Women's Cricket Super League 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women's Cricket Super League 2018

Taylor with an unbeaten 50 today to see Surrey past Western. Anyone caught any of it this year so far?

Taylor out for four today but Sciver came to the fore with a 95 for Surrey. They made 148, with Lancashire batting next.

Some key moments, and live commentary, on the BBC page here:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/44764581

Comment

Elsewhere, Southern were 91 all out against Western, so that should be a formality.
      Loughborough v Yorkshire starts in 15 minutes.

Comment

Table ahead of today's matches:

1 Western Storm 3 2 0 1 10
        2 Loughborough Lightning 3 2 0 1 9
        3 Lancashire Thunder 3 2 0 1 9
        4 Surrey Stars 3 1 0 1 7
        5 Southern Vipers 3 1 0 2 4
        6 Yorkshire Diamonds 3 0 0 2 2
        (Surrey Stars v Yorkshire Diamonds - Match abandoned without a ball bowled)
        Last edited by Kevin S; 31-07-2018, 14:56.

Comment

Lancs' chase is also live on Sky.

Comment

Smriti Mandhana scores an 18-ball 50 as Western win again. And Harmanpreet Kaur, on debut for Lancs, sees them over the line as the match at Surrey was decided on the 119th ball. Like this:
            https://twitter.com/ECB_cricket/stat...630206464?s=19
            https://twitter.com/ECB_cricket/status/1024329128630206464?s=19

Comment

It's odd how so many of these games are during the day mid week.

Comment

I want to be interested and tried to get my wife to go to watch Lancashire thunder on Sunday when we were nearby but it's the fundamental issue with these leagues - in the absence of a local team I don't care who wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                  It's odd how so many of these games are during the day mid week.
                  The one at The Oval today was a double-header with the men’s T20 between Surrey v Glamorgan that I took my son too. We’d hoped to see a bit of it live but the timing didn’t work out, though we ducked in to The Beehive and saw the climactic two overs which was alll very exciting.

Glamorgan continuing their 100% record in T20 cricket with an excellent run chase was even better, mind. Especially as my son was supporting Surrey.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-08-2018, 02:11.

Comment

Double header at Edgbaston today, too. Loughborough about to start batting against Western in the T20 WSL, then there's a men's T20 Blast match afterwards as Birmingham face Lancashire.

Doubly-confusing with all the changes to county/place names with random nicknames because the home team for the women are called Lightning, which is the same as the visiting men's team today.
                    Last edited by Kevin S; 15-08-2018, 13:47.

Comment

These two teams seem fairly likely to meet again in the Final by the way. Today's match is key to avoiding having to beat Surrey or Lancashire in the semi final before the final on the same day.

1 Western Storm 8 6 1 0 30
                      2 Loughborough Lightning 8 6 2 0 28
                      3 Surrey Stars 9 4 4 0 20
                      4 Lancashire Thunder 9 4 5 0 17
                      5 Yorkshire Diamonds 9 2 6 0 11
                      6 Southern Vipers 9 2 6 0 10
                      Last edited by Kevin S; 15-08-2018, 14:17.

Comment

Live commentary on TMS now.

Comment

Oh no, both of the commentators have got a fit of giggles...

Comment

Did one of the batters fail to get her leg over?

Comment

No, Jenny Gunn was 'able to reach out and grab balls you don't expect her to'.

Comment

Kirstie Gordon takes Mandhana and Knight in consecutive deliveries... Fran Wilson to face the hat-trick ball...

Comment

Very high toss, but Wilson gets the single, so no hat-trick.

Comment

Gordon takes Taylor too.

I've just been having a look at some scorecards because I was wondering at what point of an innings does a team usually reach half of its final total. There's a rule of thumb in ODIs that you score half of your runs in the first 30 innings and half in the last 20, i.e. what you have after 30 innings you are likely to approximately double.

What's weird was that looking at the WSL scorecards, teams are generally getting half of their runs in the first 8 or 9 overs - i.e. they are more productive at the start of an innings than at the end. Presumably that's because the quality of the batters declines more sharply through a WSL team from 1 to 11, whereas a men's ODI team is packed with batters all the way down?
                                    Last edited by Kevin S; 15-08-2018, 15:04.

Comment

And applying that formula would put Western on around 130 today, though they've seemingly dropped off more sharply than that and it looks more 120ish at the moment.

Edit - my error, it would be 120-126, which actually seems quite likely at the moment.
                                      Last edited by Kevin S; 15-08-2018, 15:13.

Comment

Western finish on 124/6. Good bowling and fielding from Loughborough has given them a decent chance of leading the table tonight.

Comment

What's weird was that looking at the WSL scorecards, teams are generally getting half of their runs in the first 8 or 9 overs - i.e. they are more productive at the start of an innings than at the end. Presumably that's because the quality of the batters declines more sharply through a WSL team from 1 to 11, whereas a men's ODI team is packed with batters all the way down?
                                          Could also be the ball getting softer. Are the fielding powerplays in the opening overs too?

Comment

Ah, hadn't thought about the powerplay. Yes, for T20 it's the first six innings only, so I suppose teams must take advantage of that.

Loughborough are looking good to make this.

Comment

Working...
                                            X