Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
    I feel very happy tonight
    So do I. I raise an imaginary glass of rakija in your direction, and Mandzukic's

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
      i was pulling for England, but Croatia was too strong - congrats PPV!
      Should it be 'Croatia were too strong', rather than 'was'? Obvs. 'Croatia' is singular, but in this case 'Croatia' are also a collection of individuals.

I edit books sometimes. I struggle with this one.

I should probably go to bed, what with the beer, wine, then whisky...

Comment

I'm Scottish - and wanted England to perform well and win tonight. They did neither.

Comment

Watching the analysis on ITV. Apparently England were way better than Croatia in the first half and should have finished them off.

They still don't get it.

England's tactics are like those of a cyclist who does a frantic breakaway attack in every stage of the Tour de France, but always gets methodically reeled in by the peloton 1 km before the finish. Yet the cyclist persists doing this, because it always almost works. And if it always almost works, then some day it will really work, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
            England 2 Croatia 1

But I could see it being very close, with a very late winner as Croatia's legs go.
            And tomorrow's Power Ball Lottery numbers are...

Comment

It depends whether you are trying to edit to American or British English, johnr. Because they differ on the issue of whether a team is a group singular or a collection of individuals.

Comment

Just home and no complaints from me, England were outplayed and out-thought from just before half time onwards (barring a decent spell in the first half of extra time, while Croatia were regrouping).

No doubt the revisionism will start soon and the Satchometer will decree that England were actually only the 17th best team in the tournament but overall Southgate made the most of what he had, it's not his fault English football produces Hendersons and Diers and not Modrics, and he took them further than we expected.

I've had an absolute blast, it's all been a bonus - I'll be 54 the next time I get to watch World Cup games in the sunshine, wearing shorts and having a laugh with my mates, so I've made the most of it. I'm about 10% as gutted as I was in 1990, unexpectedly, but I'm older and I've got plenty more in my life. For the next three days I'll be getting pissed in a field with my son, watching an array of metal, punk and indie bands, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I've not looked at the news for the reaction but can report from Carlisle that it was all quite good natured afterwards, disappointment and pride rather than anger and aggression.

Edit - and congrats PPV, I can get my Hrvatska sweatshirt out again now.
                Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 11-07-2018, 22:53.

Comment

I feel very happy tonight
                  They did it the hard way. Congrats.

Comment

Bah. I hate football and wish I was dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                      It depends whether you are trying to edit to American or British English, johnr. Because they differ on the issue of whether a team is a group singular or a collection of individuals.
                      Indeed, thank you. British English, in my case. Would like to ask 'which one's which?', but know I'm off to bed before the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                        Just home and no complaints from me, England were outplayed and out-thought from just before half time onwards (barring a decent spell in the first half of extra time, while Croatia were regrouping).
                        Indeed.

One of those times when an early goal....especially if you don't knock them out (in this case there's no doubt that's true)...and give the other team absolutely no fear and no pressure to play their skilled and slick passing/dribbling game in the 2nd and ET...

well it loses you a semi-final.

Great tournament for England, they looked great at times, but this one may feel a lot different as time goes by. It's one thing to chase the Germans and lose to them in penalties in a major semifinal...

Comment

Modric is a hell of a player, but a fairly poor winner, eh?

Comment

Bah - i hate football and wish I was dead.

No you don't MsD - sober up.
                            Last edited by Stobart; 11-07-2018, 23:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                              So do I. I raise an imaginary glass of rakija in your direction, and Mandzukic's
                              Any time you are in Gothenburg, you and I will get drunk at my place with rakija. My mom's got a constant shitload of it scattered around the place in various bottles sent up to her from a bunch of relatives and friends. I'm sure I can "borrow" a bottle and we'll go all native american peyote. Just bring your arse over here. We have an extra room to spare in the midst of the city. And that goes for the rest of you.
                              Unless you like Juventus.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                England's tactics are like those of a cyclist who does a frantic breakaway attack in every stage of the Tour de France, but always gets methodically reeled in by the peloton 1 km before the finish. Yet the cyclist persists doing this, because it always almost works. And if it always almost works, then some day it will really work, right?
                                That's not quite the right metaphor, because the pack is always stronger than the breakaway, and knows exactly how much stronger and is willing to give up a lead. England - all tournament - have gone out hard and run out of energy by 60 minutes, that much is true. But unlike in cycling, England might be able to score two or three goals and the opponent would be unable to come back. Croatia aren't willing to give England a goal lead.

The other thing is that England had no choice. There is no alternative set of England players or tactics that would have had silky possession and the brilliant creative midfielder seeing the gaps and playing beautifully timed balls to highly skilled forwards who could drop a shoulder and knock one into the top corner. The best England had was a high pace, high pressure game that would inevitably blow itself out - they just had to hope they'd get enough of a lead in those 60 minutes. If they played a slower 90 minute game they'd never come close to scoring. And they did what they could with trying not to exhaust themselves by keeping possession along the back three to give themselves recovery time and not spend most of their effort chasing opponents having given the ball away cheaply like previous iterations of the England team have done. It wasn't enough, but it was as much as you could possibly expect from this group of players.

Comment

Despite his great interviews and waistcoat, Southgate still doesn't strike me as a particularly astute manager, a bit like Martinez. Both have decent teams to field but the art of adjustment to changes in the opposition seems lost to them

And despite the fact he can take a penalty and wears the armband, Kane has been pretty awful since the Group phases ended and should have at least been subbed tonight where he appeared to be wading in treacle for the second half onwards.

Comment

Any time you are in Gothenburg, you and I will get drunk at my place with rakija. My mom's got a constant shitload of it scattered around the place in various bottles sent up to her from a bunch of relatives and friends. I'm sure I can "borrow" a bottle and we'll go all native american peyote. Just bring your arse over here. We have an extra room to spare in the midst of the city. And that goes for the rest of you.
                                    Unless you like Juventus.
                                    Forza Napoli! Juve merda!

My only visit to Gothenburg we stayed in an anti-drugs hostel- unlike some of the god-bothering ones in western Europe we were alowed to sleep together, but were searched for any substances on the banned list.

i'll enjoy the trip a lot better next time, by the sounds of it!

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post

And despite the fact he can take a penalty and wears the armband, Kane has been pretty awful since the Group phases ended and should have at least been subbed tonight where he appeared to be wading in treacle for the second half onwards.
                                      Yep, and (while I concede we hugely overestimate the importance of the captaincy in Britain) giving him the armband seems a complete waste of time. He seems to have little interaction with the rest of the team and no impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        I have a sartorial factoid about Croatia. The word 'cravat' for a necktie came from the wide neck ties worn by Croat (Hravat) traders.
                                        The Irish word for tie is Carabhat (Cor-a-voth)

I must say the way that croatia gradually strangled the life out of England was really impressive. There were times where they were trying to play the ball in behind for the full backs, but eventually they stopped doing that because it was embarrassing for their wingers. But it pushed the full backs back, which got them nearer the goal and away from croatia. It was fairly clear from the start of the second half, that unless england were going to get a second goal out of an "event" croatia were eventually going to methodically pry them apart. Croatia are a team of big, strong, but painfully slow players, and they had modric and rakitic pottering around making simple, good quick decisions that were the right ones for a team of big tall slow players. They gradually strangled them like an anaconda methodically strangling the life out of a rather sprightly wild pig.

A lot of the other Croatian players are no dopes either, but essentially they gradually overwhelmed England with hundreds of small good decisions. They are all so fucked though. I hope they can recover in time for the final.

Comment

Love Napoli, this recent era.

You have a place here, FIGS.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

A lot of the other Croatian players are no dopes either, but essentially they gradually overwhelmed England with hundreds of small good decisions. They are all so fucked though. I hope they can recover in time for the final.
                                            Again? Really?
                                            That's what they said after the Denmark game.
                                            That's what they said after the Russia game.
                                            And now we're doing it one more time?

'gives a shit who was knackered last game when all it takes is that bit of extra in the heart.

Comment

Ask Tactical Genius, FIGS, ask him how he's been received the times we've met.

Comment

Again? Really?
                                                That's what they said after the Denmark game.
                                                That's what they said after the Russia game.
                                                And now we're doing it one more time?

'gives a shit who was knackered last game when all it takes is that bit of extra in the heart.
                                                yeah -- at this point they're on a roll. One more match - 3 days rest, they can do it.

Comment

I'm glad Croatia have been rewarded for going for the kill in all three extra times.

Some justice there for the Portuguese smash and grab they suffered in 2016.

Comment

https://twitter.com/sgevans/status/1017169923934687232?s=21

Comment

Working...
                                                    X