Things you'd really quite like to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel by bike along the old iron curtain

Drive up the coast of Norway with the crazy amount of tunnels under fjords (ditto for the Faroes)

Drive the west coast of the US from San Francisco to Seattle

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
      Other things I'd like to do:

See bears in Alaska
      I was doing that two days ago. It's fucking astonishing. There were 13 brown bears in the falls at Katmai grabbing salmon out of the water. Big fuckers, too, bigger than grizzlies. One walked out on to our path as we were trying to get to the viewing area, and we had to back away slowly and wait for it to leave. I don't really have words for it.

Comment

A lot of travel people here wish to do, but whatever happened to "becoming an astronaut"? Have we given up this much, that we'll now settle for a few days driving on asphalt?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          I was doing that two days ago. It's fucking astonishing. There were 13 brown bears in the falls at Katmai grabbing salmon out of the water. Big fuckers, too, bigger than grizzlies. One walked out on to our path as we were trying to get to the viewing area, and we had to back away slowly and wait for it to leave. I don't really have words for it.
          Beauty.

Brown bears are awesome beasts.

I'm getting real nostalgic for Alaska.

Comment

Did one of them shit in the woods?

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
              A lot of travel people here wish to do, but whatever happened to "becoming an astronaut"? Have we given up this much, that we'll now settle for a few days driving on asphalt?
              I wanted to be an astronaut. And then I sat in a capsule at Kennedy Space Center. My claustrophobia kicked in massively. Would love to work there though.

I fear I am a little old to be a train driver now.

Comment

Quite simple for me: I want to learn how to play the piano. Just can't find the time, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                  Each of my travel dreams are realizable within a year or so, if I set my mind to it. Becoming an astronaut, not so much.

Comment

Fantasy: A full Lions tour, every midweek game, every Test. Any of the three countries, although probably Australia because I could catch up with family and also the Australian vicar who was seconded to our church with his family when I was a lad.

Ashes Boxing Day Test at the MCG.

Away from the sport, learn to play the bass again, I have a nearly 30 year old Fender Precision lurking in its case, waiting to be taken up like Excalibur.

Comment

I hate travelling.
                      I love being in places, I just really hate getting there. So I find that even if I do go somewhere nice, the last few days are ruined by the thought of having to go through the hassle of getting home. P once suggested we do one of those great railway journeys. Imagine, 2 weeks trapped on a sodding train. It'd be like the Thameslink.

And driving is the bore to end all bores. My Mum lives 90 minutes away and I honestly have to psych myself up for a couple of days before visiting her because I hate the journey.
                      My parents once drove us to the fucking lake district in a Mk1 Fiesta from Hampshire. That to them was a holiday. To me it was child abuse. 14 hours in a car sandwiching 5 days of dull grey countryside tedium.

So what I would quite like to do is invent a teleporter. Either that or be able to afford a personal physician/driver who could knock me out if I had to be travellng for more than an hour. (Or if I had to be in the.Lake district, for for the entire duration.)
                      Last edited by hobbes; 20-07-2018, 23:28.

Comment

I'd like to keep a meal in me for the regulation 40 hours rather than roughly 40 minutes. It's very draining.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                          I hate travelling.
                          I love being in places, I just really hate getting there. So I find that even if I do go somewhere nice, the last few days are ruined by the thought of having to go through the hassle of getting home. P once suggested we do one of those great railway journeys. Imagine, 2 weeks trapped on a sodding train. It'd be like the Thameslink.

And driving is the bore to end all bores. My Mum lives 90 minutes away and I honestly have to psych myself up for a couple of days before visiting her because I hate the journey.
                          My parents once drove us to the fucking lake district in a Mk1 Fiesta from Hampshire. That to them was a holiday. To me it was child abuse. 14 hours in a car sandwiching 5 days of dull grey countryside tedium.

So what I would quite like to do is invent a teleporter. Either that or be able to afford a personal physician/driver who could knock me out if I had to be travellng for more than an hour. (Or if I had to be in the.Lake district, for for the entire duration.)
                          I love being in transit, and the Lake District is great (I admit, in small doses).

If only there were a word for how wrong you can be at times.

Comment

Yeah. Hobbes is a world of wrong. A road trip is not spending 12 hours on the M25. A rail journey isn't spending 12 hours on a Southern Train from Clapham Junction to Waterloo.

Flying is most miserable not because of the cramped conditions and long waits at security. It's miserable because you often don't have the feeling of actually "going somewhere", where you see the scenery going by.

I really love road trips. All kinds of road trips. Someone earlier said that the European Road Trip isn't the same as the US one, and that might be partly true because of the defined edges of the continent. But the best US road trips don't necessarily go east to west. Driving up Big Sur or the Sierras or through the Great Basin to Wyoming or doing a lap of the great scenery of Utah is not an end-to-end drive. Equally, a road trip from Britain, that takes you through Champagne and Burgundy and Alsace and the Black Forest and ending in the Alps is magnificent in ways that can't be achieved in North America.

Comment

I'm mainly with Hobbes. Trains and boats are brilliant (except for necessary ferries) but cars and (especially) planes are the absolute pits of hell.

Comment

Car trips are the absolute best. I'd drive anywhere, any time. I've driven Toronto / California. Toronto / Florida probably ten times. Toronto / North Carolina five times. We drive to Detroit and Buffalo just to go to a concert. Toronto / Cleveland is a weekend trip, no problem. We drove to D.C. once just to see Kraftwerk, and they were bumped from the lineup. Driven in the UK, France and Iceland. Love it. If I could sell it all and buy a small RV, I could happily drive around gawking at stuff for the rest of my life.

Comment

Nah. I do it when I have to but I've never particularly enjoyed driving, and the older I get the more stressed. More and more it just seems yet another arena for male assholery.

Comment

The driving is almost the least important part of the road trip. The journey (to places trains and boats can't take you), the scenery, the weird radio stations, the stops at places that just look vaguely interesting, the detours, the people you bump in to, the local snacks that fill the car, those are what's great about the road trip. Provided that the car is comfortable and big enough to take all your shit and easy to drive, the car and driving is right at the back of the list.

Comment

It's good if you can put it there. I can't. At best it's tiresome, at worst life-threatening. More importantly I'm worse at it now than I was twenty years ago as my reactions are slower. If it were practical I'd jack it in altogether.

Comment

Equally, a road trip from Britain, that takes you through Champagne and Burgundy and Alsace and the Black Forest and ending in the Alps is magnificent in ways that can't be achieved in North America.
                                        Clearly you haven’t been to South of the Border.

Comment

In fact, I have. It's a decent facsimile of German Mexican food.

Comment

I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing.

http://www.thesouthoftheborder.com/

Comment

You're right. I'm thinking of On The Border.

I've never stopped at South of the Border.

Comment

You're right. I'm thinking of On The Border.

I've never stopped at South of the Border.
                                                It’s THE place for quasi-legal fireworks and nunchucks.

Comment

The driving is almost the least important part of the road trip. The journey (to places trains and boats can't take you), the scenery, the weird radio stations, the stops at places that just look vaguely interesting, the detours, the people you bump in to, the local snacks that fill the car, those are what's great about the road trip. Provided that the car is comfortable and big enough to take all your shit and easy to drive, the car and driving is right at the back of the list.
                                                  This, as they say.

Comment

Moaning bastard is back again.

Memories of my US road trips are punctuated by stops at places liberally filled with inbreds eating fried chicken.

I’m clearly crap at road trips.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X