Contemporary thrillers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contemporary thrillers

I like reading these when I'm in the.mood. in the last year I've read "Honeymoon" by Tina Seskis and "The Couple Next Door" by Shari Lapena.

I enjoyed both of these. They had interesting plots and zipped along smoothly. But I thought that each of them resolved the story too simply. It made me wonder if the authors didn't know the ending when they started writing and ran out of steam. I was disappointed by both endings.

At the moment I'm reading "Her Every Fear" by Peter Swanson. I'm just over halfway through. It is very well plotted so far, and I hope I won't feel shortchanged when I come to the denouement!

What other contemporary thrillers would you recommend? And not recommend?

Haha. Well, I enjoyed The Girl on the Train. Definitely not Into the Water.

Night Film, by Marsha Pessel, was pretty good.
    Last edited by Incandenza; 26-07-2018, 01:13.

Comment

Our local bookstore (amazingly we still have one) clears out it's back room once a year or so and sells everything at a deep discount. Usually about $5 for paperbacks, plus a " "buy two and the third's free" additional deal. I always avail myself of this, partly because I want to support them, partly because I'm a cheapskate and partly because it's an inexpensive way of introducing myself to authors I've never heard of. A month back I picked up Vanished by Tim Weaver. I'd eaten it with a spoon within a few days. It's the third book in the David Raker series. Raker, an ex-journo, finds missing people for a living. Since then I've read two and a half others, they're very moreish.

Weaver's an ex-gamer and gaming journalist and it shows, but not in a Game of Thrones way. It means he has a great sense of surprise and plot twist. Most of his books are written in the present, with obscure back-stories dropped in that don't make a lot of sense until the main story catches up with them. He also possesses an excellent nose for place. Central to Vanished for example is the London Underground, it begins with a man getting on at Gloucester Road station and disappearing. He's also good on character. The books feature several regulars, who occasionally cease to exist in startling ways. If there's a downside it's that I've been reading them too quickly, so there's inevitable repetitiveness. Particularly as each of the characters and plot points have to be introduced to new readers. But I can live with that. Best read in order, there are seven books so far, and definitely recommended as entertaining time-wasters.

Comment

^^^^^^
        Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely try Tim Weaver. I'm reading "A Dark Redemption" by Stav Sherez. It's the first in a trilogy of books that feature a duo of detectives called Carrigan and Miller. An interesting aspect for me is that the book opens with the Carrigan character as a musician who has just graduated and signed a record deal. He is on a holiday in Uganda with two university friends and looking forward to his musical future. Then we jump forward 15 years or so and he is now a detective in London, investigating the murder of a Ugandan student. It is an intriguing set up!

I didn't realise when I bought it but the author used to write in the fantastic and much missed music magazine "Comes With A Smile".

Comment

I've just bought the 1st 3 Weavers for the kindle, £8.99. Ta for the recommendation.

Comment

Working...
          X