• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putin's umbrella; is it poison tipped?

Comment

Pissing on Putin's parade.

Cunt.

Comment

They could have avoided this rain if they didn’t wait so long to start the ceremony

Comment

Gotta engrave that trophy, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
            Cruel to make Croatia wait so long on the field for the ceremony to start.
            The whole presentation was a monumental screw-up (our local network stayed with it, for half an hour of thumb twiddling).

No gentlemen on the podium, Croatia's president was the last to get a brolly. Putin first, of course. They got the trophy handover all wrong as well. No dignity in it at all.

Comment

Why did Infantino have every dignatary kiss and touch the trophy before handing it over?

Comment

The BBC montage has happened. I'm been dreading this moment. I'm bereft.

Oh, ITV are still on. I've got their montage coming up now. Then I'll be bereft.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve GNR View Post
                  I thought Croatia were robbed. They played all the football in the first half and went in a goal down due to some awful refereeing. They still took the game to France but were always going to be susceptible to quick breaks forward. First half totally conditioned what happened subsequently.
                  Yep.

Beat Uruguay with set piece and keeper o.g.

Let Belgium play all the football and beat them with corner.

Let Croatia play all the football and beat them with set piece off a schwalbe that led to an o.g. And a dodgy penno.

The shiteist world champion I can remember in my lifetime anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                    Yep.

Beat Uruguay with set piece and keeper o.g.

Let Belgium play all the football and beat them with corner.

Let Croatia play all the football and beat them with set piece off a schwalbe that led to an o.g. And a dodgy penno.

The shiteist world champion I can remember in my lifetime anyway.
                    Conveniently ignoring the Argentina game.

Comment

Argentina match probably the only match in this competition where they won well. But even then they weren't playing most of the football. And Croatia beat Argentina 3-0 anyway.

Comment

You have to do what you have to do to win. I wouldn't begrudge Greece their Euro victory, for example. But Greece played canny football to get the most out of their squad. The frustration I have with France is they have all these star players and yet they revert to caveman football.

Comment

A League 2 team would have a decent chance of scoring goals against Argentina. I wasn't impressed by France going forward, but they were durable and did what they had to do. Very much in their manager's mould. But then, the best footballing teams often don't win the World Cup.

The already-excessive Mbappe hype is already irritating me. Give it a year and I'll probably be utterly sick of him.

Comment

I think France had a spare gear they never had to use. They won all their KO games without needing extra time. Their finishing was more clinical than Croatia's despite creating less pressure around the box.

OTOH as in the 2016 Euros final, they might have shit the bed if Croatia had been more disciplined at the back.

It was a bit disappointing that so many of their goals were from set-pieces. France were a superior version of England in that respect, but with better better personnel in the roles (e.g. Mbappe > Sterling, Griezmann > Kane). However, I think Pogba was the playmaker England lacked, and England would not have been good enough to score those 3rd and 4th goals, or withstand the pressure Croatia created.

I'd also agree that I can't think of a weaker World Cup winner in modern times, although it's possible that the team will peak later, as France did in Euro 2000.

Dominant team of the 21st century is still Germany: nobody comes close to their count of semi-finals and finals in major tournaments since their nadir of Euro 2004. But if France can convert this win into two or three more in the next decade, the conversation changes.

Comment

England would not have been good enough to score those 3rd and 4th goals, or withstand the pressure Croatia created.
                              Indeed. I wonder how England would have done if they had played against Croatia.

Comment

Originally posted by bix80
                                Good thing France won. Otherwise it would devalue the title. I mean, I love Croatia, great school pound for pound, but let it stay with the big dogs.
                                This is a pisstake, yes?

Comment

England were lucky Croatia didn't play this well in the first half of the semi or it would have been a thrashing for 90 minutes instead of the 2nd 45.

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
                                    This is a pisstake, yes?
                                    One hopes so

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                      Indeed. I wonder how England would have done if they had played against Croatia.
                                      Sadly, we'll never know

Comment

Originally posted by bix80
                                        Good thing France won. Otherwise it would devalue the title. I mean, I love Croatia, great school pound for pound, but let it stay with the big dogs.
                                        Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
                                        This is a pisstake, yes?
                                        Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                        One hopes so
                                        Someone I work with expressed the same opinion to me a week or so back, entirely seriously. His view was that having another team on one World Cup would devalue England's one World Cup.

Comment

Am I the only one who heard Rio Ferdinand call Mbappe "Muh-bappy"?

Comment

Sean, you might be the only one who listened to anything he said

Comment

I'm always happy when the World Cup is won by (a) a team unbeaten in the tournament and (b) a team that didn't win any of their games on penalties so, allez les bleus.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                                                Someone I work with expressed the same opinion to me a week or so back, entirely seriously. His view was that having another team on one World Cup would devalue England's one World Cup.
                                                Surely France now having two World Cups devalues England’s one by a certain amount too? I mean, if one bothered applying logic to such nonsense at all.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't spend much time trying to find any reason in it to be honest

Comment

France’s victory re-establishes England’s record of having won at home and lost every other time they’ve shown up as unique, so they have that going for them.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X