Hurry Up Harry Your Plane's Coming: England v Belgium Part Deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurry Up Harry Your Plane's Coming: England v Belgium Part Deux

Which British TV channel is showing this? Any early team news?

ITV have got it. It's going to be all about getting the ball to Harry, isn't it? To be honest, third place - especially one won against Belgium's golden generation - would represent an astonishing achievement for this England side.

Comment

Looks like it is on ITV.

I would assume Trippier is out. Wouldn't surprise me to see Dele Alli and Young on the bench. I suspect injuries.

Comment

Ah, England’s reserves versus Belgium’s reserves - a rivalry as old as time itself.

Is Kane expected to hang around and attend the final to pick up the Golden Boot? I’m sure I’ve seen some sullen striker whose team were already knocked out do so before.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-07-2018, 12:07.

Comment

The bronze game is always on ITV - for future reference, like.

(I mean, 'future reference' should it survive beyond this tournament.)

Comment

Yes, this fixture is just silly now. Imagine being Jan Vertonghen, say, knowing that if you go in hard on any of England's Tottenham players your manager will cut your balls off. An exhibition match at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
              The bronze game is always on ITV - for future reference, like.

(I mean, 'future reference' should it survive beyond this tournament.)
              Well, I do hope ITV is gone before the next tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                Yes, this fixture is just silly now. Imagine being Jan Vertonghen, say, knowing that if you go in hard on any of England's Tottenham players your manager will cut your balls off. An exhibition match at best.
                I would hope Vertonghen realises he has the chance to be in the most successful national team his country has ever had and doesn't give a flying fuck that an opponent has the same current employer.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                  Although an unlikely Lukaku hat-trick could snatch the Golden Boot. RTE showing appropriate respect by leaving the analysis to Aprés Match.

Comment

Is Harry Kane better off not playing this match in his quest for the Golden Boot? In that way, Lukaku would need a hat-trick to get past him and even a Mbappe or Griezmann hat-trick would still have Kane as the Golden Boot due to less time on the pitch.

Comment

According to wiki, goals other than penalties and number of assists are tie-breakers before lesser amount of time spent on the pitch though.
                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-07-2018, 17:28.

Comment

Good point.

Comment

Mark Lawrenson remains as insightful as he has been all tournament:

"Who remembers who finishes third in a World Cup?". Um, Poland, Croatia, Turkey and more. Germany probably aren't that bothered about 2006, but they have a pile of other trophies to polish. Belgium and England, not so much.

"When we look back at this tournament, England reached the semi-finals, not finished third or fourth." I guarantee that "finishing third" will be the standard media phrase, if England do. "Reached the semi-finals" is reserved for finishing 4th.

He also thinks England will win. That doesn't fill me with confidence.

Comment

"goals other than penalties"

<snigger>

Comment

If you score a hat trick on the final, that itself looks like a decent tie-breaker to me.

Comment

No disrespect to Kane's efforts against Tuvalu and Civil Service Strollers in the group stage.

Comment

There’s footage of the 1990 Third Place game on the BBC site this morning and it shows losers England getting medals. What are they if the third placed team gets bronze? Tin, cardboard?

Comment

Those little stickers that primary school teachers use saying "Good Job!"

Comment

Chocolate

Comment

Both teams in change kits today apparently, boooooooooo!

Comment

I'm going to watch this in a pub in Scotland. I've watched all the previous England matches on my own...

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                            Mark Lawrenson remains as insightful as he has been all tournament:

"Who remembers who finishes third in a World Cup?". Um, Poland, Croatia, Turkey and more. Germany probably aren't that bothered about 2006, but they have a pile of other trophies to polish. Belgium and England, not so much.
                                            Oh no, 2006's third place was a dignified end to the "Sommermärchen" (Summer Fairytale). Germany had been a bit unlucky to be knocked out by Italy but could have no complaints. They went out with full honours. Losing the play-off at home would have cast a shadow on the magic.

2010s third place was less important. But still, it's Germany. Third is better than fourth. There was a bit of pride in fishing third in 1970 as well.

Comment

Finally, this World Cup gets to drink in Phil Jones :

Belgium XI: Courtois, Alderweireld, Kompany, Vertonghen, Meunier, Witsel, De Bruyne, Tielemans, Chadli, Lukaku, Hazard.

England XI: Pickford, Jones, Stones, Maguire, Trippier, Dier, Delph, Rose, Loftus-Cheek, Sterling, Kane.

Comment

Trippier is fit? Blimey. Looked like he'd be out for a few weeks at the end of the semi

Comment

Bizarre, isn’t it? I’m surprised he’s walking let alone playing.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X