No announcement yet.

La Vecchia Signora compra un vecchio gioiello: Calcio Italiano 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Calaio - I'm assuming that was an ursine autocorrect.

Comment

Indeed it was.

Somewhat interestingly, Calaio featured (presumably unwittingly) in one of the earlier scandals that focused on the exact kind of creative accounting that Chievo have been charged with.

Comment

I'm disappointed now. I've heard of that other lad.

Comment

Chievo will remain in Serie A without a points deduction, as the authorities have closed their investigation into the alleged accounting irregularities.

Comment

Crotone say they will appeal.

Serie B is in a bit of a mess. Bari and Cesena are going under and likely to end up with phoenix clubs down in Serie D. Avellino may be following suit. And it's not clear whether they would fill up the division by reprieving relegated teams or adding teams from Serie C (formerly Lega Pro).

Comment

I think Bari are also one of the old clubs who have not been liquidated before.

Comment

They effectively went under in 2014, thus the required changes in name and crest.

Comment

You almost wonder whether Kellogg's could bail them out.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    They effectively went under in 2014, thus the required changes in name and crest.

Donning your legal hat, Jesus, is there any particular cultural or legal reason why Italian lower-league bankruptcies appear to occur far more prolifically and regularly than in the other Big Five leagues?

Comment

It’s a reflection of the fact that all Italian clubs are undercapitalised by “Top Five” standards and that lower league clubs are especially so, in many cases relying on a single family for funds (and getting virtually nothing from television or sponsorships, and not a lot at the gate). Lower division clubs are also much more susceptible to corruption of all kinds, as readers of the Miracle of Castel di Sangro will recall. What we are seeing now is somewhat similar to what happened in France about 20 years ago, when the football authorities got more serious about financial stability, and a lot of clubs went to the wall (though the situation in Italy is worse than it ever was in France).

Bankruptcy regimes are quite similar across EU civil law countries. This has a lot more to do with culture and economics than with law.
                      Last edited by ursus arctos; 25-07-2018, 15:54.

Comment

Most of the way down page 2 and none of you have mentioned Lautaro Martínez joining Inter yet. So I will. If he settles he'll do a fine job. If Icardi stays they've got one hell of a strike partnership with those two.

Comment

Yeah, it's looking good for Inter again; returning to the CL has really helped them with recruitment and retention. Zanetti has said that Icardi is not leaving and will sign a new contract after the window closes.

Lautaro provided a lovely pass to Candreva to set up Icardi for this goal against Sheffield United this week, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISXWsgoKhnM&t=1m32s

If I'm honest, the reason I didn't pick him out earlier is because I've never heard of him, mind.

Comment

There was a time when people on here asked my opinion in these sorts of situations. But since no one has done, I'm keeping it to myself.

(I'm joking of course: I think he has both the ability and the attitude to make it to the very top. Scored a hat trick on his Libertadores debut earlier this year, and when presented with the MOTM award afterwards said he was pissed off with himself for the chances he'd missed, and would be working on those sorts of situations twice as hard in future. That sort of attitude.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              There was a time when people on here asked my opinion in these sorts of situations.
                              So a small derail, then. What about Nahitan Nández who NUFC are apparently trying to buy?

Comment

Cristiano Ronaldo's Juventus open the season away to Chievo, and those loveable scamps just announced that they will be increasing single ticket prices by 67 percent to mark the occasion.
                                Last edited by ursus arctos; 30-07-2018, 19:39.

Comment

Cristiano Ronaldo's Juventus open the season away to Chievo, and those loveable scamps just announced that they will be increasing single ticket prices by 67 percent to mark the occasion.
                                  Flying Donkeys, indeed!

Comment

This friendly tomorrow is rather special

This is the program of the Chapecoense in the three days in which it will stay in Torino for the SportPesa Cup, which will be held Wednesday at 21.30.

The Brazilians will arrive tomorrow, Tuesday July 31, at the Caselle airport at 13.40. At 17.15 in the Conference Room of the Stadio Olimpico Grande Torino there will be a pregame press conference held by Plinio De nes Filho (Presidente of the club) and Alan Ruschel (Captain and only active player that survived). At 19 there will be an open door training at the Filadelfia.

Wednesday, at 16.30, the President of the club, the player Follman and a delegation will pay a visit to the Museo del Grande Torino e della Leggenda Granata.

Finally, Thursday morning, at 11.00 the two players who survived, President Plinio De nes Filho and a delegation will go to Superga to pay homage to the Invincibles of the Grande Torino.

Comment

And speaking of Bari, it looks like Napoli owner Aurelio de Laurentis will take over the ownership in Bari. How that is allowed I don't know.

Comment

Lotiito of Lazio is also in the running.

The theory seems to be that the new club will start so far down the pyramid that the conflict is irrelevant, but that seems short-sighted at best.

Comment

Well, there was the new rule out where Serie A clubs can purchase lower league clubs and use them as reserve teams as far up as B. Milan backed out the other week. They have a women's team instead, from Brescia and in CL QF as late as last year.

Comment

Yeah, I thought that was a big mistake as well.

The Mayor just announced that he has indeed picked de Laurentis to lead the new club.

Comment

I'm betting he buys a club with great potential, then sells it off soon and makes money

Comment

That seems plausible. Use Napoli youths to fill out the squad and sail through the lower leagues, then profit.

Comment

The ground is falling apart, though. And the municipality doesn't have the funds to fix it.

Comment

It’s a reflection of the fact that all Italian clubs are undercapitalised by “Top Five” standards and that lower league clubs are especially so, in many cases relying on a single family for funds (and getting virtually nothing from television or sponsorships, and not a lot at the gate). Lower division clubs are also much more susceptible to corruption of all kinds, as readers of the Miracle of Castel di Sangro will recall. What we are seeing now is somewhat similar to what happened in France about 20 years ago, when the football authorities got more serious about financial stability, and a lot of clubs went to the wall (though the situation in Italy is worse than it ever was in France).

Bankruptcy regimes are quite similar across EU civil law countries. This has a lot more to do with culture and economics than with law.
                                                    It's difficult to separate those three concepts at the best of times, but in Italy, they actually seem to be synonyms.
                                                    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 01-08-2018, 01:28.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X