No announcement yet.

Aretha Gravely Ill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well. What on EARTH could link Kelly Clarkson and Linda Ronstadt?

Give me a minute, I'll get there.

Comment

He must have dustbin lids for ears

I am so stealing that.

Comment

You know someone is a genius when they make everything look so easy, and their imitators make it look so hard. It's unfortunate that so many of these imitators focused on the power of her voice, rather than her immaculate phrasing, or her careful decisions about when to use that power

Comment

Well put Berba.

Comment

The NR also spells Billie Holiday's name incorrectly:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...ican-original/

But what are the author's credentials for writing a musical obituary? https://www.nationalreview.com/author/dan-mclaughlin/

Dan McLaughlin is an attorney practicing securities and commercial litigation in New York City, and a contributing columnist at National Review Online. He is also a former contributing editor of RedState, columnist at the Federalist and the New Ledger, a baseball blogger at BaseballCrank.com, BostonSportsGuy.com, the Providence Journal Online, and a contributor to the Command Post. His writings on politics, baseball, and law have appeared in numerous other newspapers, magazines, websites, and legal journals.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                Well. What on EARTH could link Kelly Clarkson and Linda Ronstadt?

Give me a minute, I'll get there.
                Regardless of ethnicity, neither of them was fit to butter Aretha's sandwiches.

'Kelly Clarkson', I mean, Jesus wept.

Comment

I can't imagine that either singer would like to be dragged into this insane nonsense.

Comment

Ronstadt has Parkinson's and does everything she can to avoid attention.

Clarkson said this before the Baseball Crank weighed in

Aretha Franklin is the reason why I sing from that part deep inside of me that few could ever reach. She was my favorite and will always be. What a gift she has left all of us with her musical footprints. There will never be another like her. She was truly special. #QueenOfSoul

Comment

you see that is exactly the sort of thing an actual professional musician would say. That's the sort of thing that you would hear from someone who has got far enough down the line in their craft, to be able to recognize just how good someone else is. The more you learn about music, the better you are able to appreciate real genius. I was at a concert about a decade ago of Traditional flute players, it was basically a who's who of musicians, but when Matt Malloy of the chieftains came out to do the final half hour, the rest of the performers were all either visible in the wings, or sitting in the front row, all desperate to see this guy playing, and with no self-consciousness about their adoration. These would be ordinary enough people, whose music would be their claim to fame, (the sort of environment that would normally breed absurd petty jealousies) basically acting like schoolgirls at a beatles concert. In fairness though, Matt Molloy is fucking amazing, and also one of the nicest people you could meet.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        Ronstadt has Parkinson's and does everything she can to avoid attention.

Clarkson said this before the Baseball Crank weighed in
                        Much more generous than that clip going around of Aretha casting shade on Taylor Swift.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          The NR also spells Billie Holiday's name incorrectly:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...ican-original/
                          Obit aside, the header bar in that link reads "Aretha Franklin dead at 67". I mean dang people...

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                            Much more generous than that clip going around of Aretha casting shade on Taylor Swift.
                            I'd be happy that I was famous enough to be disrespected by someone like Aretha.

Comment

Aretha, Nessun Dorma, 1998 Grammys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqECvv7ecPk

Apparently she only had two days to learn it after Pavarotti pulled out due to illness
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-08-2018, 13:36.

Comment

Yes. There was a radio interview with her opera coach this week, very interesting and moving. Aretha called her from hospital to book practice time, she was gonna sing right up until the end.

Comment

I found her funeral very interesting on so many levels.
                                  She was a very interesting Woman and did alot in front and behind the scenes during the civil rights era.

The dominant society talking crap about her is so expected that I can't even be bothered to get upset about any more.

Comment

I watched the funeral service and it was very moving although Jennifer Hudson over emoted badly.

Aretha Franklin belonged to the world. Like Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, a few others. They gave too much to be confined to one continent.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                                      I watched the funeral service and it was very moving although Jennifer Hudson over emoted badly.

Aretha Franklin belonged to the world. Like Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, a few others. They gave too much to be confined to one continent.
                                      There were so many things wrong with the funeral.

Firstly, it went on way too long, i felt for those 70+ year old men who had to sit through all that
                                      Secondly, there were too many big headed attention seekers who were more interested in hugging the limelight than paying respects
                                      Thirdly Ariana Grande turns up to the funeral dressed like the was going to the nightclub (see my second point)
                                      That coon preacher talking so much nonsense that he had to be verbally slapped down by a blind man (did he get his Eulagy speech written by Fox news)
                                      The pathetic attempt to sideline the Honourable Minister Farrakhan, he wasn't allowed to speak and he was cropped out of the pictures by most news outlets (this has not gone unnoticed by many)
                                      The absence of Obama (i'm not surprised, although many are)

Aretha deserved much better than this.

Comment

We showed Blues Brothers at our Cineclub as a tribute. Better than i remembered it, as it happens (a pal was obsessed with it, insisted on putting it on when we got in late from the Poly disco, and we couldn't argue cos it was usually his dope, so I got heartily sick of it in the 80s).

Anyway, waiting for a negotiating meeting a few days later I was in the cafe in the admin/management block when Think came on the radio. The two middle-aged women serving turned it up and were dancing around the kitchen in their tabards/overalls, rather as Aretha does in that routine, so I said-

'we showed that film the other night.'

'What film?'

'The one where she dances around the kitchen telling her no good hubbie to 'think again': Blues Brothers!'

'Never 'eard of it, petal'

Went back this week and one of them had got hold of a copy and was thanking me heartily for pointing it out to them.

Life imitating art!

Comment

Working...
                                        X