Things you know NOTHING about that everyone else does

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things you know NOTHING about that everyone else does

Not, you know, who finished third at each Open Championship of the 1980s. But the stuff that at any social gathering, everyone has an opinion of, rudimentary knowledge of, but you literally can't offer anything to the conversation.

My glaring one is cars. I drive, have done for almost 20 years. I have absolutely no interest them as machines any more than I do refridgerators, nor any more understanding at all about how they work or which is a good one.

What the one above said

Comment

Currently, celebrities. I recognize almost nobody on the front of tabloids, have no idea what a Kardashian or a Jenner looks like. And recently, someone named Daniel Caesar played 5 sold out nights in a row at the Danforth Music Hall and I'd never heard of him once in my life.

Comment

Television in general. I watch a lot of sport and the occasional crime drama, that's it. Makes those work conversations easy.

"Did you see...."

"Probably not."

"Have you been watching...."

"Nope."

I just can't be arsed. Watching a series takes effort and I just can't give it my attention.

Comment

Mortgages. OK, I doubt many people are extremely knowledgeable about them, but I don't know the first thing about them as I've only ever rented.

(Though I suppose this might be more common than I might think, given how hard it is to be a first-time buyer nowadays).

Comment

The thing with mortgages is that you know pretty much everything about them when you need to deal with and then instantly forget every single detail as soon as you have made the first cup of tea in your new house. Which is a pain when, as I am, you are into the two years mark when you are supposed to renegotiate.

Comment

The stock market (which, given it's where most of our money is, is more than a bit stupid.)

Comment

A lot of the above,also computers and modern technology,I constantly amaze and amuse my co workers with my lack of knowledge

Comment

Gardening. Home improvements. I am the kiss of death to anything horticultural and I need to get a tradesman in for even the most basic repairs.

"Your yard would look nice if you planted some...". I mumble excuses and make for the drinks.

"If you use a 16mm socket with a..." I start to whimper.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                    The thing with mortgages is that you know pretty much everything about them when you need to deal with and then instantly forget every single detail as soon as you have made the first cup of tea in your new house. Which is a pain when, as I am, you are into the two years mark when you are supposed to renegotiate.
                    This. I once did a spreadsheet showing how much Mrs WOM's pension will be if she works until 52, 54, 56, 58, 60 etc. I mean, calculated to the dollar based on her 85-factor, present salary, correcting for inflation, etc. I guarantee it would take me a week to get my head around how to do it again.

Comment

How to keep a plant alive.

Comment

Cooking.

I mean, I can heat something up in an oven for a requisite amount of time OK but ask me to follow a recipe and it's like the start of an episode of Casualty. Hence why 95% of my "hot meals" diet is microwaveable, boil-in-the-bag, add-hot-water or takeaways.

I never stood a chance though, with the exception of my older sister my entire family are equally abysmal.

Comment

Videogames. It's such a massive thing amongst teens to forties but I have so little knowledge (despite being generally interested) that it's hard to talk about them in any meaningful way.

Comment

The Greatest Showman - no fucking clue

American sports team nicknames which my students have known since the cradle but which leave me stumped.

Comment

As previously confessed, electricity. No understanding at all. Is it a 'thing', a chemical, black magic? No idea. None. Not even a rudimentary understanding of a watt or a volt or anything.

That said, I can successfully rewire a lamp. Make of that what you will.

Comment

Cars
                                Electrics
                                DIY in general
                                Rugby (and I don't care)

Comment

Blimey, I'm an amalgamation of much of the above...

Cars
                                  Electricity
                                  Gardens
                                  DIY
                                  Mortgages
                                  Gas
                                  Pensions
                                  Celebrities
                                  Television
                                  Pop music
                                  Bringing up kids

I'm generally known to have a happy demeanour. Maybe it's cos I don't know anything about that lot.

Comment

Computers. I suppose it makes me a failure in this day and age that I don't know how to code, but there's nothing that I want my computer to do that it doesn't already do except for transcribe interviews, and I'm certain that I could never code a computer to do that in my spare time given that billions of dollars, person hours, and genius have already been poured into doing that and they haven't quite cracked it yet. And in my limited experience with coding in high school and a little in college, I hated it and hate fighting with machines that are invariably designed for people who are, apparently, nothing like me.

When there's something I want to know how to do, I can usually learn to do it. I understand how html works, I just find it a pain in the ass.

In most almost every other kind of situation where I think "I wonder if there's a way to do this," the answer is either a) That defies the laws of physics, so no. b) Yes, but it requires hardware you don't have and can't afford c) Yes, and it requires software you don't have and IT won't let me download it onto the system d) Yes, and here's the way to do it using a free thing that is easily downloaded so don't bother trying to reinvent it.

Electricity for me too. I have studied it and have, at times, understood it and known what capacitors, transistors, etc, are. But for some reason it just slips through my brain and I have to look it up again each time. So, for example, right now I can't explain how alternating current works.
                                    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 19-07-2018, 21:26.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post
                                      Videogames. It's such a massive thing amongst teens to forties but I have so little knowledge (despite being generally interested) that it's hard to talk about them in any meaningful way.
                                      Snap - thankfully, the whole Fortnite fad has passed me by.

Comment

If you substitute 'pop music' for 'current pop music', then pretty much everything listed so far on this page...

Comment

Originally posted by Crveni Vrag View Post
                                          Yeah, me too. But for me, it's more "I've spent enough hours playing video games for one lifetime" than anything wrong with the games themselves. If I owned a big TV, a gaming console, and had a need to spend hours away from my family, and nothing more interesting that I wanted to do, then maybe I'd be into it. But I have none of those things and the money it would take to acquire them would be better spent on other things.

Indeed, as I'm getting into the second half (optimistically) of my life, I'm finding there are a lot of things I did when I was younger that I'm just done with. Sure, the games now are more sophisticated and look better than the ones I was into 15+ years ago and there are times I think I'd like to buy a PS4 so I can play MLB the Show or the latest FIFA, but it's still the same basic experience that it's always been and I've done enough.

Comment

Much of the above:

Cars
                                            Basketball
                                            Music post-2010 (maybe post 2000, I've lost touch so much)
                                            DIY/Fixing things
                                            Celebby stuff
                                            Trashy mainstream telly stuff
                                            And a lot of computery stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Crveni Vrag View Post
                                              Not quite yet, if the shouting, cursing, recriminations and calls to murder emanating from my basement [at this very fucking moment] are anything to go by.

<In cracking teenage boy voice> "Jimmy. Jimmy. Jimmy shoot. SHOOT. BEHIND THE TREE. Other guy....what's your name? No, other guy. Hi Lucas. Leave that for me. I got it. I got it. CAN YOU NOT!!!! Kill him. KILL HIM. Lucas...another one behind the wood pile. Okay, I left you some ammo. NOOOOO! Okay, I gotta go for dinner...."

Non-stop for almost three months now.

Comment

A three month dinner is probably excessive.

Comment

Can't think of anything.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X