Dislikes the Sea, but Will Venture Upon It If Necessary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dislikes the Sea, but Will Venture Upon It If Necessary

This is a fascinating article by comic writer and film-maker Greg Pak about the detailed Dungeons & Dragons worlds he made as a teenager and refinding them as an adult.

It says a lot about the game that it inspired such creativity in so many people, however embarrassing it may seem now. I was right into D&D in the early days*, but my equivalent to this would be mini sci-fi comic books I produced in the late 70s, as did my friends. I only lost these in our last house move, but until then would look through nostalgically once in a while.

This quote from your linked article sums up the experience really well:

...the deeper I dig into these notebooks, the more stressed I get, a heady mix of embarrassment and protectiveness for the boy I was and the adult I’ve become.

*in fact my late brother - our Dungein Master - used to sell his painted figures to the original D&D themed Games Workshop in London.

Comment

Those sci-fi comic books sound fantastic Sits, there's no way I'd have ever got rid of something like that had I created it. Were they lost or 'lost' in your last move?

Fantastic article, thanks for sharing it DM.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
        Those sci-fi comic books sound fantastic Sits, there's no way I'd have ever got rid of something like that had I created it. Were they lost or 'lost' in your last move?
        They really do appear to have been lost, and not 'lost'; Mrs. S wouldn't do that to me. The box also contained my 1981, 82 and 83 diaries which, read now would elicit a similar reaction to that quote from the article.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
          Those sci-fi comic books sound fantastic Sits
          They weren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
            They really do appear to have been lost, and not 'lost'; Mrs. S wouldn't do that to me. The box also contained my 1981, 82 and 83 diaries which, read now would elicit a similar reaction to that quote from the article.
            Hah, indeed. I kept a diary in 1993, '96 and (just to keep the pattern up) '99, starting when I was 13. I almost literally squirm at the thought of publicising or even rereading their contents.

They have been locked in a briefcase for almost all of the time since, one that I know for a fact I've only opened once since (at the latest) early 2001.

Comment

Working...
            X