Fylde Away: Weekend Matchgoing 21 July and thereabouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fylde Away: Weekend Matchgoing 21 July and thereabouts

I live less than three miles from Carlisle's ground, and on occasion can't be bothered going that far for a competitive match. My mate lives on the same road as the ground, has a season ticket and still managed to miss League games last season through apathy.

But it's a NEW DAWN so we're going to a pre-season friendly at AFC Fylde, on the train.

Anyone else venturing out after the World Cup, blinking as they adjust to the sunlight?

Off to the Speedway Grand Prix at the Millennium Stadium, it's too early in the summer for football.

Comment

I went to Vasco v Fluminense last night. Both teams have financial problems and a shortage of quality so a fairly uneventful 1-1 draw was no surprise. And unlike in Vasco’s previous home game on Monday when a giant rat invaded the pitch, there were no noteworthy non-football incidents.

The São Januário is a wonderful old stadium but I was disappointed to discover that Vasco have replaced their unique behind the goal dug-outs with conventional ones by the side of the pitch.

Comment

I'm off to Scotland for a week. The weekend sees me visiting the beauty spots of Fife, starting at Cowdenbeath v Cove Rangers tomorrow followed by East Fife v Forfar Athletic on Sunday.

Comment

As planned did the Scottish League Cup matches at Cowdenbeath and East Fife over the weekend. The latter match has surprisingly ended up with two threads dedicated to it, which is more than would be expected for a fairly run of the mill game. Definitely a higher level game than at Central Park the previous afternoon. Cowdenbeath are meant to have strengthened over the summer but needed a late winner to defeat Cove Rangers, who they had narrowly beaten in the promotion/ relegation playoff last season. Odd watching at Central Park, with it being primarily set up for stock car racing, meaning viewing through high fencing and across the track.

This evening I've been watching Avoch v NMM Sam's in the Inverness League (the visitors are named after their two sponsors, an Indian restaurant and a scrap metal dealers). Lovely setting in a village on the Black Isle at a ground where someone has at some point spent a great deal of time creating a flat pitch out of a hillside. Good game with both sides leading at various points, with Avoch winning 3-2 in the end.

Comment

The facilities at Fylde put Carlisle's to shame - 22 screen sports bar, good food and drink with separate restaurant and conference/facilities. But then we're not bankrolled by a UKIP supporting fracking advocate, so, y'know.

Carlisle played surprisingly well for a team that is coming together by the day (we signed two on Friday who went straight into the first choice XI next day). I'm a bit more hopeful about the coming season, but as I'm missing the first few games of the season that might have evaporated by the time I get to see them play again.

Comment

Watched Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Raith Rovers this evening. Very impressive first half performance by Inverness as they absolutely dominated, aside from that they forgot to score. They finally sorted this out a couple of minutes into the second half, at which point they decided they didn't need to do more. From this point on Raith looked much better and it was not a surprise when they equalised shortly after the hour. This shook Inverness back into action but they continued to lack the fluidity they had shown in the first half. It looked like penalties were looming, but Inverness maintained their 100% record with a late winner.

Comment

Passing their ground last Wednesday made me think "That'll be bloody cold in Winter"...

Comment

Tonight I was at another ground that must be bloody cold in winter. Even on a sunny evening Peterhead was a bit chilly due to the wind coming in and off the North Sea. Impressive pre-match entertainment in the form of a display by the Red Arrows, which I can only assume happens before every game here

Peterhead were already eliminated but didn't look greatly outmatched by visitors Dundee. However they have failed to score so far this season and didn't really come too close tonight. Dundee finally scored early in the second half and then secured the points with a second from the last kick of the game.

Comment

Working...
                  X