Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preseason friendlies 2018/19

Gainsborough Trinity 0-2 Barnsley

New manager Daniel Stendel played 3-5-2 in his first game in charge and it seemed to work ok.

Tom Bradshaw got both the goals in the first half before a complete outfield line up change in the second.

Nice ground.

I watched St Helens Town v TSV Uhlbach this afternoon. Uhlbach are from Stuttgart, with the match being played to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the two towns being twinned. I think the visitors are a level higher in the German pyramid than St Helens are in the English, but as the German one spreads more quickly than the English, St Helens will have fewer clubs above them.

The game kicked off about eight minutes late, due to a lengthy pre-match presentation and it appeared that it was going to be a comfortable win for St Helens as they went three goals up with just over half an hour played. Uhlbach managed to pull one back but it appeared that the hosts had restored their three goal lead, only to see that the linesman had ruled offside. St Helens made a lot of changes at halftime whilst Uhlbach stuck with what they had. This paid off for the visitors as they managed to score two excellent goals to draw level. The hosts appeared to have got the winner with a few minutes left, but a late penalty gave the Germans a deserved draw.

Comment

I believe that Liverpool had a friendly scheduled with Chester yesterday - kicking off at 3pm.

Never in the history of bad ideas...(cont'd p136).

Comment

Bolton's friendly against St Mirren on Saturday was cancelled when the players downed tools due to unpaid wages.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
          I believe that Liverpool had a friendly scheduled with Chester yesterday - kicking off at 3pm.

Never in the history of bad ideas...(cont'd p136).
          Jah. I think you'll find most Liverpool supporters couldn't give a horses arse about England.

Comment

Hitchin Town 2, Luton Town 6.

The traditional first pre-season match for both clubs. Always an excellent game, this year televised by Sky for the first time — both teams play their first team squads — and well attended (only 788 yesterday, 'cos of the WC I'm sure.)

Comment

Why are Liverpool playing a pre-season friendly so early? Their season finished two weeks after the rest of the Premier League (bar the FA Cup finalists, who were on their holidays one week before Liverpool).

Looking at the LiveScore app, the only other two Premier League teams to be playing games this weekend were Fulham (also weird, won the Championship play-off final on the same day as the Champions League final) and West Ham. No other Premier League team has a game before at least Thursday (the limit of the LiveScore date boundary at this time).

Comment

Originally posted by JM Footzee View Post
                Why are Liverpool playing a pre-season friendly so early? Their season finished two weeks after the rest of the Premier League (bar the FA Cup finalists, who were on their holidays one week before Liverpool).

Looking at the LiveScore app, the only other two Premier League teams to be playing games this weekend were Fulham (also weird, won the Championship play-off final on the same day as the Champions League final) and West Ham. No other Premier League team has a game before at least Thursday (the limit of the LiveScore date boundary at this time).
                Presumably like most of the EPL elite these days, they farm out their domestic friendlies to reserve squads.

Comment

Shamrock Rovers were beaten seven nil by Celtic yesterday , I suppose it's an improvement on the nine nil from last year

Comment

Every first-teamer who didn't go to the World Cup played, with the exception of Oxlade-Chamberlain (still injured, I assume), Lallana, Van Dijk and Wijnaldum (maybe that accounts for the other players who were on international duty - Lallana trained with England for a bit, I think).

So people like Karius, Clyne, Gomez, Klavan, Moreno, Robertson, Fabinho, Keita, Milner, Origi, Sturridge, Ings, Solanke all got 45 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by torres View Post
                      Jah. I think you'll find most Liverpool supporters couldn't give a horses arse about England.
                      Regardless of who pretends to support/not-support 'what', scheduling a friendly up against a World Cup quarter-final (the contestants of which wouldn't have been known at that time anyway) strikes me as pretty stupid either way.

Comment

Watched Southport get a 1-1 draw at Radcliffe this evening. First friendly of the season (they should have played Bootle on Saturday but it was cancelled because the pitch was unfit) and it was clear that there is still work to do on building up the communication between players. The match followed the trend of the World Cup, with both goals coming from set pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                          Regardless of who pretends to support/not-support 'what', scheduling a friendly up against a World Cup quarter-final (the contestants of which wouldn't have been known at that time anyway) strikes me as pretty stupid either way.
                          “pretends”?!

Comment

We lost 4-2 to Bristol City last night at Weston Super Mare, going 4-0 down and pulling a couple back.

It means Lee Johnson again gets bragging rights over his dad and retains the :sigh:Johnson Cup:sigh:

Comment

Originally posted by JM Footzee View Post

Liverpool put out a different team each half. Karius, Klavan, Robertson, Milner, Keita, Ings, Sturridge, Clyne, Gomez, Moreno, Fabinho all played a half.

Comment

We bizarrely have a home friendly against Sunderland on a Friday night.

Comment

Yep, Karius was definitely playing last night.

https://twitter.com/TransferSite/status/1016781292904632320
                                  https://twitter.com/TransferSite/sta...81292904632320

Comment

Showing excellent perspicacity Hitchin, once again, scheduled their second pre-season match at the same time as a key World Cup game. Like their first it hurt the attendance, only 100 showed up last night to watch the 0–1 loss to Boreham Wood. What a surprise.

Comment

I'm amazed that there are so many games on tonight,in 2006 because of fixture congestion,Bohs had to play a league cup quarter final against Cobh at the same time as the Germany v Italy world cup semi. It actually made the papers as it was the only other professional game on anywhere in the world at that time

Comment

Southport beat Widnes 3-0 last night in a better looking performance than Tuesday. It probably helped that Southport fielded the same team for much of the game, rather than different sides in both halves as they had at Radcliffe. I was slightly surprised that the game was played at the Widnes Vikings ground, as Widnes FC won't be playing there for the first few months of the season - the artificial surface needs replacing which won't happen until after the rugby season - the Football club will share at Barnton until the new pitch is ready, which is unlikely to do much for their crowds.

Comment

Cheltenham beat Cirencester 4-0 last night, Mo Eisa getting a hat-trick to show his suitors why we're holding out for £1.5m (Posh have already seen a million pound bid turned down).

The other was scored by a trialist with a fantastic name - Kalvin Lumbombo Kalala. Sadly, that appears to be the only decent thing he did in the game and the rest of his performance was slated on Twitter (I was out playing darts so was unable to go).

Comment

Wednesday won their opening friendly last night - 1-0 at Lincoln City, we fielded a different side in each half. First time we've been to Sincil Bank at all for twenty years so we took a whopping 3000 fans. Rather oddly we only have two more public friendlies, against the wildly diverse opposition of Mansfield Town and Villareal. (Flash Scores has us playing Breda next Saturday but guess that's behind closed doors)

Comment

Burnley finished their pre-season training camp in Cork with a 1-0 win over the local side. Different side for each half, although Steven Defour and Robbie Brady failed to appear. The former picked up a calf injury earlier this week and the latter presumably is not being risked just yet.

Comment

Salford City 0-1 Barnsley

If anyone is missing hearing England songs then it might be worth watching Barnsley this season.

God Save The Queen, Ten German Bombers etc - they all got an airing. Did I mention we've got a new German manager this season? It's hard work watching us sometimes.

We had the better of the first half and scored, they had the better of the second but Ethan Pinnock played well in defence to stop them.

Comment

Shrewsbury beat a decent looking Burnley side 1-0 (og) at Burnley's training ground today.

We drew with Bristol City last Saturday 1-1 and beat Kidderminster 3-0 a week ago.

We play Brentford at home this coming Saturday. I might pop along in the hope of seeing Ryan Woods.

Means fuck all of course, but reports seem positive and by all accounts we look very fit already.

Relegated by March.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X