No announcement yet.

Things you'd really quite like to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing with bison, right, is you see your first bison and you're all "Fuck me! There's a bison!". You see your second bison and you're "Fuck me! There's ANOTHER bison!". You see a whole herd of bison crossing a road and walking across a plain towards hills and water in the distance and you think "Fuck me! There's America."

I'm very fond of bison.

Comment

Other things I'd like to do:

See bears in Alaska
      Brush a tapir
      Go on a safari with elephants, giraffes, lions and that
      Swim with dolphins
      Go in a shark cage
      Go to the Svalbard and Pyramiden
      See Pripyat

I dunno. There's probably more.

Comment

All animal righrs chaps say don't do the swim with dolphin bit at one of those aquaparks. But then you're not meant to swim with wild ones, either, even the ones that come out to the boats like we saw in Portugal. It's quite the conundrum that.

Comment

I wouldn't do it in a water park. I'm going to hunt the little fuckers down in the wild and make them do it there. Not that I can swim. But if I could, it'd be top of my list.

Comment

I'd quite like to take a few months off and hike the Pacific Crest Trail...Maybe I'll have time next year...

Comment

You should have Hurtigruten on your list, EIM.

You can skip to the fifth minute then watch at least one minute and you will see why

Comment

I'd love to do the US coast-to-coast thing, but by bicycle. I looked at doing this a couple of years ago via a guided holiday (taking about 42 days which I think is a reasonable timescale) but ultimately whilst I love cycling, I simply cannot bear to be in the presence of other cyclists.

And I cannot wait to do the edge-walk at the CN Tower, which should be happening later this year.

Comment

I did Hurtigruten 30+ years ago. Cannot recommend highly enough, particularly on a cargo/mail ship.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew7610 View Post
                    And I cannot wait to do the edge-walk at the CN Tower, which should be happening later this year.
                    Yes, that looks like good fun. We watch them from Skydome during Jays' games and think 'what the actual fuck?'

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                      You should have Hurtigruten on your list, EIM.

You can skip to the fifth minute then watch at least one minute and you will see why

That's stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                        Yes, that looks like good fun. We watch them from Skydome during Jays' games and think 'what the actual fuck?'
                        Similarly, I saw them doing it once and thought fuck that.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                          Similarly, I saw them doing it once and thought fuck that.
                          Erm...I think we're just saying the exact same thing in slightly different ways.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                            That's stunning.
                            Video doesn't do it justice since on route you can spot loads of wildlife like eagles, whale herds and other.

Comment

Erm...I think we're just saying the exact same thing in slightly different ways.
                              Oh we are, I was just adding emphasis.

Comment

In terms of travelling, I still need to go to Ushuaia, Antartica and the Galapagos. Plus return to Alaska and go to Nome or Barrow. And visit Japan.

But away from travelling, I want to:

Properly learn some card tricks and associated sleight of hand
                                Write a book
                                Tell certain politicians to fuck off, loudly and to their faces
                                Tell certain comics and singers thank you, respectfully and to their faces

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                  Oh we are, I was just adding emphasis.
                                  Ah. Apparently I'm not 100% sure what similarly means...

Comment

When I lived in New Mexico did a fair few long road trips. California twice, east coast a few times, once by way of Lubbock, Shreveport, New Orleans (2 days), Savannah, (2 days), Charleston (2 days). Two weeks in North Carolina, week in Virginia then back by way of West Virginia, Tennessee, Missouri, Kansas and Colorado. The stretch across Kansas and easrern Colorado is numbingly dull. Also trips into the Rockies, the mid-west and New England. I love driving.

I would love to visit the South Pacific. Some thing about it fascinates me.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                                      I would love to visit the South Pacific. Some thing about it fascinates me.
                                      This! Tahiti...Fiji...Bora Bora...all those island/palm tree places.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew7610 View Post
                                        I'd love to do the US coast-to-coast thing, but by bicycle. I looked at doing this a couple of years ago via a guided holiday (taking about 42 days which I think is a reasonable timescale) but ultimately whilst I love cycling, I simply cannot bear to be in the presence of other cyclists.

That's you scratched off the 'otfers who might like to join in the cycle ride from Tannadice to Bökelberg/Borussia Park', then!

Comment

This! Tahiti...Fiji...Bora Bora...all those island/palm tree places.
                                          Absolutely. Island hopping by boat. Just a dream at my age.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                            The thing with bison, right, is you see your first bison and you're all "Fuck me! There's a bison!". You see your second bison and you're "Fuck me! There's ANOTHER bison!". You see a whole herd of bison crossing a road and walking across a plain towards hills and water in the distance and you think "Fuck me! There's America."

I'm very fond of bison.
                                            Bison really are, even more than the bald eagle, the proper symbol of America. Once there will millions or maybe billions and they were everywhere, but then white people deliberately pushed them to the brink of extinction to starve the indigenous people and because a lot of white people just like to shoot things. Mention that whenever somebody, probably somebody who claims to be a moderate, tells you how great Teddy Roosevelt was. He wasn't a mountain man. He was a fucking east coast elite imperialist white supremacist who slaughtered animals by the thousands just because he could.

So if you want to see America, I suggest you do it soon (or, better yet, 250 years ago) before it's totally destroyed.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 20-07-2018, 15:40.

Comment

Wasn't one of the many good things following Dances with wolves, that it raised awareness regarding the preservation of bison?
                                              I seem to remember a piece describing how the got that herd for the movie from the only place in America having them in that number.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                                I'd quite like to take a few months off and hike the Pacific Crest Trail...Maybe I'll have time next year...
                                                I've thought about doing the AT or PCT, but I don't know when I'll have that much time or extra money, nor am I sure I want to put that much wear and tear on my knees at this age.

Have you read Wild or seen the film? Highly recommended and as that story shows, a massive through-hike is a major spiritual and/or psychological journey. So if you don't feel called to that, you'd probably have more fun just doing a series of shorter hikes along the best bits of those trails, rather than slogging the whole thing and having to hitchike into towns to get your food, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                                                  Wasn't one of the many good things following Dances with wolves, that it raised awareness regarding the preservation of bison?
                                                  I seem to remember a piece describing how the got that herd for the movie from the only place in America having them in that number.
                                                  That's probably true.

But cattle ranchers don't like them and of course we should let cattle ranchers make our land policy, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                    Plus return to Alaska and go to Nome or Barrow.
                                                    Barrow is a trippy place. We taught on the North Slope and going to Barrow was like visiting New York City.

The slogan "No Place Like Nome" is definitely true. I'd use Nome as a base (try to get there during Iditarod time) and see some of the smaller villages of Seward Peninsula.

I'll put in a plug for Unalakleet, which was our home for many years. Relatively easy to get to and fantastic fishing.

Bring lots of money.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X