• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Interesting article from Monde on the poor state of pitches in Ligue 1

In French, of course.

Comment

I see that BT've still got Ligue 1, and Reims are on tomorrow night. Sadly I'll be out...

Comment

Cracking tie at the Louis II - after what had been a dull first 45, it's now 2-2 between Monaco and Marseille. Thauvin continuing his excellent form, and now has 3 in 4 this season.

Comment

Some spectacular Marseille goals against Guingamp tonight - that man Thauvin again making Newcastle fans weep.

Comment

The Aviron Bayonnais twitter feed is midly amusing this week.

Comment

Montpellier-Nîmes stopped a few times due to crowd trouble today.

Sainté have snuck up to second which is nice but that will probably only last until this evening.

Comment

Some interesting (and busy) tifos tonight at La Mosson for the Montpellier-Nîmes derby, the first one in the league for 25 years.

https://twitter.com/beinsports_FR/status/1046420585386070016

As ingoldale wrote, some incidents broke out, partly due it seems to a Montpellier’s historic bâche (banner) stolen last May by some dastardly Nîmes ultras (the "Gladiators") from the very premises of a Montpellier supporters’ club (see here) and that the Gladiators had the brass neck to wave tonight in front of the Montpellier supporters and taunt them with it, which tipped the latter over the edge.

https://twitter.com/TimotheePiron/status/1046451025534742530

https://twitter.com/beinsports_FR/status/1046424972690948096

The Préfecture de l’Hérault was wary of potential incidents and had limited the number of Nîmois authorised inside the stadium to 605, while treating the fixture as a "bubble match" (see here) but they clearly didn’t search the Nîmois well enough, or didn’t realise anyway that they were introducing a potentially explosive banner (in bits) into the stadium.

Comment

Comment

Fuck off ursus

Nope, I don't teach anymore :-) (stopped 2 years ago, it was very bad for my health... I still work in education), so not that rentrée anymore for me thank fuck, well not that sort of rentrée anyway, much more relaxed now, busy but much more relaxed - no kids (I do miss them mind!), no line manager to boss me around with their wads of fresh policies and "exam targets to absolutely hit", no more excel spreadsheets to fill in with "exam predictions" and reasons why etc., no more fucking Ofsted to worry about, no more grovelling emails to write to beg for an extra £100 for vital software or a new class printer as mine's gone a Burton (and be told that I'll have to wait for the new budget next April as the school's skint), no more bending over backwards to please and propitiate some greasy pole climbing manager that the department is "Ofsted-ready" and that "we will deliver the best results since year dot", no more pointless meetings, no budget cuts to have to rack my brains over, no more classes of 35 snotty year 9s who keep bleating "Sir why do we have to study French?", no more hordes to teach the silly past tenses and insane subjonctive to.

Comment

I was trying to celebrate your rentrée, old boy.

Comment

Oh, you mean that rentrée older boy, my own OFT rentrée, chui désolé, j’ai capté tout d’ travers moi.

Sorry, Digarezit ac'hanonon, mo chagren, lo siento, mi dispiace, es tut mir leid, sinto muito, gabh mo leisgeul, мне жаль, أنا آسِف or toutes mes confuses as old-ish gits like me say (a cult phrase for "sorry" from the über-cult film Le Père Noël est une ordure, 1982 – which, incidentally, I don’t like very much).

Comment

[Montpellier-Nîmes crowd disturbances]

The League’s disciplinary committee met today, they’ve adjourned the case (more investigations needed) but imposed two temporary stand closures on Montpellier and have asked clubs to close the visitors section of their stadium when they host Montpellier, for the foreseeable future. They risk being docked points and/or having to play several games behind closed doors, as well as a fine of course. Even if the sentence is suspended it would be a setback for Montpellier, which is a great shame for them as they’ve started the season very well (3rd with 15 points), so yet again a bunch of morons are letting their own club down. Nîmes are also likely to be punished for their part in the incidents.

In other football violence news, Angers vs Guingamp (0-1) was also marred by crowd trouble outside of the Raymond Kopa stadium, mostly after the game. A few Guingamp players and the Guingamp manager were hit by missiles too during the game and a Guingamp supporters’ coach was pelted with stones by Angers ultras, several Guingamp fans were injured as a result (one of them an 11 year-old boy – thankfully his wounds are superficial). This innocuous-sounding Angers<=>Guinguamp (no history between the two, not AFAIK anyhow) seems to be developing into a grudge fixture. There was a big fight outside of the Roudourou (Guingamp) last season before and during the game (at half-time), and about 100 Angers ultras were sent back home there and then by the police.

A sanction from the league followed by an interdiction préfectorale de déplacement (the local Interior ministry representative, the préfet, bans all rival supporters from attending the game, a sort of FBO) will probably follow and hopefully put a stop to this mindless violence.

Comment

Ligue 1 news, in brief.

First win of the season for Guingamp but the Bretons are still propping up the table, with Nantes and Monaco for company in the drop zone.

I can see the Monégasques getting whupped by Dortmund in the CL on Wednesday. Jardim keeps chopping and changing the team and hasn’t been able so far to hit on the right line-up and tactics – not easy to replace the likes of Lemar, Moutinho and Fabinho it has to be said (they bought Golovin as a marquee signing but he sustained an injury about 2 months ago and has hardly played). Radamel Falcao, 39 League goals/55 games + 10 Champions’ League goals in the last 2 seasons, has 3 league goals this term but seems to be a bit à la ramasse – out of sorts – at the mo, has missed quite a few sitters from what I’ve been able to see (admittedly not that much, just the odd highlights).

PSG, 8 league wins in 8 games, equal Lille’s old record (set in 1936) for the best start to a season. PSG will host Lyon next Sunday so it’s not a given that they’ll beat Lille’s record, although Lyon are a little inconsistent this season, they were held to a 1-1 draw at home by struggling Nantes this weekend (the Canaris are second from bottom in the standings with 6 points).

L’Équipe’s "Ligue 1 Team of the weekend" (marks out of 10):

Comment

With only Guingamp keeping them out of the basement, Nantes have parted company with Miguel Cardoso and appointed former club favourite Vahid Halilhodžić as manager.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  From memory they lament the state of French pitches almost yearly in either France Football or L'Équipe.

Comment

With only Guingamp keeping them out of the basement, Nantes have parted company with Miguel Cardoso and appointed former club favourite Vahid Halilhodžić as manager.
                                    Ah, Vahid is back in French football, good, I’m really pleased about that.

https://twitter.com/FCNantes/status/1047111450337189889

A bit unfair for Cardoso to be sacked so early in the season, especially as he was a Ligue 1 newbie and was trying to develop a different style from his recent predecessors (more based on possession), and with about 10 new players it was always going to take a bit of time for the team to gel (not to mention that some of their key midfielders, such as the Argentinian Boschilia – on loan from Monaco – and the Belgian Limbombe, are out injured or out of sorts, such the strikers Coulibaly and Waris who have scored 1 goal between them).

6 points in 8 games too, it’s not that dire and anyway it’s a little insignificant in such a tight championship where most teams are separated by a few points only.

Vahid is the 5th manager in just under 3 years at Nantes, so he might not last long but hopefully it’ll prove a good move for Les Canaris. The players will certainly see a difference from Ranieri’s methods, it’s a little more "musclé" with Vahid shall we say, and Waldermar Kita, the controversial owner since 2007 (now in tandem with his son Franck, not a popular duo...), will certainly have met his match with Vahid, he is cash as the French say, he's a straight talker (Sérgio Conceição, the penultimate Nantes manager before Ranieri, was a bit like that too but more of the nutty sort).

Comment

I always had a soft spot for him (and les Canaris) as well. Here's hoping.

Aulas said that he expects PSG to win the league by 30 points, which is one way of managing expectations for OL.

Comment

Aulas said that he expects PSG to win the league by 30 points, which is one way of managing expectations for OL.
                                        Quite. He must also be wanting to deflect the attention away from some shit or other going at Lyon at the minute (indifferent start to the season too), there's been a few problems this season (and generally last few seasons) with a few groups of ultras, of the extreme-right sort (I've written in the French thread about how various neo-fascist groups, such as Bastion Social, have managed to claim for themselves a few streets in the lovely Vieux Lyon, bars, tattoo parlours, "cultural" centres etc. unfortunately some of these dangerous cunts are Lyon ultras too...), there's been problems very recently in particular vs Marseille at home (4-2) in the stands and in town, despite restrictions on the number of Marseille fans allowed to travel, and Lyon's cards are marked with UEFA following serious incidents in the Euro competitions in the last 2 seasons, so the French ("Parisian") media have commented on these incidents and put the focus on those ultras etc. and Aulas doesn't like it.

Comment

Talking of which (the poor condition of French pitches), it really was pisspoor from the League (LFP) at the end of August to send back 1,000 travelling Sang et Or supporters from Béziers to Lens (600 mile) following the League's awfully late decision to call the game off, a mere 2 hrs before the game FFS (3pm kick-off).

The League really should have managed the situation much more sensibly knowing that many Lens fans were travelling. It should have been plain obvious to them, on Friday evening, after the rugby game played on that pitch, that the match couldn't go ahead, especially with the summer they had in France and that "fungus crisis" affecting pitches. They knew of the rubgy game of course, so the state of the pitch can’t have come as a great surprise to them. Knowing that the pitch was likely to be damaged, the League should have made it a priority to inspect it on Friday evening (it woudl not have passed the inspection) so as to be in a position to inform Lens and consequently save the Sang et Or army that excruciating 1,200 mile round trip by coach. Fucking amateurs. The League did however transfer money to Lens for them to reimburse the cost of the trip to the Lens fans, it was the least they could do.

Actually, I was wondering when that Béziers-Lens had been rearranged for so I’ve just checked and it was played last night, 0-0 (held still at the multipurpose/rugby Stade la Méditerranée, AS Béziers’ Stade de Sauclières didn’t meet the Ligue 2’s standards). 400 Lens supporters made the trip, poor buggers, apparently it was a bit of a dross game.

https://twitter.com/RCLens/status/1046677988551663616

Comment

Originally posted by Pérou Flaquettes View Post
                                            Talking of which (the poor condition of French pitches), it really was pisspoor from the League (LFP) at the end of August to send back 1,000 travelling Sang et Or supporters from Béziers to Lens (600 mile) following the League's awfully late decision to call the game off, a mere 2 hrs before the game FFS (3pm kick-off).

The League really should have managed the situation much more sensibly knowing that many Lens fans were travelling. It should have been plain obvious to them, on Friday evening, after the rugby game played on that pitch, that the match couldn't go ahead, especially with the summer they had in France and that "fungus crisis" affecting pitches. They knew of the rubgy game of course, so the state of the pitch can’t have come as a great surprise to them. Knowing that the pitch was likely to be damaged, the League should have made it a priority to inspect it on Friday evening (it woudl not have passed the inspection) so as to be in a position to inform Lens and consequently save the Sang et Or army that excruciating 1,200 mile round trip by coach. Fucking amateurs. The League did however transfer money to Lens for them to reimburse the cost of the trip to the Lens fans, it was the least they could do.

Actually, I was wondering when that Béziers-Lens had been rearranged for so I’ve just checked and it was played last night, 0-0 (held still at the multipurpose/rugby Stade la Méditerranée, AS Béziers’ Stade de Sauclières didn’t meet the Ligue 2’s standards). 400 Lens supporters made the trip, poor buggers, apparently it was a bit of a dross game.

https://twitter.com/RCLens/status/1046677988551663616
                                            Incredible numbers for France.

Comment

For Ligue 2, these numbers are huge indeed (especially on a Tuesday eve) but we’re talking about Lens here, so not exactly your average Ligue 2 club (over the last 10 yrs, the average attendance in Ligue 2 is 7,000 vs 30,000 for Lens so far this season).

But plenty of travelling supporters in the big Ligue 1 clubs (of a similar size to Lens), although obviously nowhere near on the same scale as in England or Germany*.

One big hurdle these last few years for travelling supporters in French football is that it’s become "fashionable" and hasty for the authorities to ban supporters en masse from travelling through arrêtés, decrees/orders (either via an arrêté préfectoral, a departmental order or via an arrêté municipal, a municipal by-law in England & Wales/a city ordinance in the US I think), so not through court or judicial decisions but purely from rulings that emanate either from the préfet, the representative of the Interior ministry in a department, or from local mayors and that can be therefore seen as arbitrary (these arrêtés can however be ruled illegal later by a court of law, in this case the Conseil d’État, ordinary citizens/supporters’ associations etc. can refer the matter to this Conseil d’État).

There’s been a worrying increase of those barely legal blanket bans that target everybody instead of the few fuckwits who caused the problems in the first place. Football supporters don’t generally have a good name so a) this issue is rarely mentioned in the media b) all supporters end up being tarred with the same brush by the general public so there’s little support for the majority of decent fans who want to follow their club away and get hit by that collective FBO.

This is regularly denounced in the quality French football media, particularly the one I used to write for, Les Cahiers du Football. This lawyer for instance, Pierre Barthélémy, is very active on this front, https://twitter.com/pierre_b_y?lang=en, also: BOULOGNE BOYS, AUTHENTIKS... PIERRE BARTHÉLEMY DÉFEND LES PESTIFÉRÉS DU PARC, L'AVOCAT DES ULTRAS DU PSG

Barthélémy, who has written many articles in Les Cahiers on this particular topic, is a PSG supporter in his late thirties who defends, pro bono, PSG supporters caught in a justice system that neither understands football very well nor the supporters’ culture and even less naturally the many nuances within fandom. So what you have is too many overzealous judges, procureurs (~Crown Prosecution Service lawyers) and avocats généraux (~public prosecutors) who can be overly repressive towards supporters in general, especially against the Ultras, whereas of course, many ultras are not brainless morons hell bent on violence, far from it.

Football : "c'est devenu la mode" de prendre des arrêtés d'interdiction de déplacement des supporteurs

[*Not 100% sure about Germany, so I need a Bundesliga expert’s help here. How many fans would an average club like, say Hertha Berlin, take to Bremen – 400 kms away – or Munich, 600 kms away for instance? Is it in the 100s or 1000s?]
                                              Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 03-10-2018, 21:19.

Comment

Actually, if you click on Barthélémy's twitter feed, there's clips of the violence tonight around the Parc (well, one clip, I didn't even know there'd been problems there tonight)

https://twitter.com/pierre_b_y?lang=en
                                                Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 03-10-2018, 21:25.

Comment

The Bundesliga requires that away fans be allocated at least 10 percent of the cheapest category of tickets available to home supporters. That usually means between 1,000 and 2,000 at all but the smallest grounds.

Comment

Thanks ursus, it's a very good system.

A pioneer passed away on Monday, at only 54: Marianne Mako, the first female football presenter on French national TV (on TF1, 1987-1997) and a true pioneer of the feminisation of sports journalism in France.

RIP Marianne, you were a trailblazer and a damn good presenter-interviewer. You were very knowledgeable and had a real passion for football that you managed to convey superbly. You were a breath of fresh air in the somewhat misogynistic atmosphere of the time at TF1 sports, especially from your bosses ("machist" would be the term used then, we'd say "toxic masculinity" now). You were a free spirit and one of the best, this is precisely why far less talented individuals than yourself were so wary of you and precipitated your sacking from TF1 in 1997. Your cheeky interviews in dressing-rooms full of naked players and embarrassed coaches are legendary!

https://twitter.com/BixeLizarazu/status/1046801419532193794
                                                    Happy days… Here with some of the TF1 football journo & pundits team in the early 1990s (Jean-Pierre Papin in the centre with Saint-Étienne legend Jean-Michel Larqué to her left).

Marianne Mako interviewing (a fully dressed, alas) Chris Waddle.
                                                    Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 03-10-2018, 22:15.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X