(British) Women in Sport quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(British) Women in Sport quiz

A quick quiz for no particular reason, apart from possibly that we don't talk about Women's sport enough on here (anyone thinking 'hey!' to that might want to do a count on the proportion of posts about each gender...)

Some questions are easy, some hopefully a bit harder. All are easy to look up, if you feel the need to cheat. It is very British-centric, so apologies to our American, Irish and other posters on that (I'll be stunned if any of you get the Squash one!). If someone wants to come up with a more international version, then be my guest.

I will post up the answers this evening, if there are any still to be identified.

Questions

1. Which British golfer has the most Women’s major championships to her name?
    Laura Davies (4 titles, US Open in ’87, US PGA in ’94 & ’96 and du Maurier Classic in ‘96) – multipleman78, tee rex

2. Only one athlete has ever won two Olympic gold medals at Skeleton Bobsleigh. Who is she?
    Lizzie Yarnold (’14 and ’18) – multipleman78, ursus arctos

3. 6 of the 18 members of Ireland’s silver medal winning team in the recent Hockey World Cup were Ulsterwomen. But which of them captained the side?
    Katie Mullan

4. When Heather Watson won the 2012 Japan Open she became the first British Tennis player to win a WTA Tour level event in over 20 years. Who was her predecessor?
    Sara Gomer (she won the 1988 Northern California Open) – Seven Saxon Kings

5. Where is double Olympic Taekwondo champion Jade Jones’ home town?
    Flint – multipleman78

6. Which cyclist won four medals at the 2013 Track World Championship, the best haul by a Briton (male or female) at any one World Championships?
    Becky James (gold in Sprint and Keirin, bronze in 500m TT and Team Sprint) – ursus arctos

7. Short-track speedskater Elise Christie was the overall World Champion in 2017. In which two specific distances did she also take gold?
    1000m and 1500m – ursus arctos

8. Who scored the last-second gold medal winning goal for England in the 2018 Commonwealth Games Netball competition?
    Helen Housby

9. Adam Peaty is closing on Mark Foster to become the most successful British swimmer of all time as measured by medal count (Peaty has 33 so far at Olympic, World, European and Commonwealth level to Foster’s 51). But who, with 17 such medals to her name, 7 of them gold, is the most decorated female?
    Rebecca Adlington. She may have won more if she hadn’t retired at 23! – tee rex plus a bit of hedge

10. The Mundalito acted as an unofficial Women’s Football World Cup prior to FIFA getting their arses in gear in 1991. Which Scot captained and scored for champions Italy in the Final of the 1984 edition of the competition?
    Rose Reilly. Reilly was playing for Italy as she and two others had been banned for life by the SFA for protesting that the coach of the Scottish Women’s team was an amateur.

11. Tanni Grey-Thompson won 16 Paralympic medals, 11 of them gold, over distances ranging from 100 to 800m. But how many times did she win the London Marathon?
    6 (1992, ’94, ’96, ’98, 2001, ’02)

12. Britain won a silver medal in the Olympic Badminton Mixed Doubles in 2004. Who was the female half of this partnership?
    Gail Emms – Etienne

13. Nicola Adams fights at which weight?
    Flyweight (51kg) - Various Artist

14. Who was the first Woman to be named one of Wisden’s Cricketers of the Year?
    Claire Taylor (2009) – ursus arctos

15. Who was the skip of the 2002 Olympic Curling gold medal winning British team?
    Rhona Martin – multipleman78, Seven Saxon Kings

16. Which Englishwoman was the tournament’s top scorer at the 2014 Women’s Rugby World Cup?
    Emily Scarratt (70 points)

17. Who became the first Welsh player, male or female, to win the British National Squash title earlier this year?
    Tesni Evans

18. Triathlete Chrissie Wellington was undefeated in her career over the Ironman distance, winning all 13 races she started. How many times was she the Ironman World Champion?
    4 (2007-'09 and '11)

19. Who became the first British Olympic medalist in any skiing discipline when she won silver in the 2018 Slopestyle competition?
    Izzy Atkin – multipleman78

20. The London Olympic Games of 2012 opened on 27th July, with the gold medal events commencing on the following day. Britain would eventually finish third in the medal table with 29 golds, but it took until August 1sts (day 5) for the first to arrive. It came in Rowing, but who started the gold rush?
    Helen Glover and Heather Stanning (Coxless Pair) – multipleman78
    Last edited by Janik; 13-08-2018, 20:47.

Originally posted by Janik View Post
    A quick quiz for no particular reason, apart from possibly that we don't talk about Women's sport enough on here (anyone thinking 'hey!' to that might want to do a count on the proportion of posts about each gender...)

Some questions are easy, some hopefully a bit harder. All are easy to look up, if you feel the need to cheat. It is very British-centric, so apologies to our American, Irish and other posters on that (I'll be stunned if any of you get the Squash one!). If someone wants to come up with a more international version, then be my guest.

I will post up the answers this evening, if there are any still to be identified.

Questions

1. Which British golfer has the most Women’s major championships to her name? LAURA DAVIES
    2. Only one athlete has ever won two Olympic gold medals at Skeleton Bobsleigh. Who is she? LIZZY YARNOLD
    3. 6 of the 18 members of Ireland’s silver medal winning team in the recent Hockey World Cup were Ulsterwomen. But which of them captained the side? NOT A SCOOBY
    4. When Heather Watson won the 2012 Japan Open she became the first British Tennis player to win a WTA Tour level event in over 20 years. Who was her predecessor? I seem to remember this being discussed on tennis thread at the time but i can't remember now. A lady not that famous i think. My guess will be Sam Smith.
    5. Where is double Olympic Taekwondo champion Jade Jones’ home town? FLINT
    6. Which cyclist won four medals at the 2013 Track World Championship, the best haul by a Briton (male or female) at any one World Championships? TROTT or ARCHIBALD. Go with LAURA TROTT.
    7. Short-track speedskater Elise Christie was the overall World Champion in 2017. In which two specific distances did she also take gold? 500 AND 1000 metres.
    8. Who scored the last-second gold medal winning goal for England in the 2018 Commonwealth Games Netball competition? NO IDEA
    9. Adam Peaty is closing on Mark Foster to become the most successful British swimmer of all time as measured by medal count (Peaty has 33 so far at Olympic, World, European and Commonwealth level to Foster’s 51). But who, with 17 such medals to her name, 7 of them gold, is the most decorated female? SHARON DAVIES
    10. The Mundalito acted as an unofficial Women’s Football World Cup prior to FIFA getting their arses in gear in 1991. Which Scot captained and scored for champions Italy in the Final of the 1984 edition of the competition? NARDINI
    11. Tanni Grey-Thompson won 16 Paralympic medals, 11 of them gold, over distances ranging from 100 to 800m. But how many times did she win the London Marathon? 3
    12. Britain won a silver medal in the Olympic Badminton Mixed Doubles in 2004. Who was the female half of this partnership? Was the guy called Robertson and had long hair? His partner was a blonde i think. Is COOK her surname?
    13. Nicola Adams fights at which weight? BANTAMWEIGHT
    14. Who was the first Woman to be named one of Wisden’s Cricketers of the Year? SARAH TAYLOR
    15. Who was the skip of the 2002 Olympic Curling gold medal winning British team? RHONA MARTIN. Being Scottish, that was a bit easier for me.
    16. Which Englishwoman was the tournament’s top scorer at the 2014 Women’s Rugby World Cup? NO IDEA
    17. Who became the first Welsh player, male or female, to win the British National Squash title earlier this year? COOKE
    18. Triathlete Chrissie Wellington was undefeated in her career over the Ironman distance, winning all 13 races she started. How many times was she the Ironman World Champion? 13
    19. Who became the first British Olympic medallist in any skiing discipline when she won silver in the 2018 Slopestyle competition? Was it IZZY something?
    20. The London Olympic Games of 2018 opened on 27th July, with the gold medal events commencing on the following day. Britain would eventually finish third in the medal table with 29 golds, but it took until Day 5 for the first to arrive. It came in Rowing, but who started the gold rush? HEATHER STANNNG AND HELEN GLOVER
    You have put 2018 for the London Olympics.

Comment

Thanks. Corrected. Anyone got any answers, or are you all waiting for me to post the lot so you can figure how many you've got right?

Comment

I think i know who the badminton player is but i won't say anything as that would look like i checked out the net to find it.

Comment

1. Laura Davies.
          9. Rebecca Adlington? Sharron Davies?

Obviously I know most of the others too, can remember them happening. Only the names are buried, which kind of proves Janik's point.

Comment

2 is Lizzie Yarnold
            6 is Becky James
            14 is Claire Taylor

I will guess 1000m and 1500m for 7

Comment

My answers were in my first reply within the quote from your original post.

Comment

The answer to 4 (and all British female tennis questions) is Jo Durie.
                5 I think Jade Jones is from Cardiff, she's definitely Welsh.
                12 is Gail Emms

Comment

4 was Sara Gomer and 15 Rhona Martin
                  Last edited by Seven Saxon Kings; 12-08-2018, 21:41.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                    My answers were in my first reply within the quote from your original post.
                    Ah, right. Found them. That the quote boxes only show the first few lines is unhelpful, isn't it?

Answers added in the first post to those correctly identified.

And yes, Gail Emms partner in the 2002 Mixed Doubles badminton had long black hair and was called Robertson. Nathan Robertson to be precise. From memory, that was a team with a definite chief/indian split, with Emms clearly the chief. Some drafts of the question had his name in it, but in then end I excluded it to make it harder.

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                    1. Laura Davies.
                    9. Rebecca Adlington? Sharron Davies?

Obviously I know most of the others too, can remember them happening. Only the names are buried, which kind of proves Janik's point.
                    Davies won 9 medals. Adlington's haul is impressive, considering she is mostly known for just a few particular days in 2008. Its not unreasonable that those days stand out as they are still a high water mark for British Swimming - Beijing is the only time since WW1 that Britain has won more than one gold medal in the pool in any Olympics, and both victories came from the same Woman. However it's unfair on Adlington to see her solely as that, or think Beijing came out-of-the-blue; over her career she was an Olympic, Commonwealth, World (Long and Short Course) and European (Long Course) champion, all in either 400 or 800m freestyle.

As for proving my point, I sort of guess it does. We somehow don't talk about Women's sport as much and therefore major events don't lodge in memories, even if it is there to follow. To be fair, whilst I knew of all the events I ask about, I definitely had to fact check many of them for dates, numbers and in some cases to confirm I had names correct. i.e. I used the cheat that I'm denying to respondents!
                    I once read somewhere, but can't dig it out again right now, a breakdown of coverage that reported Women's sport makes up 10% of all TV coverage, 5% of all newspaper coverage and 2% of website/social media coverage. Or something like that. That was definitely the order anyhow. I'm not convinced that we on here are much higher than the paltry general discussion figure, despite where OTFs political compass points.

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                    The answer to 4 (and all British female tennis questions) is Jo Durie.
                    For once, not! It only seems to be Jo Konta who does things for the first time since Jo Durie. Must be a connection through christian name...
                    Last edited by Janik; 12-08-2018, 22:37.

Comment

Some clues and half-right answers.

[spoiler]
                      11. Tanni Grey-Thompson won 16 Paralympic medals, 11 of them gold, over distances ranging from 100 to 800m. But how many times did she win the London Marathon? 3
                      Higher! Higher!

18. Triathlete Chrissie Wellington was undefeated in her career over the Ironman distance, winning all 13 races she started. How many times was she the Ironman World Champion? 13
                      Lower! Lower!
                      There is an entire Ironman series that you need to compete in to gain points to qualify for the biggie in Hawaii.

19. Who became the first British Olympic medallist in any skiing discipline when she won silver in the 2018 Slopestyle competition? Was it IZZY something?
                      Indeed it was Izzy something.
                      [/spoiler]

I'm going to leave the rest of the questions up without answers for a day to try and catch the Monday work crowd. There are a few that are tailored towards specific posters that haven't replied yet...
                      Last edited by Janik; 12-08-2018, 22:40.

Comment

Tanni-8
                        Wellington-5
                        Izzy Adkins

Comment

Now you are just guessing. And (0/3) doing so badly. ;-)

Comment

Most of my answers were guesses.

Comment

Although i did remember Gail Emms after i posted my original answers.

Comment

Most of my answers were guesses.
                                If that is the case, then the Heather Stanning and Helen Glover one was inspired. That looks suspiciously like knowledge to me.

Comment

I did say most of my answers were guesses. I am quite good with 2012 questions. I also got Flint for Jade Jones.

Comment

13 – Nicola Adams must be a flyweight if she's not a bantamweight as suggested by multipleman.

Comment

That was the answer on my sheet, as 51kg was the division she won her Olympic gold medals in. This year she has been more Super-Fly, though (as if she wasn't that 100% of the time already!) - it will be at that weight that she gets her first shot at a professional world title later this year. And her last bout was actually at Featherweight, but lack of suitable opponents in one's own Division does often result in such catchweight contests for Women fighters. Adams still won that by TKO inside a round, despite giving a few kilos to her opponent.

Comment

Well, there appears no more momentum to this, so I'll post the answers for questions no-one has got. And I'll credit multipleman with Izzy Atkin, as that is essentially the same surname as Adkins just with a variant spelling.

Comment

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                          X