Dead Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I meant to mention that.

My parents’ honeymoon on the Gaspé was cut short by fog.

Comment

Originally posted by linus View Post
      From the expression on the clam's face.

The climate in the southern Maritimes is a bit better than in Montreal or Vermont, compared to these places, it's more oceanic and less continental, with less frigid winters and cooler summers. They do get massive snowfalls and storms but overall I don't think it's all that bad, at least not from where I stand.
      If it’s a damp cold like Britain and Ireland on steroids though, that’s almost worse than proper winters. Loads of polish folk complain about the misery of Irish winters that hardly ever go below freezing.

Comment

Yeah. "...But it's a dry cold," is the default response from prairie folk when asked about -30 C temperatures. Basically if you put on enough outerwear it's bearable. I understand the damp maritime cold can be bone-chilling, no amount of clothing helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
          If it’s a damp cold like Britain and Ireland on steroids though, that’s almost worse than proper winters. Loads of polish folk complain about the misery of Irish winters that hardly ever go below freezing.
          It's the Mark Twain San Francisco summer thing, isn't it?

I've always been fascinated by the idea of visiting the Maritimes - they look beautiful, but it appears that there's never a time of year that's not either cold and damp, or humid and filled with bugs, or maybe both.

Comment

The autumn is generally considered prime-time back East. Before the first snow. October basically...

Comment

September is even better, minus the foliage. No bugs, cool nights and warm days, water still warm in early september.

Comment

I don’t mind the cold or even the damp. It’s the darkness.

Comment

Well, I can now join this thread as, after about 2 years of paperwork and applications, we have finally been able to take the big step of leaving Germany and moving to the Maritimes. My wife got a job offer in Nova Scotia last year and it's taken the best part of six months to get the Provincial Nomination, Letter of Support, and all the other stuff we needed in place, to allow us to get work permits and ensure that VL jnr. can attend school here from September this year.

To echo some of the sentiments above: September/October are our favourite times of the year here. We've spent quite a bit of time here over the last 2-3 years, including last Christmas & New Year (15cm of snow, followed by a week of -10 or so temperatures, then a power cut on Christmas Day before temperatures went back to +10 and everything melted before we returned to Germany), summer, spring and autumn. Those autumn weeks are lovely: warm days, cool evenings, beautiful colours, it's great. Of course, this time it will be different, as we'll then be here and working during the dark and wet weeks of November and December, so come back to me then and see what I think of it! We're in a small town on the coast, so don't suffer from the bugs either. Just a few miles inland and it's a different story: all those lakes are beautiful but you get eaten alive on summer evenings.

It's going to be odd not returning to Germany after spending 19 years there, but the way things have been developing over the last couple of years there, we are not sad to be leaving the country behind. How can I put it: we didn't make the decision to move to Canada because of the AfD or Horst Seehofer, but they certainly aren't doing anything to make us reconsider this decision. The house in Weingarten is on the market too, so even if things shouldn't work out here, we won't be returning to the Pfalz with our tails between our legs! I would don my tuque to make the walk to Tim Horton's now, but it's nearly 30 degrees out there so I think I'll wander down to the harbour for an ice cream instead.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7tJ4Mou9K0

Comment

Lovely news, J.

Medium dark roast, double double.

Comment

JVL: But you're still going to attend third-division home games in Kaiserslautern, right?

Comment

Well, haven't quite got around to mentioning that to Mrs. VL yet of course <cough, cough>...

Comment

Halifax Wanderers are where it’s at, man.

Comment

A lobster roll or two would be great right about now.

Last edited by linus; 27-07-2018, 22:35.

Comment

Originally posted by JVL View Post
                              Well, haven't quite got around to mentioning that to Mrs. VL yet of course <cough, cough>...
                              Figger it out.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                Halifax Wanderers are where it’s at, man.
                                Had we been able to get a car sorted out, a trip to Halifax would have been on the cards at the weekend: and I would have done my level best to ensure that we were passing the town centre on Saturday afternoon... still, season starts in the spring so am definitely planning on getting to a game or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                  I don’t mind the cold or even the damp. It’s the darkness.
                                  It's not a very dark place, Halifax for example is about the same longitude as the French Riviera, or Green Bay. You have to go further up north to get those very short winter days.

Comment

Working...
                                  X