FAO Toby Gymshorts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAO Toby Gymshorts

Last edited by Bruno; 16-07-2018, 23:05.

Heh! I have seen that (and loved it) before, but thank you for thinking of me. It's a great piece of work.

Comment

Rush are above nothing for laughs at their live shows. But, alas, they are no more.

Comment

Nah. A guy named Garren Lazar does this with all kinds of bands, Pink Floyd included, and always using Peanuts characters.

Comment

I'm still not over Rush being finished. Genuinely.

Comment

Lee and Lifeson are working on something together, but...meh. Victor...you know?

Comment

*nods* I know.

Comment

Top 5 Rush? I'll need some time on this one, I feel.

Comment

I have to admit that Clockwork Angels was a much more enjoyable album than I was anticipating, but I'm not sure anything off of it would crack the top 10. (I even read the accompanying novel.)

But in no particular order...

La Villa Stangiato (Time Machine Tour Live version)
                  Camera Eye
                  Limelight
                  Tom Sawyer
                  YYZ
                  A Passage To Bangkok (Exit live version)
                  Spirit of Radio
                  Time Stand Still
                  New World Man
                  Closer to The Heart (Exit live version)

Toby's will no doubt feature deeper cuts.

Comment

I'm still thinking about this. It's a bit like Deep Thought in H2G2, only not at all like that.

Comment

You're going to come up with a bunch of beardy stuff from b-sides I've never heard of, and I'll end up looking like the guy caught with Rick Astley's Greatest Hits.

Comment

Nah. I'm fond of a lot of the early stuff is all, and I'm wondering where Garden Road fits in.

Comment

Plus: see my personal text. Best I Can is another banger.

Argh. This is too hard.

Comment

Right. I'm giving this a go, with the caveat that this will change within hours. Here goes nothing.

1. YYZ

I maintain that the Middle Eastern influenced solo, with its strange legato and phrasing, remains one of the single best things Alex Lifeson has ever done. You have no idea how much I wanted (and still want) to be a quarter of the guitarist Lerxst is. I will also admit that I will be retaining my Toronto Pearson luggage tags, because that's exactly how sad I am.

2. A Farewell to Kings

Possibly a little leftfield this one, but AFTK reamins one of my favourite Rush albums (with the exception of Madrigal, which gets skipped every time, heresy that it may be). Like a lot of Peart's lyrical work (all the Rayndian shite aside), it's remarkably prescient. It made a huge impression on young TG.

We turned our gaze from the castles in the distance
                            Eyes cast down on the path of least resistance

Cities full of hatred, fear and lies
                            Withered hearts and cruel, tormented eyes
                            Scheming demons cast in Kingly guise
                            Beating down the multitude and
                            Scoffing at the wise

3. Driven

I love it when Rush get heavy. Great, driving (obviously) riff, off-kilter time signature. It's all there.

4. Fly By Night

If ever a song summed up what it meant for a teenager (a few years removed from Neil, it's true) being stuck in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere, it was this. The thought that I could go anywhere and be anything was intoxicating. It still is.

5. Circumstances

I love it when Rush get heavy. Plus it has Geddy singing in French! French was just a boring language I was forced into learning at school. Not any more.

6. Tom Sawyer

Obviously.

7. Natural Science

There are times when a song completely matches your surroundings. I'd not long been living in London, and was still slightly overwhelmed, when on the way home from work the sounds of the ripples and waves coincided perfectly with the start of a deluge which soaked me to the skin.

A simple kind mirror
                            To reflect upon our own
                            All the busy little creatures
                            Chasing out their destinies
                            Living in their pools
                            They soon forget about the sea

8. The Pass

A cheery song about teenage suicide. But one with an underlying message of hope. You're stronger than this, you always were, and always will be.

9. Working Man

I'm not even going to insult your intelligence.

10. La Villa Strangiato

Subtitle: "An exercise in self-indugence". It's fantastic. All of it.

So that's ten. I'm not sure it's at all accurate. I'll be back with another ten in fairly short order, I imagine. Including Garden Road, so help me.

PRE-POST EDIT: I had video links for each song, but apparently I can only have three per post. So I've gone with the top three because reasons.
                            Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 19-07-2018, 21:52.

Comment

Yeah...see...just making names up. I knew it.

Comment

I'm already arguing with myself about leaving things out.

Comment

I genuinely don't think I'd recognise a Rush song if it spanked my ball bag and called me Horatio.

Comment

Once you've heard one you've heard them all

(Not really true. But when you've heard the strained high pitched tones of Geddy Lee on one song, you'd instantly recognise any subsequent encounter as being Rush)

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                      Right. I'm giving this a go, with the caveat that this will change within hours. Here goes nothing.

1. YYZ

I maintain that the Middle Eastern influenced solo, with its strange legato and phrasing, remains one of the single best things Alex Lifeson has ever done. You have no idea how much I wanted (and still want) to be a quarter of the guitarist Lerxst is. I will also admit that I will be retaining my Toronto Pearson luggage tags, because that's exactly how sad I am.

2. A Farewell to Kings

Possibly a little leftfield this one, but AFTK reamins one of my favourite Rush albums (with the exception of Madrigal, which gets skipped every time, heresy that it may be). Like a lot of Peart's lyrical work (all the Rayndian shite aside), it's remarkably prescient. It made a huge impression on young TG.

We turned our gaze from the castles in the distance
                                      Eyes cast down on the path of least resistance

Cities full of hatred, fear and lies
                                      Withered hearts and cruel, tormented eyes
                                      Scheming demons cast in Kingly guise
                                      Beating down the multitude and
                                      Scoffing at the wise

3. Driven

I love it when Rush get heavy. Great, driving (obviously) riff, off-kilter time signature. It's all there.

4. Fly By Night

If ever a song summed up what it meant for a teenager (a few years removed from Neil, it's true) being stuck in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere, it was this. The thought that I could go anywhere and be anything was intoxicating. It still is.

5. Circumstances

I love it when Rush get heavy. Plus it has Geddy singing in French! French was just a boring language I was forced into learning at school. Not any more.

6. Tom Sawyer

Obviously.

7. Natural Science

There are times when a song completely matches your surroundings. I'd not long been living in London, and was still slightly overwhelmed, when on the way home from work the sounds of the ripples and waves coincided perfectly with the start of a deluge which soaked me to the skin.

A simple kind mirror
                                      To reflect upon our own
                                      All the busy little creatures
                                      Chasing out their destinies
                                      Living in their pools
                                      They soon forget about the sea

8. The Pass

A cheery song about teenage suicide. But one with an underlying message of hope. You're stronger than this, you always were, and always will be.

9. Working Man

I'm not even going to insult your intelligence.

10. La Villa Strangiato

Subtitle: "An exercise in self-indugence". It's fantastic. All of it.

So that's ten. I'm not sure it's at all accurate. I'll be back with another ten in fairly short order, I imagine. Including Garden Road, so help me.

PRE-POST EDIT: I had video links for each song, but apparently I can only have three per post. So I've gone with the top three because reasons.
                                      Fine post TG, and I feel your pain trying to come up with your favourite ten of your favourite band.

Just in passing, in the first proper covers band I played in (I was very fortunate to grow up in an extraordinary musical environment, in that a lot of people in my part of east London were into and played, and had an outlet for, music - from old jazzers to punks, new-wavers to proggers), we did YYZ; my then-flatmate was the best musician I've personally known/played with, and he did a pretty good approximation of the solo in YYZ. I could cope with all of the drum track, except that first roll in the breakdown. Still can't get it, the fucker. Nice to hear it again though.

Anyhow, I think I can still do the rest, so if you need somebody to play along with...

As you were.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, john. Two things:

1) You would definitely be disappointed in my musicianship and
                                        2) I already disagree with - if not the selections - their relative place in the 10. Oh, and there's no Garden Road.

So:

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
                                          Well no, you'd be too distracted and Geddy.
                                          Fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                          X