• Show
Clear All

Crikey.

Comment

Holy Moly Kohli.

Comment

3 wickets in six balls...

Comment

Broad gets Kohli, which Anderson would probably have been devastated about.

Comment

Cook surely won't want a bowl. He currently has a bowling average of 7.00, which on the narrowest and most technical reading of these things would make him the greatest all rounder ever.

Comment

If they could get to tea without losing another wicket, all four results might be possible in the last session. Think about Jadeja coming in with a hundred left to get.
              Last edited by diggedy derek; 11-09-2018, 13:04.

Comment

This partnership is motoring now. If only England had a part-time medium pacer with a sparkling bowling average.

Comment

Haha. It won't happen, will it, surely??

Comment

Pant's off. Back to the pavilion at last, caught Moeen bowled Rashid for 114 – shortly after the crucial wicket of Rahul went to a magical "Warne-like" ball from Rashid, for 149, to end a 6th-wicket partnership of 204.

After a slightly hairy-looking spell there this now looks like England's game again: 3 wickets to take in 23 overs, whereas India still need 140-odd for a world record chase.
                    Last edited by Various Artist; 11-09-2018, 16:16.

Comment

I hope all those people who whined about England batting an extra few overs for an extra bunch of runs yesterday are feeling particularly contrite. I, for one, am glad about the lack of extra time in the match, and the extra cushion those runs provide.

Comment

Just seen the Rahul wicket. Holy shit

Comment

Me too, and yes – a good two feet outside of leg stump that must've pitched, amazing stuff.

And that's the 8th wicket down. Sharma on his way back too, caught Bairstow off Curran. 336-8, 128 still needed to win in, what, 14 overs?

Comment

And Jadeja goes in just the same way for the addition of 9 more runs. Shami at the crease, Anderson with the ball and practically salivating at the prospect of breaking McGrath's record with the last wicket.

Comment

Hahah, and there he goes! Anderson's done it, Shami bowled for 0 and India all out for a heroic 345. England win by 118 runs after all that.

Last four wickets fell for 20. Twenty four and a half hours it took Jimmy to go from equalling the record to finally breaking it, though.
                              Last edited by Various Artist; 11-09-2018, 16:34.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                I hope all those people who whined about England batting an extra few overs for an extra bunch of runs yesterday are feeling particularly contrite. I, for one, am glad about the lack of extra time in the match, and the extra cushion those runs provide.
                                Agree with this - pundits & commentators are often the worst. It happens every time England are in a position to declare, the bleating often begins before the lead is 400.

Anyway, great for Jimmy to get over the line today rather than have to wait until the winter tours. I'll be fascinated to see how many more he can add.

Comment

Agreed on pundits and declarations – puffed-up bravado from behind the glass of the commentary box. These days, the difficulty teams seem to find in batting out a draw for a long period of time, allied with the capacity for teams to occasionally score big in the fourth innings, should perhaps encourage even bigger declarations, knowing you may not need as much time as you used to bowl a team out, and that progressively bigger targets might be needed if you want to avoid a loss. I guess there's a third factor here, which is how quickly teams can now score runs towards the end of the third innings; if you have Stokes and Buttler at the crease, say, you know in a mere half an hour they can easily add another 60 or 70 runs. In the end, that proved crucial in this game.

Comment

Would have been a bigger issue if England needed the win and India just needed the draw, I guess. It used to be the case that you always bat the opposition out of the game, not give them a carrot.

Comment

I thought the commentators were harsh on young Pant. He kept slogging after tea and duly got out- but his runs earlier gave the chance of a freak victory. Top entertainment. After he and Rahul went, there was still a chance Jadeja and the tail could block out 20 or 25 overs for what would still have been a worthwhile draw.

Comment

Working...
                                      X