No announcement yet.

Hurry Up Harry Your Plane's Coming: England v Belgium Part Deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eden Hazard has proven himself the best player in world football this world cup. Should be a shoe in for the golden ball.

Comment

Belgium didn't respect the traditions of the game, picking a full-strength side and defending like they cared. Cads.

Feel sorry for Pope and Butland who had two chances to play in games that "didn't matter", but never got the nod.

Comment

Sad that that second Meunier goal didn't go in. Delighted to see Belgium really go for the best result in their World Cup history, and getting it.

Comment

Went to the match yesterday - not cos it was England playing, just because I was in Saint Petersburg for the day and fancied getting a game in and ticking off the ground.

Despite choosing the metro stop nearest the stadium, I’d reckoned without FIFA/the Russians ability to make things more complicated than they needed to be, as we still had to walk round two thirds of the stadium to find the entrance - only fair though, those VIPs don’t want their golf buggies being delayed by us commoners getting in their way.

Atmosphere was odd - lots of neutrals cheering for both sides, including a Korean woman behind us who started whooping like she was at a fucking rodeo whenever either side approached the penalty area. The loudest chants were for Ross-i-ya of course.

Thought England had a good second half, more enterprising than many of their games and not solely reliant on set pieces. Would’ve liked them to score, if only to shut up the Russian ABE woman next to me who was giving it big Wa-hey! cheers every time a chance went begging.

All in all, not a bad day out - tidy stadium, prices weren’t too steep compared to other major tournaments I’ve been to (tickets aside) and more grounds should sell snack bags of polish sausages as an alternative to the usual ‘stunned rat in a bun’ offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by третий сорт Лешн View Post

Atmosphere was odd - lots of neutrals cheering for both sides, including a Korean woman behind us who started whooping like she was at a fucking rodeo whenever either side approached the penalty area. The loudest chants were for Ross-i-ya of course.

Thought England had a good second half, more enterprising than many of their games and not solely reliant on set pieces. Would’ve liked them to score, if only to shut up the Russian ABE woman next to me who was giving it big Wa-hey! cheers every time a chance went begging.

And this is why I stopped watching England in tournament football after 2000. Not just because they were shite to watch. I support Shrewsbury ffs, I'm immune to shite. No, it was really because of the corporates, day-trippers and people who know fuck all about the game.

It's also why I don't watch tournament football down the pub anymore, particularly England.

Splendid isolation is the way forward these days.

Comment

Working...
            X