No announcement yet.

Vuelta a Espaņa & Tour of Britain 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimension Data and EF Education First - Drapac p/b Cannondale winning World Tour races on consecutive days. What a time we live in.

Comment

Cofidis have no sense of dramatic narrative at all.

Bouhanni punching his DS and team car was a much better story than an anodyne penalty for a late feed.

Comment

Why exactly was the padding that caused that crash in the middle of the road?

Comment

There looked to be a small traffic island, the purpose of which was not obvious.

Comment

Though it had more purpose than those barriers across the run out.

Comment

Smoothly done Spain, smoothly done.

Comment

The fighter plane display with the red/yellow/red smoke was a nice coda to the carnage.

Comment

Wasn’t it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that done in any colours other than red, white and blue (GB, France and maybe USA) before. It reminded me to dig out my shonky video of the Patrouille de France over the Champs-Élysées.

Comment

The Italians do it in their tricolore (indeed the acrobatic team is called Frecce Tricolori (tricolour arrows))

They may well be at Monza this weekend.

ursus minor noted that a meh stage on a Thursday afternoon seemed like a strange choice for such a display. The best guess I have is that it was a naval squadron based in Cartagena.

Comment

That or the organisers scrambled the fighters at last minute to try and distract from the nonsense with the street furniture.

It looks even cooler in red, white and green - natch.

Comment

Finally caught up with the ITV highlights after a long weekend at a wedding in Norwich.

it's even more open than the pre-race 'what an open race' predictions, isn 't it?

Skeh manage to annoy even when they're not sucking the life out of everything-the arrogant way they packaged their relinquishing of the red jersey in particular.

Not seen enough of Caja Rural, whose jersey I always like, so far.

But enjoying it and looking forward to the summits to come.

Comment

Valverde takes it from Sagan on the line in a stage that was clearly designed for them.

Genuine joy from AV.

Comment

Watching the ITV highlights earlier I got the sense that David Millar wasn't terribly impressed with Valverde's performance.

Some proper Vuelta over the last couple of days, arid landscapes, no spectators, badly surfaced roads and courses that bear no relation to the roadbook.

Comment

Had to wait till this morning to see Sagan "stealing in like a Zeppelin in the night". Race is on from the start today.

Comment

Greipel wins the opening stage of the Tour of Britain after Gaviria launched way too early.

Comment

Peloton showing signs of life at the Vuelta.

They don’t seem to mind leaving the stage for the break, but don’t want Ben King (currently the virtual leader by 3+ minutes) to take red.

Comment

Some tinpottery from the Tour of Britain there, there was a crash just before the end of the neutral zone so they stopped the race just after the formal start point to allow the riders affected to catch up, then waved the flag and began the stage from a standing start rather than having a k of riding to bring the riders back up to a racing speed. Unsurprisingly there were no serious efforts at an immediate attack.

Comment

I thought the logo for the newly renamed Geraint Thomas National Velodrome of Wales was quite clever :

https://twitter.com/TeamSky/status/1036299625966264321

Comment

The morning break (just!) stuck in the Tour of Britain, Cameron Meyer won the stage and Bardiani's Alessandro Tonelli took the lead. Another group finished just behind including Alaphilippe, Roglic, Poels and Jungels - the race winner will likely come from those currently in the top ten on GC. Thomas and Froome were on domestique duty and lost three and eleven minutes respectively.

Difficult to tell what was happening at times owing to only having three camera bikes and some familiarly poor commentary. The lead man is passable - think he's the chap who does the circuit commentary at British Cycling events. Rob Hayles on the other hand has nothing to say beyond the bleeding obvious and delivers it in a very boring voice.

Rest day in the Vuelta. Dan Martin has gone home as his wife is due to give birth to twins imminently.

Comment

Tony Martin and Ben Swift among the breakaway four with a 35 second lead with 22km left in Britain, though my money is on Quick-Step and either Alaphilippe or Jungels.

My primary interest in this stage of the Vuelta is that it visits a part of Spain near the Portuguese border I know virtually nothing about.

Comment

They've used this Bristol finish before - it's got Alaphilippe written all over it. Been a fun stage actually, took absolutely ages (like about half the stage) for the break to form and it's never got more than a minute's advantage.

Comment

Ah, it's not the same finish as previous years, they crossed the suspension bridge rather than climbing up from the east side of the river.

Comment

Though Alaphilippe won the sprint anyway.

Comment

59th win for Quick-Step this season

Comment

Horrible looking crash for Petilli in the Vuelta. He appeared to hit the road face first badly damaging his arm/shoulder/collarbone and was hit by another rider following him.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X