Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Athletics/Cycling/Rowing/Aquatics/Gymnastics/Golf/Triathlon Euro Championships 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Athletics/Cycling/Rowing/Aquatics/Gymnastics/Golf/Triathlon Euro Championships 2018

A bit of an oddity this, an attempt to combine the European Championships for some (mostly) Olympic sports next month. The majority of them are in Glasgow/Scotland but the Athletics is in Berlin (scheduled before the idea came together I think) though in future years, if they happen, they will look to stage everything in one city.

I'm not sure the world needs another multi-sports event (especially with the European Games that started in Azerbaijan a few years ago being underwhelming, even though they're apparently trying them again in Minsk in 2019) although many of the individual championships have long histories.

I'm up in Glasgow the first weekend of August on a trip to see some of the Cycling along with some football & speedway. I was hoping to see some rowing but as it's 25 miles out of town I'm not quite sure I'm going to fit it in.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-07-2018, 15:05.

Thanks for starting this off, Ray. One benefit of the combined games in Glasgow is that GB have actually entered some road cyclists this year. That seems to have been beyond them in recent Road Euros.

Comment

Comment

So this kicks off today, though things only really get going tomorrow.

Comment

It's only on reading this thread that I've realised this isn't the European Games thing that they held in Azerbaijan. If I'd realised, I might have made an effort to get tickets and time off sorted for the cycling. Ballsacks.

Comment

That was an absolutely belting ride from Ethan Hayter to win the omnium. It's also nice of the BBC to devote Saturday night prime time on their main channel to show a points race to the general public.

Comment

Wasn’t he magnificent? I was there tonight and thought he’d blown it after the Elimination Race even though he made a decent showing in that. His performance in the Points Race was just tactically perfect and executed with a huge amount of heart, to outfox a rider like Viviani is quite something.

Hayter’s win more than made up for Katie Archibald’s Silver losing the Individual Pursuit final where she was clearly drained, partly from how much effort she had put in to the Team Pursuit Gold the night before which was another excellent session of cycling.
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-08-2018, 09:12.

Comment

Women's Road Race now on Eurosport 1, with about 100 km to go. Strong crowds along the anything but flat route.

Comment

Watching it on the iPad now, BBC appear to giving it proper coverage too. Just left the Velodrome after seeing Laura Kenny (née Trott) win Gold in the Elimination Race which, as Chris Hoy has just said, she rides better than anyone else in the world - male or female.

Seen three GB Golds in my three track cycling sessions, as much by luck as by my judgement.

Comment

Fantastic row between the German & GB riders in the leading five and the Italian & Dutch ones as the latter pair are coasting and refusing to take a stint at the front due to team orders.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-08-2018, 12:45.

Comment

As Brian Smith noted, everyone in the break except Brand (the Dutch woman) is very young (under 21), and they won't have ridden together much, if at all, before.

Comment

I see the coverage has that perennial problem of multi-sport events in that they don't put a time gap on screen.

See Lisa Brennauer is riding. She beat Archibald in the individual pursuit last night. Trooper.

Comment

Sophie Wright has had enough and gone off alone at the front

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                            I see the coverage has that perennial problem of multi-sport events in that they don't put a time gap on screen.

See Lisa Brennauer is riding. She beat Archibald in the individual pursuit last night. Trooper.
                            Watching the final last night we were wondering if Brennauer had taken part in the Team Pursuit as Archibald had done because she seemed so much fresher.

Edit : ah, it seems she was! Nails.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-08-2018, 13:02.

Comment

The Dutch team made a right proper fuck up of that.

Comment

Amazing example of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

Brennauer ended up with the bronze, which is pretty damn impressive.
                                Last edited by ursus arctos; 05-08-2018, 15:59.

Comment

I managed to miss the news about Kristina Vogel’s serious spinal injuries suffered in a training crash a few weeks ago until it was discussed just now on the BBC coverage. I thought she must have chosen to miss this championships.

Awful news, one of the most dominant riders in any discipline of the last half a dozen years.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-08-2018, 18:54.

Comment

She and her family have been very strict about keeping control of any information, but at least she's been out of intensive care for about two weeks now.

It's clearly had an impact on the whole women's team.

Comment

The men’s too, it was Domenic Weinstein dedicating his Individual Pursuit win to Vogel that made me aware of her situation.

Former and current team mates are showing support by fund raising for her future care by auctioning off equipment too, with Maximillian Levy donating the bike he rode in the 2012 Olympic Keirin Final, for instance.

Comment

Ah, I missed that interview.

I did read in the German press that they have already raised Euro 125,000 through that campaign.

Comment

Ray, as someone who has watched much more track than I have, do you have a view as to whether the current Omnium is a better test than its predecessor(s)? I find the individual events easier to comprehend than their Omnium versions (when different) but that may just be lack of familiarity.

Comment

Not sure I’ve seen enough of it to judge yet. This weekend was the first championship event I’ve been to since the 2016 Worlds which was prior to the format change, having only seen sessions of some Six Days and a Keirin meeting in Japan since.

That was one of the reasons I was so keen to get to some of these Championships and I’m off to the World Cup in London in December too which should give me a better perspective to form an opinion.

Comment

The Eurosport Player feed for the track cycling has just started. I had assumed that all the events were open to the general public, but all the seating is empty for the Madison qualifying heats.

Comment

Looking at the site, the ticketed session appears to only start at 13:30 today so maybe they’re running that with doors closed.

All the weekend sessions were pretty full to sold out and the organisers were canny enough to put at least one medal even in the morning sessions which were otherwise largely qualifying.

A pity the same can’t be done with the swimming for practical reasons as I would have squeezed in a morning session of that had there been a chance to see anything other than heats.

Comment

Yeah, British Cycling have confirmed it is a closed session.

Ollie Wood and Ethan Hayter in the current Madison heat.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X