So Paraguay Then...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Paraguay Then...

I got a job at the American School in Paraguay.

I'm leaving in an hour.

See you in Roberto Cabaņas / Julio Caesar Romero / Jose Luis Chilavert / Roque Santa Cruz Land.

Wow. Bloody hell. That's unexpected

Best of luck. The family are going with you?

Comment

I know I speak for others when I write that I hope you post a lot more with your stories from down there. Hope it's a stress-free move as you can have.

Comment

Yeah, ad hoc.

They're coming in two weeks.

I hope so too, Inca.

Comment

Good luck man.

Comment

Wow - that is so cool and great that you are going for it!

Paraguay will always mean Roberto Cabanas and this amazing goal against Tulsa.

Comment

Brilliant! I don't think I know anyone who's been to Paraguay. For me it's a land of dodgy Englishmen in crumpled white suits (probably played by Alec Guinness) and even shadier blue chinned mid-Europeans with histories you'd rather not know. I'm sure it's not like that, and probably never was, but the noiresque romanticism lingers.

Comment

Don't Paraguay have a national anthem that sounds like something written by Gillbert and Sulliven? Or is that Uruguay?

Comment

I read a book about Stroessner once. Even among Latin American dictators he was a stand out figure in terms of utter fucking awfulness.

Comment

I'm always delighted by how international OTF is, but even by OTF standards this is pretty damned cool (maybe second place to ad hoc's Micronesian adventures). As others have said, I'm desperately hoping for fascinating tales from Asuncion (or wherever you end up).

Comment

Congrats, Jason - will be fascinating to hear your reports. The half-Irish wife of the Paraguayan president, Eliza Lynch, is one of the more intriguing characters in that country's history, not to mention the two-century spell of Jesuit rule.

Comment

I have just checked and it is Paraguay who have a Gilbert and Sullivan national anthem Worth listening to there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKiBSoRRbi4

Comment

Wow, what an opportunity! Pity that now I'll have to postpone my intended holiday in New Jersey. Should I cancel it forever, or will you be back at some point? In other words: is your move permanent or on time-limited contract?

Comment

Well that sounds pretty damned awesome.

Comment

Awesome opportunity, jv, and one which I am confident you will make the most of.

I very much look forward to your stories of Hangin’ with Chilavert

Comment

Looking for something else and came across this thread. I knew about jv's move already because I'm special, but hope it's gone/going smoothly, jv, and look forward to meeting you when you get the time for a short hop down here ...

Comment

Sorry for the delay, no internet and all that.

Yes Sam, the rumors about those players are absolutely true. My daughter is in a class with a daughter who may or may not have been born in Dortmund, Germany.

It's a cool place. Busted, broken down, filthy, exhaust fumigated, haunted, and brilliant. Gorgeous shiny metallic Jaguar dealerships with vertically crooked sidewalks that will break your ankle before decapitating you on the way down. I've literally seen pits in the middle of sidewalks bigger than William "The Refrigerator" Perry. There are stairs in the middle of nowhere, bumps and valleys at any twist and turn. One look at your cell phone and it's the last thing you'll ever see before falling into traffic or getting run over by the motorcycle dirt bike rider dodging pedestrians on the sidewalk to beat the traffic. Or get run over by the bus that's shooting out more smoke than the smoke screen in Spy Hunter. That's the good part of town where the President lives. The one with the 20 armed guards, armored vehicle, and lady walking her two dogs and two parrots.

Decorative razor wire, electric fences, electric razor wire. Cobblestone streets that should be called Cobbledtogetherstone streets.

But there's parrots. And Chickadee headed yellow bellied birds that Americans call Kisskadees, but the Guarani word is PEE-TOE-WAY.

They fight about all day.

They eat bats.

They have a voice that sounds exactly like a dog squeeze toy.

The people are as kind and patient and wonderful as advertised. I got to play my first game in goal in many, many years. Because of all the walking I was doing, and weight I've been losing with the juicy papayas and bright green lettuce, I had a great game. I've almost had every security guard, every maintenance man, every teacher and administrator, come up to me and tell me what a great goalkeeper I am or they heard about me. I just stood there and a few shots went off my left testicle and right asscheek, but they made me feel like Peter's brother or Kaspar's uncle. Two weeks of listening to my Nivel de Tarzan spanish, and they've graduated me to learning Guarani words. Em - Bye - Shabba is hello.

They're sending me to Sao Paulo on my first professional development. My daughter caught her first house gecko. I ate at Kamambu, an absolutely outstanding restaurant that has recreated Eliza Lynch's and Mariscal Lopez's favorite dishes.

It's a place that's really trying to put it all together. They have the skyscrapers being built, they have new teams in the first division from the countryside, and it's been a wonderful two weeks so far.

Comment

I missed at the time, but great news, and the best of luck to you all.

Can you take free-kicks? Because if so, they might make you mayor or something.

Comment

Como estais chickadee y mucha suerte. It all sounds like a Terry Gilliam movie so far...

Comment

Working...
                                      X