

Comment

I saw the stage in Bristol having missed stage two due to a delayed train. The whole day out was good but for the overcast weather. Tour of Spain has been good on paper - I haven't seen much live though.

Comment

Lively start to today's Tour of Britain stage in what looks a bright but chilly day in the Lakes. The peloton got split in the winds coming off Morecambe Bay which Hayles variously described as being headwind, crosswind, cross-head and tailwind. Alaphilippe got three seconds back on Roglic at the intermediate sprint then both came down in a crash, not sure how that happened. Neither seems to be badly hurt as they got back riding and their teams are on the front. Now there's a break gone featuring Martin, Kiriyenka, Shaw and Connor Swift as they hit the hills.

Comment

The earlier climbs turned out to be too far from the finish for anyone to try a serious move (how often have we said that in this race?) so it came down to a real mano a mano fight up Whinlatter. Jungels set a searing pace in the first k, Alaphilippe made his move and was followed by Roglic and Hugh Carthy. Roglic cracked with 2k left, Wout Poels dragged himself across to the front, wheelsucked for a bit then eventually jumped away to win the stage. Alaphilippe was a second behind and he'll be in the race lead now. Not seen any formal results but that should be enough for him to secure the overall given that its a pair of flat stages this weekend. Tom Pidcock was frequently visible and took an excellent sixth.

Comment

Just watched yesterday's Vuelta highlights. I see they're into that phase of the race where they use silly summit finishes that are ramp tests rather than actual racing.

Raining up here for the Tour of Britain, would think there'll be a fair few abandons today. Probably including Froome.

Comment

Interesting break on today's Vuelta stage (feat. five categorised climbs, incl. three 1st category)

Kwiato, Roche, Woods, De Gendt, Bookwalter, Ivan Garcia

They have quickly gotten three minutes on the peleton

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                Raining up here for the Tour of Britain, would think there'll be a fair few abandons today. Probably including Froome.
                                Hope not, I was thinking of popping down to boo him tomorrow. Could boo Thomas instead I suppose.

I like the harsh summit finishes, they reward patience and a cool head.

Comment

Went to the Tour of Britain myself today, saw the race come through Clumber Park. Was surprised by the crowd size (or lack thereof), there were no more than when the race came through the same location last year and that was midweek. Suspect the rain might have put a few off and enjoyed the true British spunk of those carrying on regardless, there was a huge group of folk having a gathering under three gazebos.

Stannard led the break through then about six minutes later the peloton passed and the race was on, the field was strung out, ONE had a rider on the front, a couple of Mitcheltons, a Direct Energie then all of Quick Step (Alaphilippe annoyingly having a team cape on so not identifiable) and then they came through with all the teams clustered together, Sky, Sunweb, Movistar, LottoNL. Greipel was looking at his team mates and wanted to be moved up.

Got this photo of Chavanel and Poels in conversation with Thomas behind them. I am aware the quality of neither the photo nor the experience is anywhere near the last time anyone posted their own image of Thomas on here.

Comment

Probably won't decide till the last minute whether to go. I know that's a luxury, but my idea of attending a bike race always involves perching on a large rock about 30 feet above a wooded sun-dappled Italian climb rather than standing on Aldwych under grey skies drawing stares for being the loudest person present like when I went down to stage 3 of the 2014 Tour.

For clarification, I wouldn't boo any rider, except possibly Moscon. They flog their guts out to provide me near endless entertainment I pay nought pence for, and if I go I will be enthusiastically cheering and applauding the lot.

That's a cool photo, thanks for posting.

Comment

The final straight on lower Regents Street is very narrow. Just a wide single lane maybe a lane and a half.

I am also surprised that one side of the final 300 m is a hospitality zone.

Comment

I couldn't bring myself to take a free Festina cycling cap. It's sort of nice they persist in supporting cycling but it's a tainted name for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                          I am also surprised that one side of the final 300 m is a hospitality zone.
                                          Big day for teams and sponsors this, you get to schmooze guests in the centre of London. There's some suggestions that some teams enter the race purely for this opportunity.

Comment

The final climb in la vuelta today is brilliant.

I have a big man crush on Valverde

Comment

Just spectacular, especially with the fog

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                Just spectacular, especially with the fog
                                                Yes the fog really made it

Comment

Quintana's clearly been studying Movistar's Big Book Of Daft Tactics in great depth. Try fucking riding, Nairo.

Comment

Especially after all the work Valverde was doing for him (even though he was actually ahead of Quintana on GC)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X