Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Бога Нет View Post
    England were by far the better team for 45 minutes, the rest of the match was Croatia’s.
    I don't disagree. I basically wanted to say that England are better then the sum of their parts. Croatia, however, are built around their star players. Man for man, England should have been slaughtered, but they had a game plan and almost steamrolled Croatia in the first half.
    Last edited by Defensive minded; 11-07-2018 at 22:47. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    It's remarkable to me that the third-place game is still a thing. Do any other sports, outside the Olympics, bother with it for major tournaments? I can't think of any in the US that do.
    Quote Originally Posted by ad hoc View Post
    I think quite a lot of World championships do. And not just 3rd place either, there seems to be a need to sort teams down to number 8 at least. Water polo I'm pretty sure does, and handball I think. Probably others
    As Kev (I think) noted on the other thread, Hockey (as in the 11-a-side on astroturf variant) has tended to keep all sides in the tournament playing until it has a determined finishing order from first to last, which often means everyone has a game on the tournament's final day. To give an example, the final of the 2015 Women's European Championships happened only started at 4pm, and was the fourth game of that day. The first two were the final games of a pool to determine 5th to 8th places amongst the four sides knocked out of the main competition at the group stages, followed by a bronze medal match between the beaten Semi-Finalists, then the final. However that didn't happen in the last Olympics, sides finishing playing once eliminated baring a bronze medal play-off, and is also not occurring in the upcoming World Cup with the same exception.

Teams
    Norwich City
    I don't think I mentioned it, but did see it today when looking at the world hockey league, which acts as a qualifying tournament for the world cup.

The lad Perisic was a warrior tonight. He looked like he had decided he was playing in a World Cup final and no one was getting in his way.

Teams
    UCLA, Lakers, Dodgers, Galaxy
    Biscuit
    Trader Joe's Maple Leaf cookies
    Perisic’s flicked headed assist for the winner was absolutely phenomenal, hope it gets acknowledged.
    Perisic was MOTM for me.

Teams
    UCLA, Lakers, Dodgers, Galaxy
    Biscuit
    Trader Joe's Maple Leaf cookies
    I found it odd how little of the ball Modric had. He didn't seem to be too involved. Croatia's main threats came from Perisic and Vrsaljko. If they can do the same against France, that could work to their advantage, I'm sure Croatia will be happy to keep the ball away from Kante and Pogba in the middle.

I thought Vida had a good game, but most of the ratings that I've seen have had him down pretty low.

You look so good Fantastic man
    Quote Originally Posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Belgium should have tried harder to throw that dead rubber. They'd have been runners up instead of semi final losers.
    I'd try and avoid using Belgium, dead and rubber in the same sentence, Satchmo.

Teams
    Norwich City
    The annual women's spring international tournaments do final day playoffs as well to give a full ranking - the Algarve, Cyprus and Turkish Cups all do this (though the SheBelieves Cup which is at the same time doesn't).

Biscuit
    Swansea
    Yeah I also thought Vida was good. Bloody needed to be with Lovren alongside

I have every comfort and every sport
    Teams
    Wales & Wimbledon
    Biscuit
    Dark Chocolate Digestive
    Actor
    Steve Spiers
    Quote Originally Posted by Incandenza View Post
    Perisic was MOTM for me.
    Me too, Trippier had a decent shout for it though.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 11-07-2018 at 23:10.

Teams
    Wales & Wimbledon
    Biscuit
    Dark Chocolate Digestive
    Actor
    Steve Spiers
    Just watching the highlights and marveling at the absolutely appalling shithousery of Pickford screaming abuse at Mandzukic when he was injured after their collision. It contrasted hugely with Mandzukic and his teammates lovely treatment of the photographer that got knocked over in their celebrations for the winner.

Biscuit
    tulskiy pryaniki
    Modric wasn't dribbling past people all the time, but he and Modric were excellent as usual, closing down places and making interceptions that are so good that you don't even notice them.

Biscuit
    tulskiy pryaniki
    He and Rakitic..

Me too, Trippier had a decent shout for it too.
    Trippier had a very good tournament. Along with Pickford the player whose reputation has probably grown the most. However, given the core of Trippier, Alli, Kane it does make one think the whole run was all rather Spursy in the end. Kane's post-match comments are also lines he is very practiced at saying from his club efforts.

Teams
    Wales & Wimbledon
    Biscuit
    Dark Chocolate Digestive
    Actor
    Steve Spiers

Biscuit
    Rhuallt, a small puddle near the A55
    I feel very happy tonight

i was pulling for England, but Croatia was too strong - congrats PPV!

Biscuit
    Pan di Stelle
    Actor
    Bob Einstein
    About time for the best football school in the world to get to a final. Croatia also became the proportionally smallest country ever to get that far.

In 1930, Uruguay's population amounted to about 0.08% of the world. Croatia is currently at about 0.05%.

not local
    Teams
    Dundee Utd, Gladbach, Atleti, Napoli
    Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
    I feel very happy tonight
    So do I. I raise an imaginary glass of rakija in your direction, and Mandzukic's

Teams
    The Hammers, until Mark Noble goes.
    Biscuit
    Garibaldi, dipped in tea.
    Actor
    Robert Redford
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal Alamein View Post
    i was pulling for England, but Croatia was too strong - congrats PPV!
    Should it be 'Croatia were too strong', rather than 'was'? Obvs. 'Croatia' is singular, but in this case 'Croatia' are also a collection of individuals.

I edit books sometimes. I struggle with this one.

I should probably go to bed, what with the beer, wine, then whisky...

I'm Scottish - and wanted England to perform well and win tonight. They did neither.

Biscuit
    tulskiy pryaniki
    Watching the analysis on ITV. Apparently England were way better than Croatia in the first half and should have finished them off.

They still don't get it.

England's tactics are like those of a cyclist who does a frantic breakaway attack in every stage of the Tour de France, but always gets methodically reeled in by the peloton 1 km before the finish. Yet the cyclist persists doing this, because it always almost works. And if it always almost works, then some day it will really work, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    England 2 Croatia 1

But I could see it being very close, with a very late winner as Croatia's legs go.
    And tomorrow's Power Ball Lottery numbers are...

It depends whether you are trying to edit to American or British English, johnr. Because they differ on the issue of whether a team is a group singular or a collection of individuals.

I've got the Elm Street blues
    Teams
    Carlisle United
    Actor
    Mid 90s Mike Myers
    Just home and no complaints from me, England were outplayed and out-thought from just before half time onwards (barring a decent spell in the first half of extra time, while Croatia were regrouping).

No doubt the revisionism will start soon and the Satchometer will decree that England were actually only the 17th best team in the tournament but overall Southgate made the most of what he had, it's not his fault English football produces Hendersons and Diers and not Modrics, and he took them further than we expected.

I've had an absolute blast, it's all been a bonus - I'll be 54 the next time I get to watch World Cup games in the sunshine, wearing shorts and having a laugh with my mates, so I've made the most of it. I'm about 10% as gutted as I was in 1990, unexpectedly, but I'm older and I've got plenty more in my life. For the next three days I'll be getting pissed in a field with my son, watching an array of metal, punk and indie bands, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I've not looked at the news for the reaction but can report from Carlisle that it was all quite good natured afterwards, disappointment and pride rather than anger and aggression.

Edit - and congrats PPV, I can get my Hrvatska sweatshirt out again now.
    Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 11-07-2018 at 23:53.