No announcement yet.

Strictly 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graeme Swann - really difficult for me to score my knowledge of him because I had the spoiler. I am the most cricket-oblivious man in England, honestly I would struggle to name 20 cricketers from the entire worldwide history of the sport, and have never watched more than 30 consecutive seconds of cricket on television, but I think I might have been vaguely conscious that "Graeme Swann" was the name of a cricketer. So yes, it's now 1/6 for me, sort of.

Comment

Announcement no.7 - Dr Ranj. That's an "almost" for me, in that I did catch some of "Get Well Soon" when my youngest watched it in her nursery school year, but not to the point where I really committed the individual doctor(s) to memory. So still barely 1/7 for me. Or 0/7 if I'd had to name people from a photo, as I sort of knew GS was a cricketer but had no idea of him (including what he looks like) beyond that.

Comment

I hadn't previously realised that you're a judge...

Comment

I get more judge-like as I get older. Funnily enough, I do occasionally wonder about applying for a first tier tax tribunal judge post at some time in the next few years.

Comment

I'll claim a half for Danny John-Jules then, as I recognised him from the telly, but didn't know his name.

1.5/7.

Comment

Yay! I pretty much knew who Stacey Dooley is. If I'm being honest, I might* have struggled to put a name to the face, but I'm awarding myself a point anyway, so that's anything from 0/8 to 2/8 for me now, depending what the test is.

* = certainly would
              Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 17-08-2018, 09:29.

Comment

Ashley Roberts. Nope. "One of the other Pussycat Dolls" might be a more realistic summary. So 0/9 - 2/9.

Comment

10 and 11 are Kate Silverton and Seann Walsh. Nope. 0-2/11 for me now.

Comment

I realise I'm unusually ignorant of British popular culture, from pop to soaps/medical dramas to TV newsreaders and chat hosts etc, but I do get the feeling that, unless they're saving their biggest names till last, there's been a slight decline in average celeb profile this year. In previous years there have been not just 3 or 4 that I pretty much knew about, but at least one each year who, before their Strictly appearance, I could with absolute certainty have named from a mugshot if they'd come up say on that mugshot round on Pointless. For the last 4 years in reverse chronological order I could have named Richard Coles, Ed Balls, Jeremy Vine and Judy Murray.

Comment

12 and 13 Blue singer Lee Ryan and paratriathlete Lauren Steadman. Another two blanks for me, I'm afraid, although I admit I ought to have heard of LS.

Comment

14 Susannah Constantine, nope. 0-2/14

Edit: just looked her up and I see she's half of Trinny and Susannah, which I had vaguely heard of as a thing but no more.

Comment

Charles Venn. 0-2/15.

They haven't said he completes the list, so maybe there'll be 16 for the first time this year.

Edit: no, that's it now. So for the first time in at least 5 years, there's not a single contestant I could have identified from a mugshot. I do recall seeing odd bits of Stacey D's documentaries though and agree with dd below that she is very impressive.
                          Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 21-08-2018, 21:15.

Comment

Definitely need a diagram now

Comment

I don’t follow Strictly, but wow, Dr Ranj and Stacey Dooley, I don’t know who I’ve got the bigger crush on. Dr Ranj just seems a wonderful, knowlegable, down to earth guy who does life changing work with the most vulnerable people - a true real life hero, in other words, who is easy to watch too.

Stacey Dooley, meanwhile, has been places most of us can hardly even imagine, and like BBC3 colleague Reggie Yates, is a hundred times the journalist John Humphreys ever was.

Comment

Good first week of dances. Only Susannah Constantine who looks as if she'll struggle, though Katie Piper let her first night nerves get to her, hopefully just a one-off. Awesome what Lauren S. and her partner can do despite her having no forearm on one side, really inspiring (as is Katie P). Ashley R. and Faye T were joint top of the leader-board, which I reckon they'll need to keep up in order to stay in the contest, as I would imagine the public will be disinclined to vote for celebs with a lot of dance background.

Comment

Week 3 tonight was excellent. Loads of really fun to watch stuff. General standard remarkably high for so early in the competition.

Comment

Not as good this week.

Heidi Stephens of the Guardian/Observer is a cynic. Tonight's programme mentioned that Seann and Katya had had a lot of help from a choreographer this week. Heidi's take on that: a training room chaperone.

Comment

Bloody ridiculous from Shirley on Saturday only giving Faye and Giovanni an 8 for the jive (9, 9 and 10 from the other judges). It was easily a 9 or better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKaWHqqJ_6E
                                      Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 12-11-2018, 21:46.

Comment

Well the results are going on.

Once again, poor old Ashley Roberts is falling victim to a petty, vindictive, and unsurprisingly horrible British public.

I lost interest last year, but this has been the best Strictly in memory.

Faye Tozer is just brilliant.

But, I'll be honest, I fell in love with Stacey Dooley the moment I saw her.

Eat that, cynics.

Comment

The problem with Ashley, for me, is that she is a professional dancer. Where's the "journey" in watching her become a better professional dancer? Almost the same with Faye, whom I like a lot.

I like Stacey, too.

I don't watch the whole show, just zip through on catch-up, generally.

Comment

Yes the big thing that she's got dancing experience. But stuff she produces is amazing. And I bet she's never been near a Charlestown or a Vienise Waltz in her life.

Pesonally, I would marry Stacey tomorrow. And bring her breakfast in bed every morning for the rest of my life.

Comment

I was at a 'work in progress' comedy show this weekend in a small studio venue (an audience of around 100 or so) and Seann Walsh was the (entirely unannounced) opening act. It's fair to say that life post-Strictly has been pretty shit for Seann, and if the Sun's offices were to burn down in suspicious circumstances any time soon, I'd have him right near the top of my list of suspects.

He's trying to write a new stand-up show around his experience but it was a bit uncomfortable at times (no doubt heightened by the intimate venue - I have work colleagues who have made less eye contact with me than he did). My wife, who was of the opinion beforehand that he was a cheating arsehole and therefore got what he deserved, came round totally and immediately booked us tickets to his live show proper.

Comment

Working...
                                              X