No announcement yet.

Resurrecting Dead Horses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being "knowingly whimsical", I think, is the equivalent of eyelash-fluttering, i.e. not sexy.

Comment

Walk Of Life is exceptionally unsexy, tipping its hat to jauntily mojo sapping Cajun classics such as My Toot Toot, with a loin numbing ingredient X all of its own.

Chronologically impossible, I know, but a cover version of Walk Of Life by The Jam would have been unbeatably unsexy.

Comment

The dance to it is unsexy.

Comment

The Safety Dance isn’t sexy.

Comment

But is it less sexy than Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder?

There may well have been two entirely separate years going by the name '1983', one sexy, the other not.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
              Being "knowingly whimsical", I think, is the equivalent of eyelash-fluttering, i.e. not sexy.
              Yes, but if you're not trying to be, then it seems a bit of a moot point. I mean, you wouldn't criticise a pheasant for not being a Bengal tiger.

As for eyelash-fluttering, it all rather depends who's doing it. I mean, I'd look a complete dick.

Comment

As for 'least sexy' - probably anything by ELO. They may have been many things to many people, but - nope - never that.

Comment

Surely "When you're in love with ..." by Dr Hook. Certainly the video.

Comment

The Crowd — Roy Orbison. Least sexy song by the least sexy performer ever. Absolutely brilliant though. Don't know but I'm guessing it was written for his much lamented wife Claudette, like several others.
                    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 25-08-2018, 19:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      Yes, but if you're not trying to be, then it seems a bit of a moot point. I mean, you wouldn't criticise a pheasant for not being a Bengal tiger.

As for eyelash-fluttering, it all rather depends who's doing it. I mean, I'd look a complete dick.
                      I don't understand why David Bowie made "The Laughing Gnome". Maybe because he wanted to be knowingly whimsical or maybe because, for the minutes/hours/days he took to make it, he'd just fucking lost it.

"Yellow Submarine" is slightly different. I would say "The Beatles were *always* whimsical". But if I say that, then you'll come out with that line about "if you don't like The Beatles, you may as well say you don't like air/food/water", so I won't say it.
                      Last edited by treibeis; 25-08-2018, 20:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                        But is it less sexy than Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder?
                        Woah no.

Comment

I don't understand why David Bowie made "The Laughing Gnome". Maybe because he wanted to be knowingly whimsical or maybe because, for the minutes/hours/days he took to make it, he'd just fucking lost it.

"Yellow Submarine" is slightly different. I would say "The Beatles were *always* whimsical". But if I say that, then you'll come out with that line about "if you don't like The Beatles, you may as well say you don't like air/food/water", so I won't say it.
                          You really do stash these lines away like nuts for the winter, eh? The Beatles clearly weren't 'always whimsical', they just mastered (and vanguarded) a number of different styles. And of course, when they were doing psychedelia - ie, at the front end - it often tended toward the whimsical (see also: early Pink Floyd, Traffic, etc).

As for Bowie, he made a number of recordings not dissimilar to The Laughing Gnome at the time: he seemed to be channelling Anthony Newley for a while. It wasn't so much that he'd 'lost it', so much as he'd not 'found' himself by then.

Comment

Good grief, I had forgotten about the horror that was the Money For Nothing picture disc.

Ignore my conciliatory remarks about Mark Knopfler upthread; history will not absolve him.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                              Roy Orbison.....least sexy performer ever.
                              Hmm, I'm not so sure. I think he had a certain rapport with the middle-age mums / youngish grans market. A bit like Jim Reeves or the Everlys.

Comment

Fucking hell, Benjm, how can any of us unsee that?

Comment

Apologies - I should have thrown myself onto that jpeg as if it was a grenade.

"Purveyors of fine hot riffs"

Comment

Sacrificing yourself for the rest of the board was the least, the very least, you could have done.

Comment

You'd be fucked trying to play that on a Sony Flamingo.

Comment

You could do some amusing shadow puppetry with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge Gainsbourg View Post
                                          Hmm, I'm not so sure. I think he had a certain rapport with the middle-age mums / youngish grans market. A bit like Jim Reeves or the Everlys.
                                          Whoa! In their heyday the Everlys were as hot as all get out (just ask my wife!) The Big O never was, he just looked a bit strange, weird even. Magic voice though.

Comment

Tbh, I was just basing that on the fact that my mum and nan were huge fans of Roy.
                                            Last edited by Beatle Simon; 26-08-2018, 17:07. Reason: Grammatical

Comment

That picture disc is disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                You really do stash these lines away like nuts for the winter, eh?
                                                If a man had to live on nuts like that in hard times ("Nigel! I thought we'd agreed that what you read in the potting shed stays in the potting shed!"), then he'd starve to death before the first door on the advent calendar were opened.

There aren't enough, for a start. There's the one about The Beatles, there's the one about Andy Stewart (or whoever it was) making Scrumpy 'n' Western records and there's the one about Dele Alli not being quite as much of a rotter as several people on the Football forum believe him to be. And that's about it.

(I'm joking, by the way.)
                                                Last edited by treibeis; 27-08-2018, 15:59.

Comment

The one about The Beatles isn't mine, though - it's a well-worn line filed away for use at such times. And Dele might act the dick on occasion, but there are far worse villains out there on Football Island. (OTF does like to get carried away, as we know.)

However, you can gladly have my head on a stick for Scrumpy 'n' Westerngate - I'm happy to remain within the bliss of ignorance.

But - Andy Stewart? The 'Donald Where's Yer Troosers?'-bloke? Have a word.

(So am I.)

Comment

If a man had to live on nuts like that in hard times, then he'd starve to death before the first door on the advent calendar were opened.
                                                    A sentiment very similar to that voiced by Martin Lee when he locked Gene Pitney in a basement storage room at Batley Variety Club following a billing dispute in November 1976. The Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart hitmaker had fully revealed two Big D bikini girls and been driven to the limits of sanity by drinking the vinegar from pickled egg jars before he was eventually found.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X