• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying opportunity for you, Eggchaser

https://twitter.com/evanchill/status/1018951213281435648

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
      No, it's not. It's pumping out shitloads of cars for a company that only started making them in any vaguely serious volumes about a decade ago, making a profit on every one it sells.
      However, the balance sheet is shit because it's also burned a shit ton of cash to get there.
      How do you reconcile the two statements above? They're pumping out a decent number of cars in a very specific, narrow segment. And doing so at their retail price. But I don't see how that's making a profit on every one if the company is not only not profitable, but chewing through money at an astounding pace.

What's more, the make-or-break 'mass market' car has so far proven unbuildable in the required numbers.

Comment

Hubris, meet nemesis. This will be the most wonderful defamation payout. He’ll surely be shunted aside soon if the board can, especially if he is just the ego maniac front end with no tech savvy.

I blame unchecked cult of Jobs for this worship at the feet of evil sociopath bastards that are more branding than substance.

Comment

Tesla sounds like a situation ripe for a buyout and stripping away of the valuable asset to just leave the debts, or an administration and pre-pack. Turn the debts to junk, keep manufacturing the thing you can sell for more than it costs to build.

And one hopes that Musk is forced to properly apologise as well as paying this bloke a shedload of money. But it won't be. "I mis-typed"

Comment

He'd have been fine if he'd contracted manufacturing out to a Magna, a Multimatic or even a Subaru / Toyota with factory space to use up. But no...he figured it'd be smarter to build it himself, which is really tough.

Comment

Again, If he just fuckin killed himself the world would instantly become a better place.

That’s my solution for 2018 right there. Seneca baths.

Comment

You're into your Seneca (The Younger) today.

You'll like this.

That's likely a statue of an old fisherman, but for many years it was thought to be Seneca getting into his bath. Rubens used it for his painting of Seneca.

Comment

I was all happy and zen and silly giddy till this the Brexit and Trump threads. That’s a wonderful statue.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                    No, it's not. It's pumping out shitloads of cars for a company that only started making them in any vaguely serious volumes about a decade ago, making a profit on every one it sells. However, the balance sheet is shit because it's also burned a shit ton of cash to get there.

It's just a weird company, if a Tesla employee farts it's huge news, they are subject to a spotlight like no other car maker, probably because of the way vested interests have been poked - witness the absolute torrent of horseshit pumped out by the Koch brothers' guns for hire, using the same playbook as climate change denial.
                    There's no doubt Tesla's achievements have been rubbished by vested interests who want to see the company fail. But the CEO being a loud, attention-seeking dickhead (even by CEO standards) who slanders random people in front of millions of potential witnesses, probably doesn't help their cause much either.

Comment

It would be impossible to 'rubbish' Tesla's achievements if they could simply build the cars they've designed, promised, and sold. Simply doing what he says he's going to do would go a very long way.

Comment

Mars, Bruno?

Comment

God Emperor of red dust. Overthrown by folk who actually have the skills needed to survive to make his Space x private colony bollocks a reality, yep I’m with you on this one Bruno. Just take away his oxygen when he suffers his Banishment.

Comment

Zzzzzzzzoooooom.....

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                              Mars, Bruno?
                              <applause>

Comment

Oh. I’m like a fusty old judge when it comes to modren music. Slow as yourself, Bruno.

Comment

I don't believe it...

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                    Of course, there'll be a movie.
                                    The documentary is already out: Operation Thai Cave Rescue, Discovery Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                      How do you reconcile the two statements above? They're pumping out a decent number of cars in a very specific, narrow segment. And doing so at their retail price. But I don't see how that's making a profit on every one if the company is not only not profitable, but chewing through money at an astounding pace.

What's more, the make-or-break 'mass market' car has so far proven unbuildable in the required numbers.
                                      It costs less to make each and every car which rolls off their production lines than it does the sticker price. Profit on each and every car. Which is then eaten by the investments they've made in expanding production lines, R&D etc etc etc . All with an animus against the company that is out of all proportion to what it does, which is make cars. Even if Musk wasn't there the scrutiny placed on Tesla is ridiculous.

Tesla produce a serious number of cars for the position the company is in, and if you want to complain about EV production numbers, I direct you to the utterly pathetic attempts by every other manufacturer bar Nissan - which has no thermal management on the batteries, and Renault, which had its brainless battery lease nonsense. Anyone who believes anything Musk says about delivery times or numbers needs their head examining.

I have little time for Musk beyond the remarkable impact he has had in starting the transition away from ICE, I am no fan of most of his nuttery, but to try and pretend Tesla the company hasn't been a game changer is wrong.

And the serious push back against EVs had started, with Koch brothers lies flooding every channel, straight out of the climate change denial playbook, shit like Toyota's "self-charging hybrids" strapline etc al
                                      Last edited by Eggchaser; 17-07-2018, 07:44.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                        The documentary is already out: Operation Thai Cave Rescue, Discovery Channel.
                                        It needs a dramatic reconstruction, though.

You know, with a bunch of Julliard wannabes and some completely unworkable love-interest. And a hero dog.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                          It would be impossible to 'rubbish' Tesla's achievements if they could simply build the cars they've designed, promised, and sold. Simply doing what he says he's going to do would go a very long way.
                                          well that's kind of it isn't it? what is happening now at Tesla is considerably different to anything that he's encountered before and he seems to be unravelling. Both tesla and Space-X nearly went to the wall in 2008, but managed to pull through, but at the time both were a fraction of the size they are now, and the problems that they faced were of a technological nature. The issues until now were to do with the challenge of doing new things. The challenges being faced now are more the fundamental issues of making a lot of cars. this is supposed to be the relatively well understood bit. These are more traditional problems and they're burning through a lot of money while they are struggling with them. It's put them in an unusual situation. Until the recent disasters pretty much any negative publicity they encountered was usually in the form of articles written by people with an ideological bent, and could actually pretty legitimately dismissed as the whining of professional haterz. However what's happening right now are articles written by serious journalists about actual problems, and Musk seems to be unravelling a bit under the weight of them. Instead of retreating from public view and resolving the problems, he's decided to double down on going all alpha, and he's been expressing strong opinions on a variety of subjects that don't seem to have anything to do with anything.

This is the inevitable downside of being the Public Face of a company, in the world of twitter, when there's no-one in a position to tell you to shut up and stop being a dickhead. He really needs to get a grip of himself.

Comment

He's at it again.

Comment

https://twitter.com/buzzfeednews/status/1037294772430536707?s=21

https://twitter.com/buzzfeednews/sta...430536707?s=21

Comment

I love that his "off the record" email stays within the bounds of euphemism for approximately several words: "there's no caves there, so there must be some other reason for this middle-aged man to visit and later move to such parts of the world, if you know what I mean? *wink wink* (I'm talking about child sex-trafficking)".

Fucking weird-lipped, hair-plugged, John DeLorean-speedrun freak. Did we even do the Azealia Banks stuff?

Comment

I don't think that any of us had the stomach for it.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is all an elaborate plan to be taken down by a defamation suit before he it becomes obvious that he cannot deliver on the production promises.

Comment

Musk forced to step down as Tesla chairman and cough up $20m after his tweets about taking the firm private.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X