Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you could lose that "at most".

Comment

Broad's average is 28.80; great is usually below 25 with some exceptions like Botham and Thommo who had long declines. Broad's average has never been sub-27 AFAIK.

Jimmy is a great at home, good away; the sub-25s were always great both home and away.

Comment

Jimmy's career average in 2014 was still over 30 - it was only in the India series that summer that it dropped below 30, never to return. In the last three summers (and winters) he's reduced that average from over 29 to under 27 as of this test match - data here. If he carries on for another two years it's not inconceivable he could get it under 25.

Comment

Something that's struck me from England's summers in the past few years is the relative records of Pakistan and India here recently. Pakistan of course won the ICC Champions Trophy after defeating both England and India. And they've drawn two Test series, 2-2 and 1-1.

In short, Pakistan are a better team in England than India are.

Comment

Hassan Cheema noted how much more preparation Pakistan have made prior to touring England - including one season using the Duke ball for all first class cricket, as well as extra warm-up games.

I actually think this is the best bowling attack India have ever brought to England. It's just a shame they are accompanied by a plethora of batsmen who don't appear able to play a moving ball.

Comment

As for Jimmy Anderson, it was noted in the Guardian's OBO that his last 405 wickets have been at a very low average (I don't remember what exactly, but certainly sub 25). If Botham and Thompson get a pass for a long decline, then Anderson could certainly get one for a slow introduction.

As he looks certain to become the seam bowler with the greatest number of wickets ever, I don't think we can query "great" even if he's not been as effective abroad.

Comment

This decade he has 405 wickets at 23.90. Only Steyn and Philander have lower averages among the bowlers with over 200 wickets

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=bowling

Away from home it is 130 at 30.26 this decade, which is not great but very good given that he will have been bowling on roads much of the time:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=bowling

Notably, 53 of his 96 Tests in that time have been played at home, which puts him at an advantage. 7 home Tests a year, averaging 4-5 wickets a Test, plus 4-6 away Tests, gives him 50 wickets a year on average. Obviously he earns them but he gets the opportunity to play a volume of Tests no non-Englishman does. In the decade, Jimmy and Broad have each played 96 Tests. Next on the list among seam bowlers are Morkel on 67 and Ishant on 65.

Home Tests 2010-2018 are even more of a disparity: Broad 55, Anderson 53, Morkel 34, Philander 29, Southee 29, Steyn 27
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 13-08-2018, 22:08.

Comment

Dropping Curran and not Buttler seems perverse.

India have picked some one day wonderkid called Pant as wicketkeeper

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    Dropping Curran and not Buttler seems perverse.
                    I don't think Stokes should be in the team. Besides all the fall-out from the Bristol incident, there's a strong case for saying he shouldn't be there for purely cricketing reasons. For a start, he wouldn't have been able to 'win the Edgbaston test for England' if Curran's 64 hadn't given England some sort of target to bowl at.

I like listening to Mark Butcher about Buttler ; he says Buttler 'has to play' and 'has to bat at 7' but also 'has to keep wicket'. If he doesn't keep wicket and he fails with the bat, as a player like him inevitably will on occasion, he's giving the team nothing. In turn, Bairstow should be asked, no, told, to bat at 4 for the good of the team, rather than being allowed to bat lower down and keep the gloves because it makes him feel good about himself. That would mean youngsters like Ollie Pope could bat in a position that more reflects the fact that they're newcomers in need of bedding in.

Comment

Wait, they are starting a Test on a Saturday?

Comment

Because there has to be a minimum of three rest days between the scheduled last day of the previous test and the start of the next one. ICC rules.

Indian batsmen concentrating visibly, playing late and playing within the width of their body. That said, England should stop dicking around and get Woakes on.

Comment

See? Told ya

Comment

India have finally put up a good batting display. Dropping Curran is odd. Why change a winning team?

Comment

Look Trent Bridge, you might be my favourite cricket ground, but putting that glass monstrosity on top of the Radcliffe Road stand is not on.

Comment

I like listening to Mark Butcher about Buttler ; he says Buttler 'has to play' and 'has to bat at 7' but also 'has to keep wicket'. If he doesn't keep wicket and he fails with the bat, as a player like him inevitably will on occasion, he's giving the team nothing. In turn, Bairstow should be asked, no, told, to bat at 4 for the good of the team, rather than being allowed to bat lower down and keep the gloves because it makes him feel good about himself. That would mean youngsters like Ollie Pope could bat in a position that more reflects the fact that they're newcomers in need of bedding in.
                                Agree with all of this word for word. Bairstow needs to be told, firstly, it's time for him to bat at four, and secondly, him batting lower and persisting in keeping over Buttler is compromising team planning in the longterm. I can't remember the last time that slots five and six were around for a younger player to feel their way into the team. Even someone like Haseeb Hameed could have been tried at five if Bairstow wasn't hogging it.

Comment

Isn’t Baistow Root’s best mate? That and Stokes being parachuted back in for Curran smack of complete cronyism.

Comment

Why is it that it's perceived as impossible to keep wicket and bat at 4?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                      Isn’t Baistow Root’s best mate? That and Stokes being parachuted back in for Curran smack of complete cronyism.
                                      On the flip side as far as we can tell, Root can't stand Rashid which makes his selection even odder.

Hopefully in the next match they'll rest Broad and bring Curran back

Comment

Bairstow has scored 5 test centuries as the designated keeper (and a 99), every single one of them in the first innings of a match. Wicket keeping is incredibly draining, even batting lower down the order. I'm not sure why, but it clearly is.

Comment

With England being the way they are, there’s always a strong chance Bairstow could be in at four within the first 15 minutes of an innings, having been in the field for two days previous. Not enough time to mentally prepare.

On the physical side of keeping, I imagine doing 500 squats in a single day is draining on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                            Wicket keeping is incredibly draining, even batting lower down the order. I'm not sure why, but it clearly is
                                            It's a game of hundreds of successive set-pieces. Yesterday there were 523, Bairstow as keeper involved in every one in a way that the guy fielding at third man or fine leg isn't.

Agreed that YJB should bat at #4 with Buttler keeping.
                                            Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 19-08-2018, 11:12.

Comment

Thanks all. That makes sense.

Comment

England lose both openers in successive balls. Reasonable start ruined

Comment

Not sure what’s gone wrong here - decent bowling and inadequate application by England I guess - but England struggling to get past the follow on target

Comment

They did that, but eventually totaled less than half of what India managed. It's now a chance for the Indian batsmen to fill their boots.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X