Leicester than zero? - Premier League 2018/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be fair...
    Traore was there when he arrived. Insúa was a 17year old prospect, Dossena was cover (who scored two great goals against Man Utd and Real Madrid) and Aurelio was fantastic when he was fit. He just wasn't fit very often.
    He also signed Arbeloa who was great.
    Vignal was a dud though.

Comment

he didn't sign vignal either. Vignal was a houllier signing and left at the start of his first season. Rafa just wasn't very good at signing players. He signed a small number of really good players in the first two years, and an awful lot of players who weren't that great after that. A lot of the signings seemed to be at random. You can see the issue with benitez when you compare him to Klopp. Benitez had a clear plan for what he wanted his team to do without the ball, but he didn't really have much of a plan when the team did have the ball. So he had a higher hit rate when signing defenders, than when signing players further up the pitch. Klopp has both, which means that he has a much better idea what he's looking for, which is why liverpool sign a much smaller number of players than under benitez and they're generally speaking much more successful.

(It's important to bear in mind that liverpool were signing an average of 7 senior players and 10 underage players a year under benitez. Klopp averages five senior signings a season)

Insua was only 17 when he arrived as Hobbes pointed out, and in benitez's final season he made 31 league appearances. Then Benitez left. and so did he. He might very well have been a decent player given a run of games over a couple of seasons, but after benitez left, he started moving around, and his development stalled.
      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 17-12-2018, 12:58.

Comment

Just catching up with MotD this morning and wondered why there seemed to be so many empty seats at the Etihad for Man. City vs Everton.

Also I've noticed recently that it seems to be becoming harder and harder to find attendance figures. They used to be prominently displayed on most match reports but now a lot of sites, including BBC Sport, don't seem to give them.

Comment

To find them on the BBC website you have to go to the bottom of the match report and change the tab from 'Match Stats' to 'Line-Ups' and the attendance is just at the bottom under the referee's name. Bit faffy though. Whoever decided that 'Match Stats' should be the default tab, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
            To find them on the BBC website you have to go to the bottom of the match report and change the tab from 'Match Stats' to 'Line-Ups' and the attendance is just at the bottom under the referee's name. Bit faffy though. Whoever decided that 'Match Stats' should be the default tab, anyway?
            Cheers. There seemed to be a lot of empty seats at Saturday's matches.

Comment

Did you not see the weather? Even I felt terrible for all the players.

Comment

Online betting companies?

Comment

Attendance figures don't mean a great deal these days anyway. They count how many tickets have been sold, not how many people are actually in the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                    "We've" got a great team. But I refuse to believe the hype until they ("we"?), y'know, live up to it.
                    This is a bullshit attitude and completely not in keeping with the spirit of the English Premier League. Crush your opponents with hubris and premature glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      I thought Neil Etheridge threw some real shade on him in the interview. "We're all professionals."
                      I'd have greater sympathy for that position if he hadn't got up from that challenge to cover any follow-up and then, once the danger was clear, flung himself to the ground in mock-agony. And I don't have a great deal of time for someone who claims they're not going to talk about something then waggles his eyebrows and spends time all but spelling it out. Obviously my take is influenced by being a Watford fan, but I thought that was a perfectly legitimate challenge by Deeney - a foul because he ultimately caught him, maybe a yellow, nothing serious.

Perverse moan from Warnock at the end of the game. I thought perhaps he was trying to do it as a distraction from defeat, but I'm not sure why he'd feel the need - Cardiff are outside of the relegation zone, doing about as well as anyone would expect, and all the discussion would have been about the game's exciting almost-comeback/wonder goals. Andy Madley was somewhat lenient perhaps, but it wasn't an intense game tackle wise. It was about as good a performance as I've seen from any ref at this level, albeit he didn't really have anything controversial to consider. The best that Warnock could summon against him was that Deeney should have had a yellow for the Etheridge challenge and I think he said something in one of his interviews about a possible foul on Josh Murphy in the build-up to one of the goals. And let's be honest, there's very little difference between Watford v Cardiff and any fixture in the Championship, where Madley has plenty of experience, so I'm not sure what the issue is with having a ref only doing his second Premier League game - they've got to have a second game at some point, after all. He seemed to think it was unfair that little old Cardiff got the inexperienced ref (note, little old Watford weren't apparently subject to this inexperience), but again, I don't think it's unjust that a junior ref gets a lower-half game in mid-December as opposed to, say, Liverpool-United.

Comment

I still think it was a deft shade throw. Deeney ain't a choirboy and he was lucky not to get a yellow.

Warnock always moans about something else. Of course it's not his defenders at fault for letting three players shoot from outside the box when that is what Watford do (judging by the medley at the end of MOTD).

Comment

Does anyone else imagine BDG rubbing his hands with glee whenever Shaquiri does anything noteworthy on a weekend?

Comment

Oh God, I love BDG's Shaquiri cartoon almost as much as I love Shaquiri.

Comment

Pay her tax, then.

Comment

Rainy at Wolves tonight.
                                Liverpool a goal up, Wolves looking strong. Keita finally fouled out of the game so Lallana is on. Lallana. Fucks sake.

Comment

Liverpool 2-0. Van Dijk with a centre forward's finish.

Comment

Wolves really need to work on second balls from free kicks, both goals have come from dozing after poor set pieces were initially cleared.
                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-12-2018, 21:31.

Comment

It's been a generally clean game despite the conditions, but I'm amazed Coady wasn't booked for a challenge on Mane so late his pass had actually made it to Salah already.

Comment

Decent result at a tough ground on a shocking night, weather-wise. Pretty happy.

Comment

Liverpool top at Christmas then.
                                          8 out of the last 10 Christmas leaders have gone on to win the league.
                                          The last to fail were Liverpool in 2013-14 so they'll be keen to not let this slip.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                            Liverpool top at Christmas then.
                                            8 out of the last 10 Christmas leaders have gone on to win the league.
                                            The last to fail were Liverpool in 2013-14 so they'll be keen to not let this slip.
                                            Haha! You naughty boy!

Comment

65% wanted Match Stats, 35% wanted Line-Ups.

Comment

What a strike by Townsend, they'll be selling Liverpool champions tshirts by teatime.

Comment

Hit the back of the net so hard that it rebounded out as far as the penalty spot.

Just as well he scored. That could have killed somebody.

Comment

Crisis

Comment

Working...
                                                    X