Holy Kohli: India in England Summer 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Kohli: India in England Summer 2018

The bookies have England as slight favourites in the Test series that starts on August 1st:

https://www.oddschecker.com/cricket/.../series-winner

I would reverse that. Although India have under-performed in England of late, it seems to me that India's current superiority in class could outweigh home advantage this year, especially as there are five Tests which would allow India to overcome a slow start.

Agreed. I think India really, really want it this time. Part of the reason Kohli is so good for cricket is that he takes Test cricket (too) seriously.

Comment

Agreed, I'm looking forward to Lord's- there on Thu and Sat. India to win 3-2

Comment

Deciding ODI today. India with a slow run rate so far but the weather looks a relatively cloudy so I wonder if that's having an effect?

Comment

Dhawan goes, 89/2 (18/50).

Comment

A definite increase in the run rate.

Comment

Karthik gone, but Kohli still there, 125/3.

Comment

Kohli gone, I've not seen it but apparently Rashid has bowled the ball of his life for that one.

Comment

It was a beauty, Kohli's look of shock was priceless.

Comment

Dhoni and India now on a go slow as at Lord's.

Comment

The commentator's pronunciation of Indian player Thukur briefly caused me some angst there.

Comment

Great little series. Well done England.

Comment

Here's the Kohli wicket. My word.
                          https://twitter.com/manutdxtra/statu...00784159313921
                          https://twitter.com/manutdxtra/status/1019300784159313921

Comment

He could still have a role in the Test side.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              He should still have a role in the Test side.
                              Fixed that for you Satchmo

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                He does still have a role in the Test side.
                                Fixed that for you foxy.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-ashes-cricket

Comment

So both Rashid and Buttler have forced their way into the test side based solely on white ball form. That will surely encourage a few more to sign white ball contracts as it's a route to success not a sideshow.
                                  Meanwhile England have scheduled a 4 day test match for next summer (v Ireland). Which makes sense, most tests now seem to be settled in 3-4 days, and a Thursday-Sunday schedule is better for spectators.

Comment

If they play 98 overs (and if the rules insist all the overs must be bowled, no matter how late it finishes), they are only 58 short of the 450 of a 5 day Test. A guaranteed 98 might also encourage the promotion of spinners and 5 bowler attacks.

Comment

SQUAD! to face India at Edgbaston:

Joe Root (Yorkshire)
                                      Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)
                                      Jimmy Anderson (Lancashire)
                                      Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire) wicketkeeper
                                      Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
                                      Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
                                      Alastair Cook (Essex)
                                      Sam Curran (Surrey)
                                      Keaton Jennings (Lancashire)
                                      Dawid Malan (Middlesex)
                                      Jamie Porter (Essex)
                                      Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
                                      Ben Stokes (Durham)

Comment

So, they've dropped Dom Bess because he's not playing Championship cricket but they've picked Rashid, then. WTF? I also guess the selectors have never heard the loud groan that goes round Headingley when he bowls some right filth that gets clattered to the boundary.

Comment

So Rashid has given up playing normal cricket for Yorkshire but still gets picked for the test side? It's an odd world and no mistake

Comment

Anyone know or think whether he wants to play red ball cricket for England? I have no idea whether to question Yorkshire, England or Rashid on this, or all of the above.

Comment

As Fred would have said: "I'm nonplussed"

Comment

While we’re all pondering this this is a lovely video (as is the follow up) of Adil Rashid and Moeen Ali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8DVoSKHP2U
                                                Last edited by diggedy derek; 26-07-2018, 22:08.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                                  Anyone know or think whether he wants to play red ball cricket for England? I have no idea whether to question Yorkshire, England or Rashid on this, or all of the above.
                                                  Wouldn't the selectors have asked him before naming him?

Playing devil's advocate, a lot of championship games are played early season, which is unfriendly to leg spinners. 50 overs cricket allows him to get more economic, less wasteful, which has been a problem in Tests.

But really, that is bollocks. Four day cricket was designed to be Test preparation and 50 overs cannot replicate Test conditions. It's like training for 10,000 metres by running 800m races every week.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X