2020 vision.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 vision.

Having just checked the dates and venues, I am getting extremely excited about this - in contrast to the Nations League. After initially thinking that it was a fop having it touring around Europe because no-one could really afford to hold it (the rumour I heard), I think it is a good idea now. The cities holding it are, on the whole, great and I like the idea of no automatically qualified teams (although the Nations League qualifiers spoils this somewhat). Out of the cities holding matches, I would love to revisit six of them regardless of who is playing - Copenhagen, Amsterdam, , Glasgow, Bilbao, Dublin, Budapest; two I would like to visit anew regardless of who is playing - Rome and Munich; two I would like to visit if Wales are playing there - Baku and Bucharest. I love London naturally but have no need to schlep all the way up to Wembleynotlondon unless Wales were playing. I am assuming boycotting restrictions will still be running over Saint Petersburg.

I assume flight prices will be high during the tournament

Comment

Assuming that planes have again begun flying from Global Britain by then . . .

Comment

The pottery for the qualifying draw on 2 December. Five groups of five, five groups of six. Twenty teams (top 2 x 10) qualify automatically.

A few pots still to confirm, after the final Nations League games tonight. For example, Scotland beating Israel tonight would get them into Pot 3.
        Last edited by Kevin S; 20-11-2018, 09:53.

Comment

If Poland take points from Portugal this evening then Germany will be in Pot 2, would certainly make one of the groups interesting - or likely pretty impossible for any Pot 3-6 team to qualify from a group containing Germany and a Pot 1 seed.

Conceivable there could be a England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland & Gibraltar group?

Comment

Conceivable- although before Scotland's last game the odds are no better than 9,999-1

Comment

Switzerland-BiH-Serbia-Albania-Kosovo

Comment

Where eagles dare

Comment

Is the current Nations League the 18-19 one that offers unqualified teams playoff spots for the 2020 Euros?

Comment

Yes. So these qualifiers (which are drawn a week on Sunday) will start in late March.

Ten groups, top two qualify from each group. So that's 20 of your 24 (no hosts).

That will all be sorted out by this time next year.

The other four will indeed come from the Nations League playoffs, and they will take place in March 2020.

Comment

These are the international breaks for the Euro 2020 qualifiers. The groups with six teams in will use all the match days. Teams in groups of five will have a couple of slots for friendlies (or, in the case of Portugal, Netherlands, Switzerland and England, the Nations League finals in the June slots).

Matchday 1 21–23 March 2019
                      Matchday 2 24–26 March 2019
                      Matchday 3 7–8 June 2019
                      Matchday 4 10–11 June 2019
                      Matchday 5 5–7 September 2019
                      Matchday 6 8–10 September 2019
                      Matchday 7 10–12 October 2019
                      Matchday 8 13–15 October 2019
                      Matchday 9 14–16 November 2019
                      Matchday 10 17–19 November 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                        Switzerland-BiH-Serbia-Albania-Kosovo
                        The draw will be arranged to avoid "political clashes". This means Kosovo cannot be drawn with Bosnia or Serbia. Other prohibited pairings are Armenia & Azerbaijan, Gibraltar & Spain and Russia & Ukraine.

There are also a number of other restrictions on the draw - no more than two sides hosting finals matches can be drawn in the same group, no more than two nations classified as medium/ high risk for severe weather can be drawn together and then there are some limits to prevent excessive travel for some countries on the extremities of Europe.

Comment

I have to say that, like many I presume, I have changed my mind about the Nations League. My main issue with it presently is that there are still friendlies as well but no-one, I suppose, is forcing me to go.

Anyway, onto this, though the seeding system makes no sense ( I would feel fairly aggrieved if I were a NL group winner being in a pot down from the above groups relegated team) , I am just glad to see Wales in Pot 2. I remember a time when I thought I would never see us that high in my lifetime, such was the endless circuit of non-qualifying and hence being seeded in the lower pots. Here we are two years from having qualified and we still are in Pot 2, despite not having done a huge amount in that time.

Comment

With the conclusion of the Nations League the Euro 2020 qualifying seeding is confirmed.

And I see what you're saying Bored - this looks generous to Poland and Croatia at the expense of BiH and Ukraine.

Edit - and same in pots 4&5.
                            Last edited by Kevin S; 20-11-2018, 23:00.

Comment

That's quite a fall from Latvia since Euro 2004.

Comment

Very happy to see that there is no possibility of Romania and Hungary being drawn together

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                  That's quite a fall from Latvia since Euro 2004.
                                  Not as far as Greece ...

Comment

Bearing in mind the teams that have qualified for the Nations League play-offs are drawn in the five team groups isn't it likely that these teams will have a greater chance of being pooled together in the qualifying groups?

Comment

No, it's only the four teams in the League A finals who will be in the five team groups for certain. The Nations League playoffs for the final four spots take place early in 2020, after the main qualifying has finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                        And I see what you're saying Bored - this looks generous to Poland and Croatia at the expense of BiH and Ukraine.

Edit - and same in pots 4&5
                                        I'm all for dynamic rankings but Bosnia and Ukraine are hardly hard done by with a #2 seeding. The pair of them limped in 3rd in both the last 2 qualifying tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                          Not as far as Greece ...
                                          I know what you mean but I can't remember a team qualifying for a tournament so (relatively) recently then ending up in the bottom pool of seeds.

Comment

I don’t know what’s going on anymore. What is the 2020 vision and how are they going to cram in another international competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                              I don’t know what’s going on anymore. What is the 2020 vision
                                              Spreading the 2020 European Championships out across the continent rather than basing it in one host nation.

and how are they going to cram in another international competition.
                                              Assuming you mean the Nations League, it's already been done. Started in September, and used the six international fixture slots between then and now to complete the round robins. All that remains is to find the overall winner (England, Portugal, Switzerland or Netherlands) next summer.

Comment

Here are the hosting cities for Euro 2020, per Wiki:

Each city will host three group stage matches and one match in the round of 16 or quarter-finals. The match allocation for the 12 stadiums is as follows:

Group stage, round of 16, semi-finals, and final: London (England)
                                                Group stage and quarter-finals: Munich (Germany), Baku (Azerbaijan), Saint Petersburg (Russia), Rome (Italy)
                                                Group stage and round of 16: Copenhagen (Denmark), Bucharest (Romania), Amsterdam (Netherlands), Dublin (Republic of Ireland), Bilbao (Spain), Budapest (Hungary), Glasgow (Scotland)
                                                The host cities were divided into six pairings, established on the basis of sporting strength (assuming all host teams qualify), geographical considerations, and security/political constraints. The pairings were allocated to groups by means of a random draw on 7 December 2017. Each qualified host country will play a minimum of two matches at home. The group venue pairings is as follows:[29]

Group A: Rome (Italy) and Baku (Azerbaijan)
                                                Group B: Saint Petersburg (Russia) and Copenhagen (Denmark)
                                                Group C: Amsterdam (Netherlands) and Bucharest (Romania)
                                                Group D: London (England) and Glasgow (Scotland)
                                                Group E: Bilbao (Spain) and Dublin (Republic of Ireland)
                                                Group F: Munich (Germany) and Budapest (Hungary)

Comment

Each qualified host country will play a minimum of two matches at home. The group venue pairings is as follows:[29]

Group A: Rome (Italy) and Baku (Azerbaijan)
                                                  Group B: Saint Petersburg (Russia) and Copenhagen (Denmark)
                                                  Group C: Amsterdam (Netherlands) and Bucharest (Romania)
                                                  Group D: London (England) and Glasgow (Scotland)
                                                  Group E: Bilbao (Spain) and Dublin (Republic of Ireland)
                                                  Group F: Munich (Germany) and Budapest (Hungary)

Does that mean that if England and Scotland both qualify they're automatically already in group D together, or Russia and Denmark in Group B? That's going to take a lot of the suspense out of the finals draw.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X