Greek/Cretan Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek/Cretan Football

I'm in Crete from 7 - 16th August and I would imagine that is too early to see any competitive football and probably any friendlies too, anyone have any idea on fixtures? I'll have the Groundhopper app which is always good but thought some advance planning might be needed.

I'm guessing this one has drawn a blank?

Comment

I don't think the fixtures have been drawn yet Harry. It's probably too hot for the teams to be playing in Greece and they'll be on tour in Europe.

Comment

I haven't looked at Greek sources yet, but the fixtures don't seem to be out.

That said, last year the season started on the 18th, so there may be some hope (unless they've delayed the start for the World Cup).

OFI won promotion back to the Super League last season, so there will be Cretan representation in the top flight.

There are four Cretan clubs in the second tier (two in Chania, one in each Heraklion and Nea Alikarnassos)
        Last edited by ursus arctos; 13-07-2018, 13:06.

Comment

Thanks, UA. I spotted OFI's promotion and am following them on their social media but little fixture info so far. I think there are some lower level teams in Heraklion too.

Comment

Opa!

Ergotelis (the second tier club in Heraklion and the "biggest" non-OFI team on the island) is supposed to be hosting a friendly against BOS (dunno who they are) on the 14th

Comment

Finally!

Comment

You in the area too then, sw2? (winky thing)

Thanks UA, will get on it.

Comment

Gah, looks like I miss a pre-season derby with OFI by two days too!

Comment

Was sort of hoping that wouldn't come to your attention

Comment

So I'm going back on the 25th of August, COVID situation allowing. I think that I would possibly get a pre-season friendly in normal years but the pandemic has thrown the season in to chaos, unless anyone knows of anything that might be on?

Comment

No "Cretan Hop" thread title?

Comment

SuperLeague begins play on 12 September.

SuperLeague 2 (the newish second tier) doesn't appear to have a start date yet.

Your best bet is to ask around once you are there, though it isn't going to be easy. Clubs are still very much on holiday as far as I can tell and there is no UEFA competition qualifying until September

(Malta and Cyprus are hosting Europa League qualifiers on the 27th, but I have no interest in contributing to the breakup of your family).

Comment

Looks like there is a Ergotelis v Giouchtas pre-season friendly next Friday and I'm hoping they're letting supporters in.

Heraklion is a couple of hours away but we were already planning and trip to the museums there and Knossos so I can append the match to that and send the family off to have dinner.

Inexplicably, the town we're staying in hosts the Greek National Football Museum so I'm totally going to pop in there too.

Comment

That museum looks great. I mean, if I’m honest I’d do ancient ruins before football matches or museums. But I guess if you can do both, why not?

Comment

My militant classicist 16 year old daughter is insistent that the archeological sites and museums come as an indivisible pair as the best items from the former have ended up in the latter.

I'n equally strong in my belief that watching sport in other cultures is a valuable part of finding out about them and my family are very forgiving of that as long as it's only around once per holiday, they sometimes even join me.

The football museum just looks bizarre, especially as it is in what appears to be a mini-mail of a small, island seasode town.

Comment

Working...
                                X