Open wide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open wide

It feels like a real pinsticker's Open championship this year. Almost all the world's top twenty have had flashes of form in recent weeks, notably Francesco Molinari, Alex Noren, Tyrell Hatton, Justin Rose and Rickie Fowler. Brooks Koepka and Tommy Fleetwood (the course record holder around Carnoustie) were the last men standing at the US Open. Even Ian Poulter and Tiger Woods have been playing solidly, and among the Americans you can look to Jordan Spieth, Patrick Reed and Dustin Johnson as solid each way bets. This year's Unknown Yank, for GO, could be Tony Finau, who's been top ten in both 2018 majors.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 16-07-2018, 11:34.

Oooh, it's Carnoustie! Are we in for another playoff?

Comment

Tee times are out and all the morning marquee groups tee off after 10am not 9am as had become the tradition. I was going to blame that on Sky but I went last year and the airport style security gates that I guess they sadly have to employ were causing horrendous queues compared to previous years. Took us almost an hour to get from the back of the queue onto the course. I reckon the R&A have responded to complaints in planning this year.

Comment

I've got my money on Kooch ew as usual.

Because of the dry, long playing conditions, I think it will give the shorter, careful, hitters a bit of an advantage. People like Oosthuizen and Zach Johnson could come into it. So I've got a couple of Euros ew on the latter at 66-1as well.

Apparently the rough is very lenient so it could just be that the power hitters will tear up the course and my theory with it.

Comment

Padraig Harrington is regularly on Irish media telling everyone his games not far off and he'll be challenging for trophies again,the Open organisers don't have the same faith,putting him with Tom Watson in the heritage grouping so everyone can get nostalgic and politely applaud as they try to stay in single figures under par

Comment

Sorry,meant single figures over par

Comment

Forget what I just said,he's actually with Bubba Watson,I still have faith in you Padraig!

Comment

I went with my tip for Gangster Octopus and Finau the unknown yank is 4 under, one off the lead. Kisner led the PGA last year and was overtaken by Thomas, Molinari, Oosthuizen and Reed, so if there's anything about certain types of player all finding themselves on the same leaderboards each time (think Janzen and Stewart) then keep an eye on those five.

Comment

That was a cracking day's golf.

-9: Spieth, Schauffele, Kisner
                  -7: Chappell
                  -6: Molinari
                  -5: Woods, Simpson, Noren, Kuchar, McIlroy, Fleetwood, Z Johnson
                  -4: Rose, Cook, Scott, Hoffman, Lombard, Finau, van Rooyen

If Tony Finau could putt he'd be way in the lead.

Comment

I backed Rickie Fowler each way this morning, who was hovering around the top 10. He shor 73 and dropped like a stone. Thanks Rickie.
                    Molinari looks interesting, great round today slightly overshadowed by Rose and Woods.

Comment

Zach's not dead yet. Or is he just playing with my heart?

Apart from last year, when he was the Saturday night leader, you rarely see Kuchar on the TV until around the 17th/ 18th when he makes his almost inevitable, stealthy way up to the each way places.

This should be a bit different today as he's paired with Mcilroy.

Comment

Want: Fleetwood, and will be cheering on Tiger if Tommy drops away.

Expects: Spieth to pull clear, then do his best to cock it up over the closing holes, handing it back to McIlroy or Johnson.

Comment

Just had a bit of this on 5Live. Why are the commentators whispering? Lads, you're in a commentary box, not stood next to the players. Stop whispering. It sounds stupid.

Comment

Woods currently course leader at -7.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumpo View Post
                              Just had a bit of this on 5Live. Why are the commentators whispering? Lads, you're in a commentary box, not stood next to the players. Stop whispering. It sounds stupid.
                              I've heard that before and wondered why they do that. Do they have reporters following the players around? Certainly no danger of that on Sky Sports, where the excitement is building.

Comment

US networks will have half a dozen or more commentators on the course.

Comment

This is almost certain to go to a playoff

Comment

Just turned it on...gotta go for Molinari

Comment

Birdies the last, finishes -8. Would be the first Italian to win the Open apparently.

Comment

First Italian to win a major.

This is a huge thing for the fewer than 1,000 Italians who care about golf.

Comment

Baldovino Dassu is doubtless very happy.

Comment

BBC's second question to Molinari manages to shoehorn in a mention of Tiger fucking Woods!

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                              Molinari looks interesting, great round today slightly overshadowed by Rose and Woods.
                                              Fantastico!

Being the mug punter I am, I had a bit of Molinari at 14/1 earlier on. Woof. Proves that thing about stopped clocks, Sun shining on dog's arses etc.

Comment

Just heard theyre off to the Causeway Coast next year. Worth seeing not worth going to see etc

Comment

Working...
                                                X