No announcement yet.

Starting as they meant to go on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just duckducked my arse off, thinking I was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew7610 View Post
      Duran Duran's eponymous debut opens with Girls on Film
      Sorry... about this one, obvs.

The BEST support act were that bunch of ... yeah, them. Anything more than knowing two songs of theirs, is fandom.

I saw the Killers as support to The Strokes.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
        One sub-sub example of never bettering your debut single is REM, whose debut EP Chronic Town is the just about the best thing they ever did. Although, Automatic For The People was an incredible late period album.
        Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
        Mid-period, surely?
        Early-mid, ultimately, I'd say surely? Their debut single was Radio Free Europe in 1981 and they split in 2011, and Automatic was 1992.

Comment

Everything REM did after 1993 was rubbish. They have been dead for me for decades. It’s really rare to do anything that’s arguably your best work 15 years into your existence. So that’s late period.
          Last edited by diggedy derek; 24-08-2018, 22:40.

Comment

Probably doesn't really need stating, but whatever the quality of an artist's work, it's still a part of the creative life. Being 'dead' to an individual doesn't somehow negate that. (Besides, I quite enjoyed Up, which came out in 1998.)

(VA calls it right, however.)

Comment

Yeah, it's not really a big deal, but REM are one where their various periods are more clearly delineated than almost any other band.
              Their indie period - up to Document
              Their global megastar period - up to Monster
              Their withdrawal from that - eveything after Monster.

I agree that they haven't done much since Automatic, but there are some nice songs on Reveal - All the way to Reno, Summer Turns To High, I'll Take The Rain

Comment

Yes, that's true with REM, and those transitions could be quite jarring at times (Green is an unlovable album I think).

But a creative life is a funny thing –*I would have thought anything after around 1981 would have been deemed late period Rolling Stones, no? Even though, by the standards of just simple chronology, that's much closer to the start of the band's existence than the end.

Comment

Or 'Blood on the Tracks' and 'Desire' would be - and often are - called mid-period Bob Dylan, even though they are around a quarter of the way into his career. Chronologically his middle period isOh Mercy (1989), but that doesn't feel right.

I was going to disagree about Green being unlovable, but on reflection I can't. It's just that it has 'You Are the Everything', which is a beautiful song.

Comment

'You are the Everything' is a masterpiece, as is most of the album (apart from Orange Crush). The last track is heartbreaking.

Practically everything else they did is boring, to me.

I have a soft spot for them as 'nice guys' though, my now-dead best mate toured with them and they were lovely to him. Got him up on stage in Melbourne to sing him Happy Birthday.

Comment

Yeah, that is a wonderful song.

Comment

What, Happy Birthday?

Comment

It's a classic, you can't deny it.

But a creative life is a funny thing –*I would have thought anything after around 1981 would have been deemed late period Rolling Stones, no? Even though, by the standards of just simple chronology, that's much closer to the start of the band's existence than the end.
                          Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                          Or 'Blood on the Tracks' and 'Desire' would be - and often are - called mid-period Bob Dylan, even though they are around a quarter of the way into his career. Chronologically his middle period isOh Mercy (1989), but that doesn't feel right.
                          Yeah, you're both quite right, of course, from an 'artistic' rather than 'purely chronological' way of looking at things. I should stress that I was just being pedantic before, regarding REM's timeline – though I'd agree with Jah and Etienne that there's lovely stuff on Up and Reveal.

Comment

Up & Down - Vengaboys "Party Album"

I can hardly think of a band that has done the same song for every track on an album.

Comment

R.E.M. should probably have called it a day when Bill Berry left. I think Up is a good album but everything after that is rather forgettable (apart from 'Leaving New York').

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                I can hardly think of a band that has done the same song for every track on an album.
                                Pendulum's first album starts with "Slam", a track which they then repeated for three albums...

Comment

I was going to nominate Sexy Boy by Air but that's actually the second track. As I always skip the first track when I stick the CD on in the car, I can see where my confusion came from.

An Honest Mistake by The Bravery was the first track on their first album and the only track of theirs I have ever heard. Despite really liking the song, I haven't listened to any of their other stuff.

Comment

It’s really rare to do anything that’s arguably your best work 15 years into your existence.
                                    Green Day being the exception that proves this rule.

Comment

Except that Green Day's best stuff was around the time of Dookie, IMO.

One might argue Pulp as a possible shout for that honour. Not that anybody was especially aware of them until 1993.

Comment

Really? I'd say American Idiot is their seminal work.

Comment

And many would agree. I just thought that they were much better when doing more out-and-out slacker punk.

Comment

Dookie is a 30 minute statement of intent. There's not a wasted note in it.

Comment

This doesn't quite belong in this thread, but since it's topical, "Keep Yourself Alive" by Queen is a thrilling (though not quite representative) way to to start a career.

Comment

Working...
                                              X