No announcement yet.

Allison, Muriel, Lilian and Sue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the nineteen seventies most clubs had at least one Mel: Blyth, Holden, Machin and so on. Then there was the much-travelled striker Viv(ian) Busby, and I'm sure there must have been a Bev(erly) or two knocking around, but I can't remember one off the top of my head.

Comment

Ashley Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
        I'm sure in the 80s there was a hard as nails division 4 centre half called Tracy or Stacy, but can't find a trace of him.
        Nah, you're thinking of Forbes Philipson-Masters.

Comment

Burnley have two Ashleys, Barnes and Westwood.

Does Jan count?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
            Burnley have two Ashleys, Barnes and Westwood.

Does Jan count?
            Jan probably doesn't count, but: Jan-Ingwer Callsen-Bracker anyway, simply because it's a good name. And because "Ingwer" means "ginger", so he's called "Jan-Ginger", which must be a girl's name of some sort.

Comment

Two pages and no mention of Pegguy Arphexad …

Comment

Viv Anderson.

Comment

I seem to remember that Dennis Bergkamp's dad named him after Denis Law but had to use two n's because the English Denis is the Dutch Denise,is this right?

Comment

All I can find online is that the Dutch registrar refused to accept the spelling so it was changed according to custom.

Comment

Marian Pahars

Jo

Valerie Lobanovsky

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                        Ashley Grimes, the Man Utd and Luton one,He is also unfortunate enough to have Augustine as his middle name
                        I knew Grimes' cousin Karl at Dublin Uni. He had a ginger poodle-mullet like Ray Lewington

Another male classmate was Christopher Mary. Catholics eh?
                        Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 23-07-2018, 07:36.

Comment

All joking apart, I'm intrigued by some things raised by this thread because I've always thought of a name like Ashley as essentially a 'male'-sounding one, which has become progressively more 'feminised' over recent years by (particularly) American usage for girls – like, say, Jamie or Casey or Morgan or Taylor. (That is, not quite in the same boat as more traditional genuinely unisex names like Viv, Mel, and so on.)

Now, though, I'm wondering if it's always been generally thought of as a more 'female' name and it was simply my perception of it that was coloured by first coming across it worn by (male) footballers when I was growing up...?

Comment

'Viv/Vivian' - as in 'Viv Busby' - works, but 'Mel' for a man is usually the short form of 'Melvyn' or 'Melville'.

'Michael' seems to be a common-enough female forename in the US. Never fully understood that when 'Michele' exists as a perfectly workable equivalent.

Comment

There must be a few male Maria's in the Germanosphere. Or is it retained purely as a middle name?

I have wondered lately if immigration from the east could see the resurrection of Valery as a male name.
                              Last edited by Levin; 23-07-2018, 08:38.

Comment

Angel di Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                  There must be a few male Maria's in the Germanosphere. Or is it retained purely as a middle name?.
                                  Usually as a middle-name, much like the Marie in French.

Which brings us to the double-whammy of JEAN-MARIE PFAFF.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                    All joking apart, I'm intrigued by some things raised by this thread because I've always thought of a name like Ashley as essentially a 'male'-sounding one, which has become progressively more 'feminised' over recent years by (particularly) American usage for girls – like, say, Jamie or Casey or Morgan or Taylor. (That is, not quite in the same boat as more traditional genuinely unisex names like Viv, Mel, and so on.)

Now, though, I'm wondering if it's always been generally thought of as a more 'female' name and it was simply my perception of it that was coloured by first coming across it worn by (male) footballers when I was growing up...?
                                    All the Ashleys I've known or known of are men.

Jordan is one that seems to swing between the sexes, mostly boys now thanks to Michael (or Joe?), but growing up it was a girl's name.

I used to work with a female Jody Craddock. Possibly spelled Jodie though.

Comment

Jocelyn Angloma

Comment

Valeri Karpin (prob a fair feedinä Eastern Europe Valeris)

Comment

Shirley Abbott:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirle...t_(footballer)

Comment

I'm working with a male Elle now. No idea what his parents were thinking.

Comment

I know a transgender kid who chose Elle as the name they'd be known by when they started identifying as male.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                                Jordan is one that seems to swing between the sexes, mostly boys now thanks to Michael (or Joe?), but growing up it was a girl's name.
                                                Both Jordans I know are male. I also know a male Paris and a male Lauran. All of them are younger than me.

Comment

Jock Stein. (Jock is short for Jocelyn).

Comment

Lobanovsky, Karpin and others are "victims" of transcription of men's name Валерий (women alternative in Russian is Валерия).
                                                    Pahars with women name should be Marianna not Marians (ok, he was born at Ukraine with name Мариан and 's' at the end got with passport of Latvia but also in Russian for women it's Марианна).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X