You, me and PPV: CRO-ENG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
    The trial of guilty men has always been a depressing part of England's tournaments (Beckham 98, assorted penalty takers, etc). At least this time there's no standout scapegoat.
    Ya think? One is going to be found, because some people fundamentally need such a beast to hurl abuse at. It's how they interact with the world. I'm expecting John Stones to be the man selected, and Southgate to also experience a more minor backlash for selecting a centre-back 'known' to be prone to such concentration lapses.

Bottom line, there always has to be someone who can be blamed, so the frustration can be channeled. It must be some individuals fault for a mistake caused by lack of effort or similar, so there a moral failing can be ascribed on their part which justifies vilifying them. It can never be a failing of talent because then it would be a cunts trick to behave as viciously towards the chosen individual as is desired.

Comment

England will play the reserves on Saturday surely? The first team is out of gas.

Comment

I'm strangely at ease with that result.

England turned off after half-time and never really got back into it - they appeared to be playing for penalties in the second period of extra-time. The players seemed out on their feet, whereas the Croats seemed full of energy.

The fact that Croatia making the final wins me a minimum of £50 off Gloucester City fans does soften the blow somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
          I feel like England will have an edge in the third-place game because they're more likely to think third is a good result to be proud of, rather than feel down that they didn't make the final, but I could be wrong.

It's remarkable to me that the third-place game is still a thing. Do any other sports, outside the Olympics, bother with it for major tournaments? I can't think of any in the US that do.
          I think quite a lot of World championships do. And not just 3rd place either, there seems to be a need to sort teams down to number 8 at least. Water polo I'm pretty sure does, and handball I think. Probably others

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
            Ya think? One is going to be found, because some people fundamentally need such a beast to hurl abuse at. It's how they interact with the world. I'm expecting John Stones to be the man selected, and Southgate to also experience a more minor backlash for selecting a centre-back 'known' to be prone to such concentration lapses.

Bottom line, there always has to be someone who can be blamed, so the frustration can be channeled. It must be some individuals fault for a mistake caused by lack of effort or similar, so there a moral failing can be ascribed on their part which justifies vilifying them. It can never be a failing of talent because then it would be a cunts trick to behave as viciously towards the chosen individual as is desired.
            Well, for the tiny minority, the target's going to be Sterling because he once ordered steak instead of gruel. But I don't think there's going to be any collective memory of an individual guilty party from this tournament 5 years from now, let alone 25.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
              Bottom line, there always has to be someone who can be blamed, so the frustration can be channeled.
              Stones might be the candidate for people who really follow football, but for the majority (including headline writers) his culpability isn't meme-worthy. Not captured in a frame that becomes iconic/infamous. And there's enough goodwill to save him, or anyone else, from the customary vegetable-photo. So I'm (cautiously) optimistic it could be different this time.

Comment

Anyway, Croatia in the World Cup Final. That's quite a thing.

Comment

I hope they are all sleeping in those oxygen tents tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                    Sorry, what major nation with a quality team heads to a major tournament without "expectations"? The issue isn't that there are expectations, it's that English footballers aren't equipped to deal with that.
                    I was referring to the country's media fueled expectations, rather than the players'. By previous standards this team flew under the radar, not a lot was expected of them and they delivered more. I doubt it'll be the case in two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                      It's remarkable to me that the third-place game is still a thing. Do any other sports, outside the Olympics, bother with it for major tournaments? I can't think of any in the US that do.
                      Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                      I think quite a lot of World championships do. And not just 3rd place either, there seems to be a need to sort teams down to number 8 at least. Water polo I'm pretty sure does, and handball I think. Probably others
                      As Kev (I think) noted on the other thread, Hockey (as in the 11-a-side on astroturf variant) has tended to keep all sides in the tournament playing until it has a determined finishing order from first to last, which often means everyone has a game on the tournament's final day. To give an example, the final of the 2015 Women's European Championships happened only started at 4pm, and was the fourth game of that day. The first two were the final games of a pool to determine 5th to 8th places amongst the four sides knocked out of the main competition at the group stages, followed by a bronze medal match between the beaten Semi-Finalists, then the final. However that didn't happen in the last Olympics, sides finishing playing once eliminated baring a bronze medal play-off, and is also not occurring in the upcoming World Cup with the same exception.

Comment

I don't think I mentioned it, but did see it today when looking at the world hockey league, which acts as a qualifying tournament for the world cup.

Comment

The lad Perisic was a warrior tonight. He looked like he had decided he was playing in a World Cup final and no one was getting in his way.

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
                            Perisic’s flicked headed assist for the winner was absolutely phenomenal, hope it gets acknowledged.
                            Perisic was MOTM for me.

Comment

I found it odd how little of the ball Modric had. He didn't seem to be too involved. Croatia's main threats came from Perisic and Vrsaljko. If they can do the same against France, that could work to their advantage, I'm sure Croatia will be happy to keep the ball away from Kante and Pogba in the middle.

I thought Vida had a good game, but most of the ratings that I've seen have had him down pretty low.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                Belgium should have tried harder to throw that dead rubber. They'd have been runners up instead of semi final losers.
                                I'd try and avoid using Belgium, dead and rubber in the same sentence, Satchmo.

Comment

The annual women's spring international tournaments do final day playoffs as well to give a full ranking - the Algarve, Cyprus and Turkish Cups all do this (though the SheBelieves Cup which is at the same time doesn't).

Comment

Yeah I also thought Vida was good. Bloody needed to be with Lovren alongside

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                      Perisic was MOTM for me.
                                      Me too, Trippier had a decent shout for it though.
                                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 11-07-2018, 22:10.

Comment

Just watching the highlights and marveling at the absolutely appalling shithousery of Pickford screaming abuse at Mandzukic when he was injured after their collision. It contrasted hugely with Mandzukic and his teammates lovely treatment of the photographer that got knocked over in their celebrations for the winner.

Comment

Modric wasn't dribbling past people all the time, but he and Modric were excellent as usual, closing down places and making interceptions that are so good that you don't even notice them.

Comment

He and Rakitic..

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
                                              Me too, Trippier had a decent shout for it too.
                                              Trippier had a very good tournament. Along with Pickford the player whose reputation has probably grown the most. However, given the core of Trippier, Alli, Kane it does make one think the whole run was all rather Spursy in the end. Kane's post-match comments are also lines he is very practiced at saying from his club efforts.

Comment

https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1017165637343481857?s=21

Comment

I feel very happy tonight

Comment

i was pulling for England, but Croatia was too strong - congrats PPV!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X