Missing boys in Thai caves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing boys in Thai caves

Not since the Chile miners rescue have we had anything like it, but here we have 13 boys lost in an underground cave system which has flooded. After ten days they were found by two British (!) divers who told them they would bring help. Difficult to know what to say really, but this is captivating me more than the World Cup actually. More rain forecast but dive teams, rescue team and apparently drill teams are on site. It is at this point I genuinely wonder how far underneath the surface of the easrth they really are. I mean, a modern excavator could surely really remove 25-30m of earth within just a few hours, no?

Fingers crossed for a happy outcome.

This is not an important or even a relevant question to the matter at hand, but does anyone know why the heck they were in there?

Comment

They're going to be in there for months

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
        This is not an important or even a relevant question to the matter at hand, but does anyone know why the heck they were in there?
        Was it supposed to be some team building exercise? clearly terribly planned if so.

Comment

The thread title sounds like an album by Japan.

Comment

When the story first kicked off, it sounded like something as random as 'the team were playing nearby, so stopped by to check out the caves'. Their bicycles leaning against a railing near the entrance is what alerted someone to the problem.

A bit surprising that we don't have a Thai caves expert on here...

Oh, and some German guy who's a part of the rescue said that they're "two and one hef kee-lo-meeters underground". So...uh...yeah. Not close.
            Last edited by WOM; 03-07-2018, 12:52.

Comment

I thought I'd read that not only do they play nearby, but they were in the habit of visiting the caves quite often. Maybe not, but...if it's there, and of interest, why not. I guess once in, a series of unfortunate circumstances conspired to make this unlike their previous trips in there.

Comment

"Well done lads, decent work today, you lot left it all out there on the pitch, which is what I want to see. We'll nail this gegepress yet. You see what happens when you play for your teammates? Now, who's up for a quick post-match visit to an underground cave network?"

Seriously though, hoping they're all safe and sound soon. As Mr Cogito suggests, it'll likely be a series of circumstances that lead to them being lost or cut off or whatever. It probably seemed like a perfect opportunity to do it, and then, a couple of hours later, it evidently wasn't

Comment

I believe the caves are a regular tourist attraction and normally perfectly safe to visit at this time of year but flooding occurred weeks ahead of the regular rainy season.

Comment

I did notice that, actually, that the rainy network is something like July to September*– so you can see they might expect to be away from the worst of it.

Comment

One of the divers (rescuers) has died. Lack of oxygen.

After the boys were found and fed, you (I) kind of thought "Well, there may be some logistical challenges but surely they'll get out now." Reality has suddenly hit.

Comment

That is shit news.

Comment

Has been named as ex-Thai Navy diver Saman Gunan

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44734385

RIP

Comment

Saman Guana apparently, rather than the name the BBC have reported.

Comment

This is very bad.

Comment

Broken hearted about the death of the rescue diver. RIP. A brave man. I pray that this ends well but something in my gut says it won't. I hope to God I'm wrong.

Comment

Heard a caving expert on the World Service this morning saying that the only way to get them out is by attaching scuba gear and leading them out one by one. A trip of some 6 hours for an expert cave diver but who knows how long for a novice with an hours training. I'm hoping for the best.

Comment

Operation to get them out has begun. It'll take at least 11 hours for the first of them to be out and possibly 3 days for all of them

Comment

Everything crossed. Not that it helps one iota.

Comment

Yes, this

Comment

Hopefully the kids will pick up the essentials of diving pretty quickly and not panic. I just hope they all manage to do it.

Comment

I've always found the mere idea of caving terrifying, let alone circumstances like these.

Comment

2 of the kids are out safely! Fucking brilliant news. Don't mind saying that this whole thing is affecting me greatly

Comment

Wonderful.

Comment

Choosing the order in which they are brought out must be a horrible job. Not to mention telling the families.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X