No announcement yet.

Treble Treble, Your Face is a Mess: Scottish Fitba 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh boy. We lose a club legend (albeit one on a horrible losing run) and replace him with this dolt:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45855105

Call me when we're halfway through our promotion campaign to get out of the third tier.

Comment

It's been a weird start to the season for managers. Neil McCann leaving Dundee today takes the total even higher. 9 clubs have appointed new managers since 01/08/18 and a further 3 are currently without permanent gaffers.

Kenny Miller and Alan Stubbs were really short term appointments. On the flip side, Archibald was one of the longer serving managers in Scottish football.

Still waiting to find out who my team will appoint. Application process was closed today so I doubt we'll have a new manager in place for Saturday's trip to Arbroath but I'd expect one to be appointed before our next home game. I'm just not sure if there are any clear candidates who'd actually want the job.

Comment

I wouldn't be too harsh on Gary Caldwell, blameless; he could easily steer your boys into the play-offs. Just be thankful Thistle didn't appoint Alan Stubbs, although rather worryingly like Caldwell, Stubbs apparently gave a good interview when he got the Saints gig. Something tells me these younger managers are actually preparing for these interviews beforehand. Disgraceful!!! No wonder the old-school dinosaurs like Yogi Hughes and Jim Duffy don't stand a chance.

Sad to see Neil McCann getting the boot at Dundee as he was our last great hope of avoiding finishing bottom. A strange time to pull the trigger just as the international break is ending - it's not as if Dundee had the entire squad away on international duty. So here we go again - Jim McIntyre, Yogi? Be great if they went for Mixu.

I also had no idea Stevie Aitken had left Dumbarton. It's been all downhill ever since they lost that Diddy Cup final. And talking of the Diddy Cup, here's the quarter final draw:

Motherwell Colts v Ross County
        Bohemians v East Fife
        Edinburgh City v Alloa Athletic
        Queen’s Park v Connah’s Quay Nomads

Comment

Mixu is finding new lows with Latvia NT - we thought that it couldn't be worse but Mixu and footballers found way to disaprove us. I know that Latvia wasn't world beaters before him but he and his team performance is really dreadful.

Comment

Originally posted by CY_Boaby View Post
            I wouldn't be too harsh on Gary Caldwell, blameless; he could easily steer your boys into the play-offs. Just be thankful Thistle didn't appoint Alan Stubbs, although rather worryingly like Caldwell, Stubbs apparently gave a good interview when he got the Saints gig. Something tells me these younger managers are actually preparing for these interviews beforehand. Disgraceful!!! No wonder the old-school dinosaurs like Yogi Hughes and Jim Duffy don't stand a chance.

Sad to see Neil McCann getting the boot at Dundee as he was our last great hope of avoiding finishing bottom. A strange time to pull the trigger just as the international break is ending - it's not as if Dundee had the entire squad away on international duty. So here we go again - Jim McIntyre, Yogi? Be great if they went for Mixu.

I also had no idea Stevie Aitken had left Dumbarton. It's been all downhill ever since they lost that Diddy Cup final. And talking of the Diddy Cup, here's the quarter final draw:

Motherwell Colts v Ross County
            Bohemians v East Fife
            Edinburgh City v Alloa Athletic
            Queen’s Park v Connah’s Quay Nomads
            Last year was just a year too far for us. Fighting against the odds as a part time team in a mainly full time division was always difficult and Stevie Aitken was never the best at building squads. The way we played last season was poor and I think he got his squad building wrong. It didnt help that we were let down by players who pursued deals elsewhere despite signalling their intention to return. This year we've done an incredible job off the park dealing with some major issues and still somehow funding a playing budget but we took risks bringing in guys like Loy, Forbes and Paton. All 3 are proven at a higher level but not every player can adjust to part time football and it hasnt really worked out for them so far. Other guys have given us problems too - we've got an injury list that would frighten a Casualty script writer and most players who aren't completely injured are walking wounded. Thats no excuse for the way we've lost some of our games and throwing away a 2-0 lead up at Brechin to lose 3-2 in the last 30 minutes of the game was particularly painful.

Hey ho. Thats football. We move on and try to make the best of things. From a footballing viewpoint Aitken had to go. The way we lost the play-off final was disappointing and our start to the season has been terrible. I don't blame him for the fizzy juice cup final loss to an ICT side who were on cracking form from about December 2017 onwards. I think the club would rather have been able to focus attention on other areas than have to engage in a recruitment exercise for a new manager but whether or not he'd lost the dressing room (and they maintain he hadn't), he had certainly lost the majority of the fans. Fan pressure shouldn't force clubs into making decisions but realistically they're always part of the decision making process.

Comment

The Easdale's are back in the spotlight again bringing with them the same lovely people who were so revered by Rangers fans. Of course, they only have the Club's best interest at heart.

Comment

I'm not sure that there's anything for them to steal at Cappielow?

Unless they're looking for a site for a new bus depot?

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                  Oh boy. We lose a club legend (albeit one on a horrible losing run) and replace him with this dolt:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45855105

Call me when we're halfway through our promotion campaign to get out of the third tier.
                  He done a good job at Wigan gaining promotion, but, Chesterfield were a basket case {and still are}.

Comment

Can you all give me a point of order, when Celtic win the league? (Are you fucking kidding me? Balloch- get in here mate)

Comment

Oh shit.

Sorry.

Balloch... would you like to swap timelines?

Comment

Ah, shit, I forgot... QP lots of amateur shit, fuck off, knobend... which started with John McGregor to Liverpool. Bruv got $4.50

Which explains the 35000 to everton., and the 100k to Liverpool for a ... Physiotherapist.

Anyway, Balloch, when you went into the premier division, who could you respect?

It wasn't the guy from Queen's Park who captained your arse/ for a year, and lead/led them back downstairs? But maybe the guy who ran his legs off before he was good?

Not sure if he was captain? He lost to David McIlroy 2 of 3. That is his heritage. He is still alive.

So, there we are.
                        Last edited by Gerontophile; 19-10-2018, 12:48.

Comment

Sorry. I saw the hill for too many freebies, and my mates were going "Queens Park is a lot less weatherful"

Of course they didnt. We went all the way to Peterhead on freebies... and missed the bus back.

Comment

FYI those here, US women v. Scotland women 11/13, in Paisley as reported in the US, which I assume is St. Mirren.

Comment

Yep, St Mirren's ground it is. I believe St Mirren season ticket holders got in for free the last time Scotland Women played there in August, beating Switzerland 2-1 in a World Cup qualifier. We Paisley bastards like nothing more than a good freebie, so that probably contributed to a record crowd of over 4000 turning up.

I never thought I'd say "Let's see if Alex Morgan and Carli Lloyd will be up for it on a cold Tuesday night in Paisley".

Comment

The sum total of our "new manager bounce" so far has been two 1-0 defeats to part-time teams.

Comment

The so called new manager bounce seemed to have worked for us today. Dumbarton won 4-0 against an in-form East Fife side who were on a good run of results.

Clearly I'm delighted. I organise the man of the match award on behalf of our supporters trust and we've had a couple of games where we just couldn't give one. I'd never want to drag a player over to the side of the stand to smile and pick up his bottle of whisky from the trust member volunteer who picked him on the back of a bad defeat when fans are booing. The player wants off the park an into the dressing room and I'm not going to make it more of a downer for him than the 90 minutes have. It was a good win with some decent goals. We looked really good going forward at times and we should be able to get a bit of confidence from the result as it breaks a really bad start to the season.

Part of me feels a bit sorry for Stevie Aitken. It wasn't working with Aitken in charge but to go from a 3-2 loss that finally saw him sacked to a 3-1 loss under the caretaker and now a 4-0 win in Jim Duffy's first game in charge suggests that things just weren't right in the dressing room under Aitken. Were the players giving 100% for Aitken? Are they giving more for Duffy? Such a big turnaround can't be down solely to different tactics, although the organisation on the park was better today and we seemed to get more from everybody in a Sons jersey.

We've got a fund raiser tonight - comedy night in the function suite at the stadium. There will be a good atmosphere after this afternoon's win. Our next 2 league games are against teams we should be beating so it'll be interesting to see if we can turn this first game into some sustained improvement.

Comment

Managed to get to Murrayfield yesterday, hard going after recent illnesses but I'm happy that I managed it and it was a fairly big step forward for me.

Game was bowfing from a Hearts perspective and some of the eejits I encountered on the way to and from it kind of reminded me why I'd rather watch the East of Scotland league, I'm less tolerant now I'm an old git.

Comment

Twitter seems to have gone a bit Hearts-Hibs crazy tonight. What the fuck happened?

Comment

I flicked through the post-match stuff on BT Sport, and they said something along the lines of Neil Lennon being hit by a coin thrown from the Hearts end, and the Hearts 'keeper being punched by a Hibs supporter. It sounds like the atmosphere was decidedly unpleasant.

Comment

I watched that match. Real end-to-end old-fashioned derby. Not a lot of proper football but entertaining nevertheless. A few incidents of handbags leading to a Hibs player getting a second yellow. Then Nell Lennon came up with the most embarrassing display of sideline theatrics I've witnessed. Someone threw something small out of the crowd (a coin?) It hit him on the cheek, he then looked at the ground, thought for a few seconds and fell over. Utterly laughable. He lay there until every physio and official had looked at him and commiserated, then got back up. A close-up a minute or two later indicated nary a scratch, bruise nor welt. Obviously anything thrown at anyone is deplorable but fuck me, get real!

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                            I flicked through the post-match stuff on BT Sport, and they said something along the lines of Neil Lennon being hit by a coin thrown from the Hearts end, and the Hearts 'keeper being punched by a Hibs supporter. It sounds like the atmosphere was decidedly unpleasant.
                                            The Keeper incident was less clear on TV. Though in replay, if he was touched at all, it didn't seem enough to have him keel over backwards clutching his face. The atmosphere was excitable and noisy but far from unpleasant. It was what, I at least, would expect from a derby match.

Comment

The Lennon incident ;

https://twitter.com/deebeeug/status/1057748442276081665?s=21

I watched the first hour and there was less and less football being played as it went on (three shots on target from both sides all game) but it was all enjoyable enough. I turned over after the red card as my wife wanted to watch an episode of ‘Killing Eve’ - we could have got almost as much violence from the rest of the game.
                                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-11-2018, 00:17.

Comment

Lennon should have been booked for simulation. No scratches on him in the post-match interview.

Comment

I think we can now bin any ideas about lifting the booze ban at Scottish football grounds.

And talking of things we can bin, what about the "new manager bounce”. Let’s look at the latest report cards:

St Mirren’s Oran Kearney: played 7, won 0, drawn 1, lost 6, scored 2, conceded 14.
                                                  Dundee’s Jim McIntyre: played 3, won 0, drawn 0, lost 3, scored 0, conceded 12.

In the Championship, Gary Caldwell’s already been discussed (he’s doing shite), however there’s also:
                                                  Falkirk’s Ray McKinnon: played 8, won 1, drawn 1, lost 6, scored 5, conceded 12.

But wait!! Here’s one that’s actually working:
                                                  Dundee Utd’s Robbie Neilson: played 3, won 2, drawn 1, lost 0, scored 5, conceded 2

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                    I watched that match. Real end-to-end old-fashioned derby. Not a lot of proper football but entertaining nevertheless. A few incidents of handbags leading to a Hibs player getting a second yellow. Then Nell Lennon came up with the most embarrassing display of sideline theatrics I've witnessed. Someone threw something small out of the crowd (a coin?) It hit him on the cheek, he then looked at the ground, thought for a few seconds and fell over. Utterly laughable. He lay there until every physio and official had looked at him and commiserated, then got back up. A close-up a minute or two later indicated nary a scratch, bruise nor welt. Obviously anything thrown at anyone is deplorable but fuck me, get real!

I was flicking between this and the Dundee/Celtic game but every time I switched to H/H, Celtic scored another! Concentrated on Edinburgh after half time as it looked like providing the most entertainment. I was right. However, Celtic are starting to look ominously good again.

I would agree with most of what's been said except the Hearts keeper definitely got a punch to the face. It was more of a jab than a roundhouse but he'd definitely have felt it. Looked like he was getting hit by various objects just prior also. I don't think I've ever seen that at a football match before. The jabber should be easy to ID, I expect he'll be on the front page of The Daily Record before the weekend. Looks like he's quite young.

Then Nell Lennon came up with the most embarrassing display of sideline theatrics I've witnessed. Someone threw something small out of the crowd (a coin?) It hit him on the cheek, he then looked at the ground, thought for a few seconds and fell over. Utterly laughable. He lay there until every physio and official had looked at him and commiserated, then got back up. A close-up a minute or two later indicated nary a scratch, bruise nor welt. Obviously anything thrown at anyone is deplorable but fuck me, get real!
                                                    This, although he was definitely hit by something. I was watching him capering around goading the Hearts fans after their goal was disallowed thinking, grow up man, you're embarrassing yourself. I was also thinking that something was going to happen. I was desperately trying to get Ray Winstone on the blower to put a monkey on him getting panelled by an irate Hearts fan when down he went. At first I thought someone had clambered out of the crowd but the replays showed the flash of silver.

Now there is no excuse for that kind of behaviour and he does take a lot of vile abuse from the terraces but he really doesn't help himself. He actually called out the guy, twice, in the interview afterwards. That's just neddish and shows a lack of class. I think he's a really good manager, takes way more abuse than anyone else in the Scottish game, is subject to sectarian attacks (verbal & physical), has been very brave in talking publicly about his mental health issues but Christ, he's a hard guy to like or respect.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X