Upgrade to vBulletin 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to vBulletin 5

Since the move from Kunena last year, we have been running a very old version of vBulletin - v4. I am currently in the very early stages of the upgrade to v5. There will be some significant changes under the hood, but the more visible changes should include a better experience on all browsers, including mobile and tablet.

The plan is for v5 to be fairly out of the box to begin with. This means the OTF logos, the new appearance (I hope to have several skins available from day 1) and so on. Once we have moved over, then I can start adding functionality as requested. We shouldn't lose any functionality on the way at least, but there are several things I would like to add.

There is no timeline for when exactly we will be shifting over to vBulletin 5 but the idea is that we have a few hours downtime while the work is done. There should be no need for re-registration or password changes.

I will be looking for beta testers at some point and will post in this thread and via an announcement when needed.

Any questions, please use this thread.

All hail King Snake!

Comment

Thanks for the update and all your hard work on this Snake, it's much appreciated.

Comment

Good work, Snake

Comment

Marvellous news Snake, we've been intrigued by this prospect for ages now so it's great to hear it's in the works. Well done as always for all your efforts here.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
            All hail King Snake!
            We must all cover one eye!

Comment

It has to be asked, or the gods will punish us: Will there be an Ignore Poster function this time around?

Comment

Just wanted to check, will there be an ignore poster function?

Comment

Just in case anyone is wondering, there will be an Ignore Poster function.

Comment

This is odd. I saw a link to a thread which pointed here, but I can't see any posts.

Comment

This is odd, I saw a link to this forum but I can see no posts.

Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                        We must all cover one eye!
                        I'm glad there's an Ignore Poster function now, if this thread is full of people showing their One-Eyed Snakes in response to Sits' imperative there.

Comment

I might even finally visit the Donations page.

Comment

VA: I shouldn't laugh at that, but I did.

Comment

I don’t understand any of the technical stuff but thanks, Snake

Comment

Thanks Snake. Just so you know, on my Android tablet when I click on 'What's New' on the grid menu, it takes me to 'Search' instead, it's been happening for the last couple of days. It's not a problem for me, but just in case it's a bigger problem...

Comment

Hello - I don't know what stage the migration is on, but I was wondering if I could ask if there's a couple of features available and what people thought of them?

1) On another board I visit, it holds the unread posts against your login. So if you've not read half the posts from a thread posted two weeks ago and it gets bumped to the top of the forum, you can click a "new" button next to the thread title and you'll be taken to the first of the new posts. Here it only seems to take you to the first new post since your last visit to the forum.
                                  2) This board also has a collated unread threads section, so you don't have to visit each individual forum to see what's new.
                                  3) When looking at your posts (or another user's) you can click on it and be taken directly to the post in question. At present on here you can only see a snapshot of the top of the post, and if you click to go through to it you just go to the first post in the thread.

I've just had a dig around and the other board seems to be using Simple Machines, I'm not sure if any of these features are available on vBulletin. And apologies if any of these features exist and I've somehow managed to miss them. And thanks once again for all the work you do, Snake.

Comment

Yes, Show Unread Posts is a pet thing of mine and is really important. The current "Jump to latest" is a bit of a hack - it isn't kept cross-device, nor is it kept for longer than 48 hours. I'm making sure the upgrade does both.

2. I think "What's New" at the to already does this, but subject to the similar "Jump to latest" problems.

3. Agreed. If I can, I will. I suspect it won't show the whole post, but I will increase the amount it does show if I can.

Comment

OK... this is finally happening. And it is looking like the week commencing 7th January 2019.

Comment

Good on you Snake and the posse.

Comment

Not sure what this means but it sounds like good news. Guzman to you sir.

Comment

Working...
                                          X