AEB Scramble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AEB Scramble

I am starting to panic. Alot of optomistic Englishmen about (which is nothing new). My fear is they have reasonable grounds for it.

If They beat Sweden, we will never hear the end of it.

This
    Cannot
    Happen

Wait until you have to be a Putin fanboy in the semi. (At least the anthem's nice).

Comment

I'm normally firmly in that camp, but this bunch of lads seem quite likeable and play for Premier League also-rans like Man Utd and Spurs.

Comment

Never hear the end of it on OTF or out there in the virtual world?

Comment

You should be worried. You've gotta love the Spurs boys though.

Comment

My technique of avoiding the games (which had worked v Iceland, when we went to see a film) is now in tatters as we came out of “Avengers Infinity” to the old familiar songs. The film didn’t end well either.
            Panama doesn’t count and Ms Felicity blamed me for looking at my phone as we left the cinema at 1-1 in the Tunisia game and thus jinxing it. Cannot face watching Sweden Eng in a Notts pub, so we’ll see if catching an earlier train home to miss it works.

Comment

The ending of ‘Infinity War’ is an awful lot happier and more hopeful for humanity than the ending of last night’s match.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                I am starting to panic. Alot of optomistic Englishmen about (which is nothing new). My fear is they have reasonable grounds for it.

If They beat Sweden, we will never hear the end of it.

This
                Cannot
                Happen
                Nearly drew with Tunisia.
                Beat Panama.
                Lost to Belgium.
                Scraped past Colombia on pennos.

Pull yourself together man.

Comment

If we assume that all 8 teams have an equal chance, England winning is 7-1. Still a long shot.

If the worry is that a losing semi-final will be hyped up as the equivalent of Gazza finding a cure for cancer, my memory of 1990 and 1996 is that people moved on after a few days. There is no equivalent gurning pain in the arse/mercurial manchild genius in the current side. Harry Kane advertising Shredded Wheat will be nowhere near as annoying as Gazza's fake tits and Fuck Off Norway.

Other arguments about England winning being a bad thing have been refuted on the other thread and don't stand up to scrutiny.

You also get the fun of Southgate going to Real Madrid and the next boss squandering his legacy.
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 04-07-2018, 12:08.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                    Nearly drew with Tunisia.
                    Beat Panama.
                    Lost to Belgium.
                    Scraped past Colombia on pennos.

Pull yourself together man.
                    Dude, they are going to jammy themselves into the Semi-Final at least.

Sweden are too slow at the back and too wasteful upfront to beat England on Saturday.
                    It hasn't been so crazy since they blew away Denmark in the first half in 2002 and people were printing "bring on Brazil" t shirts.

I have even heard the words "Golden Generation" uttered and when the under age kids graduate, England will rule world football for the next decade.

Luckily, I am working from home today and Friday so can avoid most of the hype.

I am shaking...........

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      If we assume that all 8 teams have an equal chance, England winning is 7-1. Still a long shot.

Other arguments about England winning being a bad thing have been refuted on the other thread and don't stand up to scrutiny.
                      You also get the fun of Southgate going to Real Madrid and the next boss squandering his legacy.
                      Refuted by whom?
                      Southgate falling on his arse after three months at Madrif is scant compensation for the "Two world wars and two world cups" Brigade. Imagine Prime Minister Rees Mogg talking about the world cup like he even knows what football is.

Comment

Dude, they are going to jammy themselves into the Semi-Final at least.

Sweden are too slow at the back and too wasteful upfront to beat England on Saturday.
                        It hasn't been so crazy since they blew away Denmark in the first half in 2002 and people were printing "bring on Brazil" t shirts.

I have even heard the words "Golden Generation" uttered and when the under age kids graduate, England will rule world football for the next decade.

Luckily, I am working from home today and Friday so can avoid most of the hype.

I am shaking...........
                        I thought the Swedes were actually stealing footballs, and were booting it out of the stadium to a buddy in the car park.

Comment

...my memory of 1990 and 1996 is that people moved on after a few days...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...no...stop, I am actually going to harm myself here... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH..."moved on after a few days"?!...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAH...about 1990 and 1996!...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH.. .the English?...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHA...

Look, I know I'm never going to stop going on about 2016 but the English have never stopped banging on about their semi-finals in the decades since either.
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-07-2018, 12:48.

Comment

Be honest now, what did you think ahead of Sweden-Mexico? How did you picture that game to end?
                            I'm not after to fu** with you here, setting you up for some sort of shit. Seriously, what did you think ahead of that and if we can forget about doing the Berba now for a minute, bringing up flaws in Mexico.

This squad has a tendency to pull magic out of its sleeve. When most needed they beat Luxembourg 8-0in the qualifiers. And again, don't go Berba on me explain where Luxembourg are ranked. They did manage 0-0 in Paris and why did no one else beat them 8-0? Still, none of that matters. It is this game here and now who always matters and that's something Sweden has been very good at for decades. Fuck's sake, 10 million people they play their 12th World cup. Two more than Netherlands been in.

I wish dalliance was here. He would bow down to this team and make them his new gods.

Comment

There is actually a chance Sweden might win. English football is worshipped in Sweden and Roy Hodgson is a demi-god in Southern Sweden. A stand in a stadium is named after him. So if there is one team that can out-England England, then it is Sweden. Sweden are like a slightly better organised version of England, who are fresher because they played 30 minutes less yesterday and went to bed nice and early without partying.

Failing that, I see England easily getting bossed off the park by Rakitic and and Modric. Of course, there is a not insignificant chance that the refs will be bribed in the Croatia-Russia match and England gets to play Russia in the semis.

But please, England in the final against Uruguay, France, Belgium or Brazil? No chance. The most they can hope for is to get to penalties, and nobody wins a penalty shootout twice in a tournament, do they, really... erm... aaaaaaaarrrrrgggggggghhh

Comment

I still think it's about 7-1 against them winning it, regardless of the bookies' odds.

Comment

and nobody wins a penalty shootout twice in a tournament, do they, really... erm
                                  Argentina 1990

Though Spain in 2002 also gives precedent for a team winning one and losing one in the same World Cup. Oh, and Costa Rica 2014.
                                  Last edited by Kevin S; 04-07-2018, 13:30.

Comment

I still think it's about 7-1 against them winning it, regardless of the bookies' odds.
                                    Gracenote have England at 12%, which is similar, in fact slightly longer (7.333-1) - though that is with a big skew towards Brazil (who they have at over 30%). Gracenote have England as the most likely finalist from their half of the draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
                                      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...no...stop, I am actually going to harm myself here... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH..."moved on after a few days"?!...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAH...about 1990 and 1996!...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH.. .the English?...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHA...

Look, I know I'm never going to stop going on about 2016 but the English have never stopped banging on about their semi-finals in the decades since either.
                                      Indeed.
                                      England came home a week after their Semi-Final defeat (they had to hang around to play the 3rd placed game) and had a ticker-taped open bus reception.
                                      After Euro 96, 3 lions played on rotation for about 3 years on every radio station.

Also the finals commentary was spoiled as the co-commentators response with every misplaced pass or missed chance was "England would have beaten this lot".

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                        Argentina 1990

Though Spain in 2002 also gives precedent for a team winning one and losing one in the same World Cup. Oh, and Costa Rica 2014.
                                        and the Netherlands 2014.

Comment

D'oh. In fact that forms a chain - CRC beat GRE, NED beat CRC, ARG beat NED.

So there you have it, brigade, winning a shootout apparently makes it more likely you'll lose the next one.

Comment

(warning: small sample size, if one of those had gone the other way it would be 2-2...)

Comment

TG - Anna said to tell you - It's coming home

Comment

Originally posted by Lobachevsky View Post
                                                TG - Anna said to tell you - It's coming home
                                                Oh lord, everyone is breaking out the bunting and their great grandfathers 1966 rattles.

I am also taking notes of the AEB members jumping ship as this tournament progresses. It's like all those undercover FBI agents in the civil rights movement.

Comment

Even Danny is on board. You may have to move seats

Comment

Working...
                                                  X