What happened with Jim Carrey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened with Jim Carrey?

I've just watched the documentary Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond, about the filming of Man on the moon where Jim basically became Kaufman and all those characters Kaufman did, constantly on set which was as much impressing people, freaking people out and exhausting people. The scene with Jim being invited to the Playboy mansion in the midst of filming the movie but doing it a bit different is great.

But lately there's been more. He's changed, a lot. There's the brilliant when he's at home painting. Invited to sitcoms he's not the goofy guy anymore, as he was during The Mask, Ace Ventura and that era. He's venturing some deep stuff and often weird. You really don't know where you have him, if it's all an act, a role, exactly like Kaufman would turn up.

I don't think getting involved in all that anti-vaxxer poison bullshit when he dated Jenny McCarthy helped his cause much.

Comment

There’s a special place in hell for anti-vaxxers. Blood on their hands

Comment

What on earth is an anti-vaxxers? Is that what Gwyneth Paltrow is up to with her weird company?

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
          What on earth is an anti-vaxxers? Is that what Gwyneth Paltrow is up to with her weird company?
          Discredited bogus claims that MMR jabs cause autism.

Comment

Largely due to "celebrities" like Carrey and his ex-wife Jenny McCarthy, it has expanded well beyond that here, with all vaccines being seen as suspect. As a result, California now has a number of wealthy, trendy communities where herd immunity is at risk because parents are refusing to have their children vaccinated.

Comment

Oh, it's that thing.

Comment

I just caught up with "Bruce Almighty" which is a great film but have never seen anything of him since. You're welcome.

Comment

He was magnificent in The Truman Show.

Comment

I veer more towards his straight roles--Man in the Moon, The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind were all terrific.

Although I do like The Mask, Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber.

Comment

He's got a lot of questions to answer about his role in the death of Caitriona White. there's a good chance that he's a really terrible person.

Comment

And with this we're back at something we discussed here a couple of years ago.
                        With that, Stumpy, I don't mean "we have done this before and go read the old thread" . No

When Robin Williams died I brought up (I think) how it was extraordinary casting take someone who was known to be goofy, then suddenly throw him into a serious role.
                        One of Williams' most memorable roles was that of a serial killer.

There's something about it, if they can pull it off, when you take a goof ball, a comedian, and put him in a serious thriller role. There's something about the contrast which brings a perfect level of creepy into it. Jim Carrey has done his share of goofy. And he's done his share of drama to be impressed by.

Comment

So, to sum up: you (PPV, apologies) pretty much think that Jim Carrey might be a serial killer, yes?

See, I always thought it would be Laura Linney. Ach well. I can see it in both.

Comment

When it comes to "actors who you think might be serial killers", Randy Quaid scores high.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                              I veer more towards his straight roles--Man in the Moon, The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind were all terrific.

Although I do like The Mask, Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber.
                              I've always suspected that as an artistic challenge Gondry cast two actors whose previous personas had been very annoying, and then attempted to play against that through the performances he extracted from them. Problem for me, and I know I'm in a minority, is that I still found them both very irritating.

Comment

Originally posted by Haddock View Post
                                I've always suspected that as an artistic challenge Gondry cast two actors whose previous personas had been very annoying, and then attempted to play against that through the performances he extracted from them. Problem for me, and I know I'm in a minority, is that I still found them both very irritating.
                                I disagree. Carrey had already shown his straight-acting chops on several occasions before ESOTSM. And I quite like Kate Winslett.

Comment

I’m not decrying their ability to act, or actorate or whatever it is that Winslet does. It’s just that I found both of them enervating before the film, an opinion I know others shared, and wondered whether Gondry had decided to take two actors whose performances many found annoying and make them loveable. It didn’t succeed for me. I’m quite fond of a Manic Pixie Dreamgirl myself but if I ever came across the Winslet Clementine character you would not see me for dust.

Comment

Working...
                                  X