Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Teams
    Middlesbrough
    Crikey.

Holy Moly Kohli.

3 wickets in six balls...

Broad gets Kohli, which Anderson would probably have been devastated about.

he do the police in different voices
    Teams
    Southampton, Hampshire CCC
    Biscuit
    None
    Actor
    Either Kate Bush or John McDonnell
    Cook surely won't want a bowl. He currently has a bowling average of 7.00, which on the narrowest and most technical reading of these things would make him the greatest all rounder ever.

If they could get to tea without losing another wicket, all four results might be possible in the last session. Think about Jadeja coming in with a hundred left to get.
    Last edited by diggedy derek; 11-09-2018 at 14:04.

This partnership is motoring now. If only England had a part-time medium pacer with a sparkling bowling average.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    Teams
    Norwich City
    Biscuit
    Dark choc Hobnob
    Haha. It won't happen, will it, surely??

Teams
    Norwich City
    Biscuit
    Dark choc Hobnob
    Pant's off. Back to the pavilion at last, caught Moeen bowled Rashid for 114 – shortly after the crucial wicket of Rahul went to a magical "Warne-like" ball from Rashid, for 149, to end a 6th-wicket partnership of 204.

After a slightly hairy-looking spell there this now looks like England's game again: 3 wickets to take in 23 overs, whereas India still need 140-odd for a world record chase.
    Last edited by Various Artist; 11-09-2018 at 17:16.

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Petit Ecolier (milk chocolate)
    I hope all those people who whined about England batting an extra few overs for an extra bunch of runs yesterday are feeling particularly contrite. I, for one, am glad about the lack of extra time in the match, and the extra cushion those runs provide.

Teams
    Sheffield Wednesday, FK Csikszereda Women's U18 team, AFC Csiki Monkeys
    Biscuit
    Ginger nuts
    Just seen the Rahul wicket. Holy shit

Teams
    Norwich City
    Biscuit
    Dark choc Hobnob
    Me too, and yes – a good two feet outside of leg stump that must've pitched, amazing stuff.

And that's the 8th wicket down. Sharma on his way back too, caught Bairstow off Curran. 336-8, 128 still needed to win in, what, 14 overs?

Teams
    Norwich City
    Biscuit
    Dark choc Hobnob
    And Jadeja goes in just the same way for the addition of 9 more runs. Shami at the crease, Anderson with the ball and practically salivating at the prospect of breaking McGrath's record with the last wicket.

Teams
    Norwich City
    Biscuit
    Dark choc Hobnob
    Hahah, and there he goes! Anderson's done it, Shami bowled for 0 and India all out for a heroic 345. England win by 118 runs after all that.

Last four wickets fell for 20. Twenty four and a half hours it took Jimmy to go from equalling the record to finally breaking it, though.
    Last edited by Various Artist; 11-09-2018 at 17:34.

We plow and sow and reap and mow
    Teams
    Brighton
    Biscuit
    Chocolate hobnob
    Quote Originally Posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    I hope all those people who whined about England batting an extra few overs for an extra bunch of runs yesterday are feeling particularly contrite. I, for one, am glad about the lack of extra time in the match, and the extra cushion those runs provide.
    Agree with this - pundits & commentators are often the worst. It happens every time England are in a position to declare, the bleating often begins before the lead is 400.

Anyway, great for Jimmy to get over the line today rather than have to wait until the winter tours. I'll be fascinated to see how many more he can add.

Agreed on pundits and declarations – puffed-up bravado from behind the glass of the commentary box. These days, the difficulty teams seem to find in batting out a draw for a long period of time, allied with the capacity for teams to occasionally score big in the fourth innings, should perhaps encourage even bigger declarations, knowing you may not need as much time as you used to bowl a team out, and that progressively bigger targets might be needed if you want to avoid a loss. I guess there's a third factor here, which is how quickly teams can now score runs towards the end of the third innings; if you have Stokes and Buttler at the crease, say, you know in a mere half an hour they can easily add another 60 or 70 runs. In the end, that proved crucial in this game.

If you can't say anything nice...
    Teams
    Barnsley
    Biscuit
    Club
    Actor
    Peter Lorre
    Would have been a bigger issue if England needed the win and India just needed the draw, I guess. It used to be the case that you always bat the opposition out of the game, not give them a carrot.

НА ФИНЛЯНД ВOKЗАЛ
    Teams
    С. Ирландия ИТД
    Biscuit
    пряники
    Actor
    Станисла́вский
    I thought the commentators were harsh on young Pant. He kept slogging after tea and duly got out- but his runs earlier gave the chance of a freak victory. Top entertainment. After he and Rahul went, there was still a chance Jadeja and the tail could block out 20 or 25 overs for what would still have been a worthwhile draw.