Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ten million a word for "Funding secured"

Comment

"Elon Musk has asked a US judge to dismiss a lawsuit by a British diver who helped rescue a boys soccer team trapped in a Thailand cave and said Musk defamed him by calling him a paedophile and child rapist.

In a filing on Wednesday with the US district court in Los Angeles, Musk’s lawyers said their client’s comments about Vernon Unsworth were free speech protected by the US constitution’s first amendment even if they lacked any factual basis.

They also said Musk’s “over-the-top” comments came amid a “schoolyard spat on social media”, including Twitter, where participants “expect to read opinions, not facts”, and that no one could have reasonably believed they were truthful.

These statements were “just imaginative attacks; even if offensive, such speculative insults are by their nature opinion and protected by the first amendment,” the lawyers said."

Any lawyers (or others here) wanting to comment?

Comment

Just apologize, Learn and move on.

Comment

I seem to recall he repeated it didn’t he, later?

Comment

I wonder how Elon Musk would react to being called a paedophile and a child rapist. I mean, I'm doing neither, but I wonder how he'd react.

Comment

Question mark.

Comment

I wonder how Elon Musk would react to being called a paedophile and a child rapist.
                I do rather hope, daydream-style, that, in the hopefully very unlikely event of the action being struck out on the "it's just banter" grounds put forward, some rich benefactor might pay for absolute saturation coverage thoughout the US media of precisely that message.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                  Just apologize, Learn and move on.
                  Yeah, that's not really his style. This is the guy that kept tweeting about his disrespect for the SEC while under sanction from the SEC because of his tweets.

Comment

Unsworth has just been given an MBE for his role in the cave rescue.

If Musk had any sense of embarrassment, this development would no doubt trigger it - but since he hasn't, it can't.

Comment

It's strong enough as it is. I'd just leave the honours list out of it. Historically speaking the intersection of the set of people on the UK honours List, and the set of predatory paedophiles is not a null set.

Comment

Working...
                      X